• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Trophy - Rovers v Wrexham

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
So, our first venture into the FA Trophy involves a home game with one of our deadliest rivals. Personally, I'm delighted with the draw. It's at home, will generate huge interest locally and should draw a decent gate. Although the draw splits teams into north and south, we could still have had a long, awkward away trip. It will be a welcome distraction from the league, won or lose.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
How many rounds are there exactly?

Now that I've banished any hope of going to wembley this season through the play offs, this may be a more realistic option!! Although a tough draw albeit at home.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
How many rounds are there exactly?

Now that I've banished any hope of going to wembley this season through the play offs, this may be a more realistic option!! Although a tough draw albeit at home.
There are six rounds, which include a two-legged semi-final. So, that's a minimum of seven matches to win this trophy. It's a tall order and I still think we've a better chance of reaching Wembley via the play-offs, if we can put together a decent run of form and have better luck with injuries.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
So, our first venture into the FA Trophy involves a home game with one of our deadliest rivals. Personally, I'm delighted with the draw. It's at home, will generate huge interest locally and should draw a decent gate. Although the draw splits teams into north and south, we could still have had a long, awkward away trip. It will be a welcome distraction from the league, won or lose.

I agree. If we can win this it might actually gives us the morale boost we need. If nothing else, there will be a decent gate and a good atmosphere.

If we had drawn Nuneaton or Chorley away we would probably have lost in our current state.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Cripes, there's some small teams left in the draw aren't there? Wouldn't have minded a trip to Nuneaton or Leamington, my neck of the woods that!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Neither the FA Cup nor this competition have thrown up any unusual opposition for Rovers and I can see the game going in a similar way to Lincoln. Had we drawn one of the smaller sides, I'd have made an effort to get to the game, but will catch Wrexham in our league encounter.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If you'd asked me about a month ago about this competition, it would have been low on the list of priorities. However,with our prospects of making the play-offs receding, coupled with the need to find a winning formation, my guess would be that Brabin will want to progress in this competition and field a strong team.

I'm unsure if we've permission to field Vaughan and Dawson, as they play for other National League Clubs, but Tomlinson and McNulty will be available. I don't think I'd start Dawson, given he will be going back to Kidderminster after this game, but would play Vaughan, if permitted. Riley and Hogan are definitely out, GTF and Harris injury doubts. My preference would be to give a few of the fringe players a start and would look at a line-up something like;

Davies
Vaughan Sutton McNulty Ridehalgh
Mekki Maynard Jennings/Harris Kirby
Norwood Tomlinson

Wrexham are in a better position in the league than us, but I would expect then to field a fairly strong side too.

It is going to be interesting to see the crowd size for this. Would expect at least a couple of hundred from across the border. However, despite the reduced ticket prices, I'd expect a number of the SWA to vote with their feet and stay away, given the poor calibre of recent fare at PP. Probably around 2k attending.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This will be the first game at PP I miss this season. Conflicting festive activities mean the missus has put her foot down but after recent showings at home, I'm not too upset.

As has been suggested it'll be interesting how seriously GB takes the competition. It is a potential trip to Wembley which if came true, would ease a lot of pressure on GB, depending on how the rest of the season progresses. GB may see this or may prefer to use it to try different things out (he has hinted a change in approach to a more defensive mode may be trialled). Surely if ever its a chance to give Kirby a game and Mangan should be dropped. As Boz suggests why not try Ridehalgh at LB although I recall last season he had some nightmare games but so did others.

Dropping Mangan means Tomlinson is the only other choice up front who has not impressed yet. But GB has brought it on himself by shipping out Margetts incorrectly in my view.

This may one of those games where we adapt better to our opponents - however if things start badly....it could be a difficult atmosphere...

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Well given Brabin's comments about making changes (although we'll have to see whether this was more media mush) I suspect Boz's selection won't be far from the reality. Kirby should be on from the start and if Vaughan is not permitted to play I'd have Iheikwe at right-back, if he is allowed to play I'd have Iheikwe at centre-back instead of McNulty, who for me is literally a dead weight. If Harris is fit Jennings should drop to the bench as he's been dreadful of late. Up front I'd leave Mangan in place given Margetts move to Stockport as Tomlinson for me, even though played out of position for most appearances, doesn't cut the mustard.

Sparky says,"As has been suggested it'll be interesting how seriously GB takes the competition." I tell you what if Brabin doesn't take it extremely seriously he's a asking for even more negative reaction from the already disgruntled fans. He must forget that this is a round of some Mickey Mouse cup, which in reality, given our current abysmal form, we've no chance of winning, but recognise that this is THE Derby match both sets of fans having been waiting for for 14 years. It doesn't matter one jot what competition it is in, League, Cup, or Mickey Mouse Trophy, to even suggest that we don't want to beat our Welsh rivals would be absolutely unacceptable and would indicate a total disconnect with the Rovers supporters.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it could be a bit of turning point this game. A win would gain some much needed confidence and would set us up nicely going back to the league were our form simply has to improve.

