• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Gavin Ward??

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Morning Guys

Is there any truth in the rumour that we've provisionally signed Preston keeper Gavin Ward. Apparently he's penciled in for a 12 month deal, depending on the appointment of a new manager.

Has anyone else heard anything?

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
The unofficial crewe sites are certainly carrying the story that Ward has signed for us. Which we of course know hasn't happened (or at least has not been finalised) because we still have no manager.

It's quite believable because we do need a goalkeeper, or perhaps two if Achto's injury is serious. Guess it's another case of wait-and-see.

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
I was looking at this post today and it came to my mind that if you get someone on a provisional agreement then the player comes when his contract is up.

If this story is true i would predict we sign Ward on Friday 30th June or Saturday 1st of July. Just a thought but it would seem fairly straight forward. :roll:

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
According to the official site Gavin Ward has signed on a one year deal.

Happy days at Prenton Park =D> =D>

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Yep signed up. I am going to reserve judgement as it's been a while since I've seen him in action. Not a regular for Preston last season, but i remember him as a steady keeper which is maybe what we need, but I hear Johnny A is returning to light training when they come back to work tomorrow, so hopefully we can have 2 good quality and experienced goalkeepers in our ranks. :-D

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I think he will do well for us for a year... not too sure about after that but he has only signed for a year so that doesn't matter at the moment. Hopefully Achto comes back and doesn't have any problems as he starts his light training.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Age isn't as important with keepers and he's certainly experienced and proved over the years he's a dependable keeper.

jim

Unfortunately today, he also proved he can have an absolute howler!

Sorry Gavin but I for one would like to see Achterberg back between the sticks and the sooner the better.

Player
Liam Palmer
In shock

Obviously the Rovers players' Christmas party started at 3.04pm this afternoon. They disappeared off somewhere.

Certainly the defence handed out a few early Christmas presents.

Shocking second half. There is just no Plan B when Plan A stops working.

How many times are we going to give away a two-goal lead this season?

Just not good enough, sorry!

#-o

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, he had a bad game. A very bad game, but against his other 20+ good games, I think it's not too bad a record. Don't forget, he had a ***** defence in front of him as well. Calling for him to be replaced after one bad game is a bit ridiculous.

Player
Morrisey
I think he is a fantastic shot stopper, but from the limited action I have seen so far I am always nervous when he is in the air.I would say drop him.

jim

Calling for him to be replaced after one bad game is a bit ridiculous.

I think he's got gradually worse for me as games go on. I'm not saying he should be replaced based on this one game, that was simply the straw that broke the camels back for me. And yes the defence didn't help matters but I think Achterberg bosses them a hell of a lot better than ward does.

I don't think he's a bad keeper, just the less good keeper of the two in my opinion.