• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Gavin Ward's best XI

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nice little article for all forum posters and lurkers this week. White Review's boot sponsor, Gavin Ward selects his best XI made up entirely of players he's played with during his career.

Credit goes to The League Paper for supplying the article.

Goalkeeper
Nigel Spink - Retired
I have worked with some great keepers, but Nigel stands out for me as being a bit special. I was an apprentice at Aston Villa when Nigel was the first team number one and, in my eyes, he was different class. There were times at training when he was simply unbeatable. He dominated his box well, the ball would stick in his gloves and his technique was fantastic. He used to pass on tips to me and I was just in awe of him.​

Right wing-back
Graham Alexander - Preston
There's no doubt in my mind that Graham deserves a chance in the Premier League. He's played for Scotland for a few years and got plenty of experience under his belt. On the ball he's just different class. He's right footed, but he can use both feet and not many players can do that. He's Mr Dependable and could bomb on playing as a wing-back.​

Centre-half
Steve Walsh - Retired
Steve was a typical old-fashioned centre-half ­ he would go in and clear everything out, including the keeper if necessary, to stop the ball going into the back of the net. He was a no-nonsense player and a good leader. I played with him at Leicester and he was outstanding when we went up to the Premiership. He was a fantastic servant to Leicester and had the knack of popping up with some vital goals. He lives out in Spain now.​

Centre-half
Kevin Ratcliffe - Retired
Kevin was coming towards the end of his career when I played with him at Cardiff City, but he was still a class act. He had lost a bit of pace by then, but he was still quick. However, it was his reading of the game that really stood out he was always in the right place. He was also good on the ball. I had just broken into the Cardiff team and Kevin used to make my life easier by the way he performed in front of me.​

Centre-half
Gudni Bergsson - Retired
Gudni was the consummate professional when I played with him at Bolton and it was easy to see why Sam Allardyce was so keen to keep him at the club for as long as possible. He wasn't brilliant on the ball, but as a defender he was fantastic. He was quick and read the game well; and was a pleasure to play with. Now carving out a new career as a lawyer back in his native Iceland.​

Left wing-back
Nathan Blake - Newport County
A few people will be suprised I've picked Nathan in this position, but at Cardiff he used to play on the left at times or up front. We grew up in those years at Cardiff and I could see that Nathan had it all. He's had a great career, but he could have gone on to do even more with the pace and power he possessed. I also played with Nathan at Bolton and I remember him once giving Gary Pallister a torrid time in a 1-1 draw with Man United. On his day he was a world-beater.​

Midfield
Brian O'Neil - Preston
Brian has been a bit unlucky with injuries, but he is undoubtedly a class act. He played for Celtic for years and in Germany and it's easy to see why. He never gave the ball away and he was very dependable. At Preston he linked up really well with Paul McKenna. Paul was more creative, but Brian would get it and pass the ball about well. He could do the lot and was the kind of player you wanted in your team;­ very under-rated.​

Midfield
Sasa Curcic - Retired
Sasa's creativity and skill on the ball was unbelievable ­ he was a bit like Georgie Kinkladze in that regard. When he got the ball and went on a run you couldn't get it off him. Football is a team game, but Sasa was a bit selfish at times when he was at Bolton. In this formation he could do his thing and you could get away with it. Being a Villa fan, I was disappointed he didn't fulfil his potential there.​

Midfield
Scott Sellars - Retired
It was a really tought choice between two former Bolton players in Scott Sellars and Alan Thompson, but Scott has just edged it. Scott had the best left foot I've ever seen,­ he could open up a tin can with it. His technical ability was second to none and the one thing that probably stopped him playing for England down the left-hand side was a little bit of pace. However, he could open up any defence.​

Forward
Peter Beardsley - Retired
I played with Peter at Bolton at the back end of his career and his enthusiasm was still infectious, he was first in for training every day. He was always looking to get on the ball and it was a pleasure to train and play with him. He could unlock defences and weigh in with goals as well.​

Forward
David Nugent - Preston
I've gone for a pretty experienced team, but David adds a bit of youth. For me, he's the best finisher I have come across and is destined to go a long way. He's got a lot to learn, but his finishing is unbelievable. From a keeper's point of view he's so tough to face because he takes his shot so early and there's no backlift. Bang, and the ball's in the net. David's a crazy Scouser, he's barmy and he's like a little kid in that he just loves playing football.​

For similar interviews and great Rovers features and match reports buy The League Paper, every Sunday/Monday.​

lp.gif

The League Paper - The Ultimate Paper For The Football League Fan!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Good little article that... always interesting to see who players think are the best they have played with. It can throw up some surprises at times. No Tranmere players in there though. :wink:

B

Banana Army

:???: Hasn't he been in the same team as Ellison yet? :???: