• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Gateshead v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Next up a trip to the North East. Links; Danny Johnson had a loan spell for us in Mickey Adams' revolving door spell, while think Liam Hogan has picked up a fifth booking so will miss this one. They've just signed Jordan Burrow who got a decent goal tally for relegated Halifax The hosts are in erratic form, but have already beaten Rovers in Paul Carden's last game in charge. It will be a much stronger line-up this time.

No clues on the Rovers line-up. With Ridehalgh likely to be absent, will Hughes be moved to left back, or Micky stick with Ihiekwe or give one of the youngsters a try. I'm unsure, but as he didn't shift Jeff there on Saturday, the other two options may be more likely. I'm not expecting Wallace to start in this one, while the starting front pair also hard to predict, given comments made about Mangan's lack of match fitness. Think I'd start with the two Andy's again.

Prediction: Should be a reasonable turnout for the SWA. The result depends on which Heed show up, but we ought to get at least a point.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Gateshead were the last team to beat Rovers in the league, in a low quality game where we were ravaged by injuries and fielded an effective reserve side: a lot has changed since then. Gateshead looked mediocre in that match, but they have since been on a long unbeaten run which was only ended with defeat at Woking on Saturday. They have a decent squad at this level with the ex-Wrexham contingent of Manny Smith, Fyfield and Wes York, in addition to the players Boz mentions.

In terms of our own side, I think Rovers will once again use the midfield diamond and I would guess that Ihiekwe will start at left back, as he did ok in that position on Saturday. I actually think Wallace will start, with Jay Harris most likely to make way.

A lot of Gateshead's recent matches have been drawn, and if I was pushed I would probably predict a score draw for this one. However, we should be aiming for three points and have a big incentive: if we win the next two matches we will be top of the league at 5pm on Saturday.

After the recent away trips to Dover, Braintree and FGR, I can't see many Rovers supporters making the journey for this one. I think we will take about 150 - 200 fans, of which I will be one.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm hopeless at predicting turnouts, but thought because of the northern location, a few who'd not gone to the three games you listed might show for this.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm hopeless at predicting turnouts, but thought because of the northern location, a few who'd not gone to the three games you listed might show for this.

Possibly, but we had a very big turnout (for a Tuesday game) at FGR last week, which was comprised mostly of people who travelled from the Wirral. I can't see many of them turning out again tomorrow night.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Could be quite a tricky game this one and I think we need to be a little bit more direct instead of fannying around at the back. Reading MM comments on Wallace it sounds like he wants him straight in the side so I agree with RLC about making the starting XI.

If we can win this that really puts us in a great position for the weekend games and maintains our excellent unbeaten run. Enjoy the game RLC!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought all of our midfield did fine in the last game, which we won. Micky hasn't tended to change a winning side but drops Harris for example to shoehorn Wallace in. Contrary to most people's fears, JW doesn't succumb to injury, so for the rest of his loan spell starts every game. Come January, on the strength of what he's done with us, the Blades or another FL side offer him another deal, so he's off. The player he's replaced has been restricted to the odd cameo off the bench and is no longer match fit. Mentally they are demoralised to an extent, having been frozen out, yet are now expected to carry on where they left off.

The best case scenario would be for Wallace, having proved his fitness, to stick around for the rest of the season, but given his ambition, that's unlikely. It will be a test of MM's man-management skills to keep the deposed player fit and motivated.

drwhoman

Fair comment Boz but how are Mekki and now Dawson feeling with Tollit at Prenton? As often Klopp said it right the other day with reference to his squad. 'They are all good players and members of the squad. They should be happy knowing that their chance may come anytime'.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I can see where Boz is coming from with this.

I agree that Harris played well on Saturday, as did the midfield in general. We didn't win the game more easily because we missed chances and the defence gifted them a goal. No matter how good Wallace is, if I were Harris I'd be a bit miffed if I was dropped tonight. Although Ihikwe did ok on Saturday at LB he was rarely tested so I would put Hughes at LB and Wallace in the middle along with Harris, Maynard and Tollit if playing a diamond again.

Drwhoman - I think the difference with Mekki/Dawson and Tollit is that even before the latter came, Mekki had hardly featured and Dawson wasn't with us. Whereas Harris has been an important member of the squad this season.

I guess we'll find out it in about 11 hours or so!

Player
Manager
John King
I think boz is making a negative from a positive. For example, Kirby was excellent at fgr but was dropped for the Torquay game. That is what happens in a squad and I doubt his confidence will be unduly affected as he gets on with Mellon. You play the best team to ein the game and if wallace does well he will be here all season anyway.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pleased if Hogan is suspended for them. I always liked him and he's decent at this level. Further forward though this will be another test for the defence as their front 2 have over 15 goals between them plus the dangerous wide man Wes York, who if he is up against Ihikwe, could have a field day. Lets hope not.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I suppose it all depends on how much of a team player you are but MM has already adressed this by saying we are a team, not a team of individuals and the aim is to win games of football.

If JW does stay fit all season, we'll have one of the best midfielders in the league. MM seems genuinely excited about having JW in the squad and will play him as much as possible.

It must be a difficult job as a manager keeping players happy but they need to know the end goal and it's nice at the end of the day to have options :)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm curious how you reach the view that if Wallace does well, he'll be here all season, RLC. History suggests if he gets fully fit, he'll move on

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sheff Utd fans clearly want rid of Wallace and still scratch their heads as to why Nigel Clough gave him a 3 year deal.

However I suspect there will be a few L2 clubs who if they see JW playing regularly for us and doing well, may offer Sheff Utd a nominal fee to take him off their hands. I'm sure he would prefer a league club to us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it's all about proving his fitness at this stage. If he can get through the next few weeks, I think we'll have a good chance to keep him till the end of the season. I'm sure he'd want to play in the football league as would most footballers but let's just see what happens. I'm still not convinced he'll stay injury free.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wallace on the bench, Kirby and Ihikwe start.

Vaughan not in the squad. Dropped after his error? Surely not.

Player
Manager
John King
Vaughan must be injured I think. Full backs seem to be ihiekwe and Hughes.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would be harsh to drop Vaughan for one punished error when others made more that didn't prove so costly. Think there may be other explanations for his absence

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great start!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
following the game on twitter appear to be hanging on somewhat in the 2nd half, norwood on for cook Wallace for mangan