• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Gillingham (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Gillingham

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Rovers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gillingham (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Priestfield Stadium
Saturday, March 11, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 11, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Only one game but all these people thinking Burton is the answer to all our goalscoring problems. He was out of his depth today
It didn’t sound like any of the forwards were a solution to our scoring woes on today’s showing, but is it all down to them? Not that much ball on the deck and the central midfield seemed to be by-passed for a lot of the game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Recruitment has been really poor, but Micky will make the point that it is all we can afford.

Until we get some serious investment or the Palios sell the club, we’ll always be shopping for the value products instead of Tesco finest
Barrow and Sutton are just outside of the play offs and I'm sure haven't got a big budget. Turnbull, Morris, Hemmings and Lewis are all on decent wages for league 2. Our budget is not that bad but the use of it is another matter.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It didn’t sound like any of the forwards were a solution to our scoring woes on today’s showing, but is it all down to them? Not that much ball on the deck and the central midfield seemed to be by-passed for a lot of the game.
Hendry is a good creative player but it's hard to create much when the defence is by passing him

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
“I’m not a magician, I can only work with what I have“

I agree with this to a degree, but it doesn’t help when he makes bizarre decisions like taking hawkes off when we needed a goal

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hendry is a good creative player but it's hard to create much when the defence is by passing him
It sounded like Hendry did quite well when he saw the ball and was probably one of the better Rovers players when he did see the ball. By-passing the midfield doesn’t help, feels we’re dragging him down to our level.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I must say I'm a bit surprised at the outpouring of grief over that result. The big gaps in our starting eleven and the frailty on the bench, didn't give me any reasons whatsoever to get a result. Indeed I did vote for a defeat! Didn't want one, would have liked to be more positive, but reality gets in the way.
We are poor, you just can't get away with that line up against anyone away in league two.
It is where we are!
I don't believe we have a winnable fixture without a fully fit squad. As @Ian has said, overall, we are just not good enough.
we can't afford a new manager, stop wishing for one, unless MM quits, there will not be a chanbe.
And will things be any better next season?
Not unless there is investment.

Except the season is over, as I did say at the beginning of February.

Mickey has said time and time again, supporters will expect certain things when players wear the shirt. I don't think the owners can afford that!
Changes cost more!

And our future depends on it!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
But, as Manager, he had direct input into determining the level of quality available through the recruitment process.
Money determines the level of quality available. We've mostly been shopping in the bargain basement.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It didn’t sound like any of the forwards were a solution to our scoring woes on today’s showing, but is it all down to them?
It is largely down to the forwards to get goals. There have been many many opportunities over the last few months to score goals in games but we have not had the right quality to do it. The amount of balls into the box or chances in and around the box that have not been attacked or finished well is quite amazing. A decent striker would have eaten them up. I think with a player such as Cook, he'd be on the 15+ goal mark by now.

ADD

Player
Norwood
The football was fine when we had players capable of competing but now we don't (that was a few seasons back). It will also never be great quality in league two. Most teams in this division are dull and uninspiring because there is not much quality between them. What amazing changes could Micky make that will work with these players? Let's take Burton as an example. "What does Burton have to do to get a game?!" yell the supporters. Well there you go, he's played him and he's been awful, just like the rest of the forward line. So what now? Shall we turn to Max Fisher? They just aren't good enough, simple as that.

We seriously need to focus on recruitment and we need investment if the quality of players are to improve.
Changing the manager is like putting lipstick on a pig IMO.
Well in answer specifically to your question re Burton do not play him and then lump aimless high balls to him when he is about 5 foot 7 and will be beaten by a big CB every time! Maybe try and exploit space behind the back line when his pace (of which there is no doubt irrespective of his other abilities) might just possibly you know enable him to find space. It's so obvious it just isn't funny - the Ifollow commentators were saying it right from the get go today and fair play to them even they as the most positive of positive supporters were by the end saying recent tactics/ performances simply are poor irrespective as to who is on the pitch.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe try and exploit space behind the back line
The players aren't good enough to play tippy tappy football and thread balls through to the forwards. When they get it they largely just lump it upfield. When they did try to play it on the floor, there were times when it simply failed to find a player or it went out of play. Tranmere's passing pertentage was something like 52%. That's rubbish, so good luck with trying to exploit space behind the back line. I don't think division two football particularly suits two pacey forwards, nevermind ones that don't have a goal between them! You need someone that can hold up the ball or at least cause defenders problems and can throw themselves about a bit. And Mumbongo certainly does not fit the bill.

Micky post match will talk about the players not performing. What he really wants to say is they really do not have the desired quality. He was close to saying this today but did not for obvious reasons. The club decided to go down the 'experimental route' this season and so therefore must suffer the consequences. We won't go up or down so is this seen as a success by the board in their first experimental season? Not by the fans of course but the board may have a different agenda. Frustrating for Micky though either way.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Long balls up never going to work for Burton. Though given Mumbongo’s lack of aerial prowess if we’re not changing the delivery forward might as well put Max Fisher up front.
Burton was fed balls to feet several times today and still failed to retain possession.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is largely down to the forwards to get goals. There have been many many opportunities over the last few months to score goals in games but we have not had the right quality to do it. The amount of balls into the box or chances in and around the box that have not been attacked or finished well is quite amazing. A decent striker would have eaten them up. I think with a player such as Cook, he'd be on the 15+ goal mark by now.
That wasn’t true of this game though, was it? We didn’t play to the strengths of those two who were up top, neither did we make good use of our ball-playing midfielders Hendry and Merrie.

Unconvinced that we’ve missed a shedload of good chances either. I can remember a couple of good balls in the Bradford game, which perhaps Hemmings or Saunders should have reached.

Player
Manager
John King
So we just keep Micky as manager then season after season playing the same way?

The football is dull and uninspiring and is unlikely to improve much regardless of what players we bring in
Yes, if we remain stable in League Two. With this group of players we would be in a relegation battle under many managers. The striking options are appalling.

There is no magic wand to improve matters until we a) receive investment and b) improve the quality of the playing squad, particularly the forwards.

Player
Manager
John King
“I’m not a magician, I can only work with what I have“

I agree with this to a degree, but it doesn’t help when he makes bizarre decisions like taking hawkes off when we needed a goal
Hawkes was poor today and was deservedly hooked. People can't on the one hand claim Mellon never changes things and then also criticise him when he does.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Burton was fed balls to feet several times today and still failed to retain possession.
I specifically said "exploit space behind the back line"... I never mentioned playing balls into feet with his back to the goal but hey if that suits your agenda of decrying anyone who disagrees with you fair enough.

Player
Manager
John King
It was the performance and result I expected when I saw the teamsheet.

It was a game of low quality and fairly even in general play, but once again we were extremely poor in and around the eighteen yard box, barely testing their keeper all game. Saunders was bright in the first half and did force a couple of half chances, but Burton was poor and anonymous and Mumbongo scarcely any better when he came on. I thought both Hendry and Merrie had decent games in midfield and fed the strikers to feet in good areas on several occasions, but they did absolutely nothing with it. The first touch was poor, there was a lack of robustness physically and a failure to link the play. With the possible exception of the 2014-15 relegation season, this is the worst collection of strikers in my forty years of supporting the club.

The goals we conceded were also very poor defensively. We were disorganised for the set play in the first half, and I don't think we would have conceded in that situation had Davies been on the pitch. The second goal was a straightforward error by Jamieson. I would love to see our clean sheet stats this season, with and without Jamieson. He simply is not good enough.

I thought Turnbull and Hendry had good games and were our best players.

It is interesting to compare the situation at the two clubs. There was a buzz around the ground at the final whistle as Gillingham are in automatic promotion form since their new owners arrived in January. In the first half of the season, with the same experienced manager, they scored seven goals in twenty two games and were well adrift from safety. Until we receive investment and significantly improve the playing squad, we won't make similar progress.

Player
Manager
John King
I specifically said "exploit space behind the back line"... I never mentioned playing balls into feet with his back to the goal but hey if that suits your agenda of decrying anyone who disagrees with you fair enough.
I was not replying to you, if you bother to read my post properly. Are you paranoid ?

Burton's performance was inadequate today. He did not deal well with any kind of service, which included balls into feet. It is League Two football, so the ball is bound to go long on many occasions, as it did to Gillingham's forwards, who dealt far better with the mixed service they received.

ADD

Player
Norwood
The players aren't good enough to play tippy tappy football and thread balls through to the forwards. When they get it they largely just lump it upfield. When they did try to play it on the floor, there were times when it simply failed to find a player or it went out of play. Tranmere's passing pertentage was something like 52%. That's rubbish, so good luck with trying to exploit space behind the back line. I don't think division two football particularly suits two pacey forwards, nevermind ones that don't have a goal between them! You need someone that can hold up the ball or at least cause defenders problems and can throw themselves about a bit. And Mumbongo certainly does not fit the bill.

Micky post match will talk about the players not performing. What he really wants to say is they really do not have the desired quality. He was close to saying this today but did not for obvious reasons. The club decided to go down the 'experimental route' this season and so therefore must suffer the consequences. We won't go up or down so is this seen as a success by the board in their first experimental season? Not by the fans of course but the board may have a different agenda. Frustrating for Micky though either way.
Not asking for tippy tappy - we all know we are not good enough for that but at least if we try and find space we have some chance given we have no out and out big CF.

Lumping it forward almost guarantees we lose possession as we clearly did almost of the time with Saunders and Burton up front.

Anyways season over - we can all look forward to seeing what if anything transpires in close season if not before.

Player
Manager
John King
That wasn’t true of this game though, was it? We didn’t play to the strengths of those two who were up top, neither did we make good use of our ball-playing midfielders Hendry and Merrie.

Unconvinced that we’ve missed a shedload of good chances either. I can remember a couple of good balls in the Bradford game, which perhaps Hemmings or Saunders should have reached.
Hendry and Merrie were actually quite prominent in the game today and played well I thought. The service to the strikers was variable in quality, but good enough at times. We did not exclusively play long balls.

If you put a Cook or Norwood ahead of this midfield they would not have a problem.