Don't want to consider a loss.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I cat see us winning this think we will lose 2 1 desperately hope im wrong though

Player
Manager
John King
Like Ian, I think this is a massively important game as a win against our old foes would really lift the mood at the club. I think Brabin will play what he considers to be his strongest team.

I would personally drop Hill for Ridehalgh and Jennings for Harris (if possible), start with Dawson and leave Mangan up front with Norwood in a 4-4-2. Andy was excellent in the league game at The Racecourse and might have that bit of extra incentive against his old club.

Contrary to the attitude of most of our supporters, I have always liked this competition because of its importance to non-league sides. I am looking forward to the game and never understand the mentality of supporters who boycott matches like this, whatever their opinion of the current manager. I think Boz is miles out with his crowd estimate: Wrexham had sold 350 advance tickets on Tuesday and expect to bring about 1,000. I would guess the crowd will be similar to that for the Lincoln cup tie.

We want to win this one Gary.

Player
Manager
John King
From Brabin's pre-match interview it sounds like Kirby will start. It also seems we will be signing a target-man in January to give us more presence up front.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree this is a match we want to win - for all the reasons above. However, with such a strong squad, GB should be considering fielding the likes of Kirby, Ridehalgh and Ihiekwe to keep them fit, motivate them, provide a bit of competition for places and to try a few things out.

With a couple of more younger, faster players brought in, we should be able to take the game to them. In the end, I expect it will be down to which team takes their chances, especially early on. If the scores are level in the second half, we may play cautiously to avoid the risk of losing again. I've a feeling Wrexham will be up for it more than we are, given their recent record, so would be happy to force a replay. So, if I were a betting man, I'd go for a draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think they'll come and really give us a good workout. With being the home side all the pressure will be on us. Not got a good feeling about this one.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wrexham have won 5 out of their last 6 so are in good form and will be confident. We on the other hand are the total opposite. An away win on paper but in the cup anything can happen! As RLC suggested I think, it could be a game that with a win and a decent atmosphere as a consequence, could mark a turning point in our season. Surely the Wrexham boss will be saying if they get an early goal then the game is as good as won.

A target man in January makes sense and I've said this before. We have 4 out and out strikers on the books (not including Tomlinson). Mangan/Norwood & Stockton/Margetts. GB clearly doesn't think the last 2 can cut it. Norwood whilst our top scorer is far from perfect missing a number of good chances. Mangan is more of a poacher than Norwood but has fitness issues and isn't playing well. So its been obvious for a while we need another front man.

Blissett despite his equaliser at Grimsby didn't impress overall but we clearly need a physical presence up top.

Last edited:

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
If a physical presence is on the way - happy days! - as long as they are up for it, which is most important, and then please don't start lumping it:(

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Oh, no! Looks like the same old problem. We miss a load of chances, then they take theirs. Where's the next win coming from?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Dear oh dear. First game I've missed at PP this season and it rained goals.

I'm assuming the atmosphere was pretty bad once it became 4-1. And I'm guessing some of GBs signings once again failed miserably.

On a plus side, Margetts grabbed another couple of goals at Stockport today!!

Player
Manager
John King
In my 30 plus years as a Tranmere supporter we have had our share of disappointments and failures, a number in the last few seasons, but today was the lowest I have ever felt watching Rovers at Prenton Park. Another shambolic, disjointed performance and an utter humiliation at the hands of our historic rivals who did not have to be any more than adequate to thrash us. Taunted with chants of 'Are you Chester in disguise ?', 'There is only one Gary Brabin' and most pertinently and accurately 'You are shit', a sentiment it is difficult to argue with given the dross we were witnessing.

If Brabin does not go tonight any remaining faith I had in Palios, let alone the manager, will evaporate. I am utterly sick of the inept management of the football operation at this club from top to bottom. I would rather watch AFC Tranmere playing at Lairds with owners who are in some way responsive to the demands of the supporters than pay to watch the piffle that is being served up week after week at the moment.

As for the game itself, in the first half we were the better side but paid for our usual failing of missing chances and gifting the opposition goals through horrendous defending. The second half was an utter mess, a shambles and much of this was Brabin's responsibility. At 2-1 down when we were still in the game Wrexham were getting control yet no changes were made. When the third and fourth goals went in, Dawson and Mangan were thrown on with the game over, but both out of position (a GB speciality). Mangan was on the left wing and Dawson on the right ?! Go figure. This compounded the bizarre decision to start the game with Mekki up front behind Norwood and Tomlinson out of position on the left wing.

At 4-1 there was a mass exodus the like of which I have never seen at a Rovers game with half an hour to go. A substantial number of fans chanted 'Brabin out' which I was delighted to join in with. My sister came to the match today and said she had never known such a subdued atmosphere at PP, even before the shambolic performance unfolded.

A memo to Mark Palios: you need to remove the clown who is ripping the heart out of this club. It is time for you to take responsibility.

BRABIN OUT.