• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Friendlies

No news from the club yet but Vauxhalls have announced they're playing us at their place on August 3, a week before the season starts.

Doesn’t say if it’d be the full first team or a Rovers Xl.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bit surprising if it is the first team as normally we build up to a home game against a side from a higher league.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I would guess it won’t be the first team as that close to the season you want a strong opponent as Boz points out. Maybe the Saturday before we’ll have a home friendly against a Wigan or Preston type

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Vauxhall is never a full first team starting eleven.
We usually have two elevens, one playing first half and second playing second half.
We usually play a midweek fixture before that Saturday, usually, a league one team (ish)
The Saturday before that midweek fixture is usually from VFL or North FL.
Obviously not written in stone, but that is normal pre-season.
Is anyone aware of a summer camp for the first of second week of pre-season?

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The Vauxhall fixture is an XI.
When the others don't say that.
So I would suggest that it will be only a few first teamers, and mostly youngsters playing.
Three games in a week is not really conducive to some of our first team. So I do think there will be a lot of subs or as in the first one two different elevens.

Not bad, but no money spinners.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is a marked change from previous pre-seasons. It’s unusual to have our first public match just two weeks before the season starts and then another two games in the next week (not counting the Vauxhall run out for trialists and youngsters).

I approve. We will have some private matches in July to build fitness and then an intensive week to gain match fitness before the first league game. I think the two home games will be good tests and should attract a reasonable attendance, particularly if Apter plays.

I think the two home games will be good tests and should attract a reasonable attendance, particularly if Apter plays.
Like us, Wigan are also playing again the day after our Friday night game, so I reckon we’ll be facing quite a mixed eleven in that one. Still, it’s all about fitness and preparation I suppose.

Btw the proper fixtures come out three weeks tomorrow. Not that I’m counting down.. :D

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Twitter is in meltdown, everyone plays their local junior sides and a couple better. Big games are great if they can be got.
Not sure 25 with mass subs lends itself to having other fixtures.
Fitness is gained on sandhills not matches. Match practice is a different issue. Pretty sure Nigel is well on top of this

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Like us, Wigan are also playing again the day after our Friday night game, so I reckon we’ll be facing quite a mixed eleven in that one. Still, it’s all about fitness and preparation I suppose.

Btw the proper fixtures come out three weeks tomorrow. Not that I’m counting down.. :D
Ah see your point, might get scrapped unless we have juniors but I thought we binned them and signed no 18 year olds. 22 x 90 mins out of 25 bods? He even talked of signing after the start?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We play Blackburn Rovers July 13th behind closed doors, 2 60 minute games according to their site.

Last edited: