• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Goodi and Ash sign up!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great news!!!

Goodi for 1 year and Ash for 2 years

Good they have signed Ash up for 2 years as if he has another good season, bigger clubs will be circling.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yep certainly good news especially if ash continues to improve, think robbo will sign buchanan im not so sure and i think welsh will move on.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
1 more year from Welshy would be nice, just to see how far we can get under Ronnie. Maybe guarantee him a move next season if we dont go up? He says he likes it here, hope thats enough

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is the best news since Ronnie signed his contract! I hope it will encourage others to follow.

Welshie was one of the players I was confident would stay as he was quoted in the press as being keen on a new contract. However, when it comes down to it, if the money is a lot better - and I expect it would be, I would not blame him for going. A footballer's career is very short and unpredictable. John may have only three or four years left and the extra commute is nothing. If I were Ronnie, I'd confirm him as skipper, offer him the best money I can with a three-year contract and warn him that he could not be guaranteed a first-team place at Deepdale. Although he is never spectacular, he always gives his all and is one of the rocks the team is built on, so I'd be very sorry to see him go.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good news about Ash and Goodi, wonder if it will be Ian's last season with us...

As for the others, agree would expect Robbo to sign up again. Buchanan sounds like he's hoping for improved terms to stay. I'm not sure Ronnie will go along with that.

While I would prefer Welsh to stick around for continuity purposes, I don't rate him as much as other posters like BBTC. There are enough players of similar calibre at this level in the central midfield for Ronnie to recruit an adequate replacement. Even if he stays, I'd prefer a more assertive skipper. Wouldn't blame anyone for moving on for the money, but Preston look to have a season of rebuilding ahead and it would be a difficult time to join the fray.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah boz makes a good point about Preston. It might be a rebuilding job there for a while but if they offer him a bumper deal and the captaincy, you can't blame him for going at this stage of his career.

Welsh was my player of the season so I'll be gutted if he goes as we'll have no decent centre mids with Joss, Weir and Wallace gone too

Now Goodi and ash are staying, we need the spine of the side to remain continuos if possible

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We cant be giving 3 year deals to anybody in our financial position. I feel welsh does a good job in an unglamorous role but is certainly replaceable if neeed be.

Boz, its hard to say if its a difficult stime at preston as they could quite easily do a charlton sign loads new players and be successfull.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bigmart, I'd distinguish Charlton from Preston.

The Addicks may have spent money, although unsure if they were the biggest spenders in last season's L1, but that was doing by adding a few to the existing squad. PNE are having a wholesale clear-out and their manager seems to have fairly set ways about how he wants his players to play. The new crop of players may not gel at first or at all. While they've more money than us, I don't think Preston are loaded in L1 terms, due to past expenditure, so they need to get their changes right first time. For a player thinking beyond the money, it's a bit of a gamble.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Im fairly sure Charlton signed 15 new players before the start of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Im fairly sure Charlton signed 15 new players before the start of the season.

Yeah having checked, you're right. Still feels like the went about it in a more subtle manner though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Welsh has signed for Preston on a 2 year deal.

Gutted.....one of our most underrated players and captain

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Brilliant news re Goodi and Ash, not so good news about Welshy.

Did you know that Goodi turns 40 later this year, he's doing well to still be playing at this level. Not as good as he used to be but we've shown time and again that we're nowhere near as solid when he's absent.