• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Euro 2024

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A bit late but I could t resist starting this thread. Tonight the first 75 minutes was worse than watching Rovers. But once the subs appeared and Saka scored, the mood changed. We controlled extra time until the last five minutes. But the key was to bring on Toney and Trent for the penalties. We are gradually growing in confidence. Even I’m beginning to dream.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
And saka says we dominated the game shocking again. We are ljust lucky that its a poor side of the draw we are on the last 3 games have been very poor and yet they progress

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I thought we played ok without hitting the heights. Besides Spain I think the football by and large hasn't been that exciting in the tournament.

The main thing is we are in the semis with every chance of getting to the final and winning it.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The important thing is we are in the semis regardless.

However, my main concern is Kane.
He just doesn't look fit.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a better performance and Southgate got the tactics right with the change of formation.

The previous games were difficult to watch, but Southgate's record in tournament football is remarkable. Winning is ultimately what matters.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thought Saka was very good and great to see him convert the penalty after all the underserved abuse from the last tournament. Mainoo did fairly well and most of the subs were sound though unsure about Eze.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We’ve played awful in all matches, shocking to watch really and we’ve played low ranked teams that we should easily be beating. We finally play a decent team in the Netherlands and I think that is where our tournament ends.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We’ve played awful in all matches, shocking to watch really and we’ve played low ranked teams that we should easily be beating. We finally play a decent team in the Netherlands and I think that is where our tournament ends.
They maybe lower ranked teams but that doesn't mean anything, Belgium are out yet ranked very high. The likes of Switzerland, Slovakia etc are no mugs regardless of what the rankings say

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we are actually slight favourites in the semi-final.

Southgate seems to have modelled his approach on France under Deschamps, who have had a very similar tournament. Stay solid defensively and then let the quality of the outstanding individuals decide the game in key moments.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
And saka says we dominated the game shocking again. We are ljust lucky that its a poor side of the draw we are on the last 3 games have been very poor and yet they progress
We did dominate the game in terms of possession, but failed to make it count until Saka scored. There are no poor sides in the last eight. They are all there on merit having fought through the groups and then the first knockout round. Yes, the experienced, more glamorous sides are in the other half of the draw, but as we have seen, teams like Slovakia and Switzerland have nothing to lose and play with no fear. They don't give much away, so you have to be patient.

I think England have been grim to watch and it’s only the sheer amount of talent in the squad that has again bailed Southgate out. He’s naturally over-cautious and is certainly no great tactician.

He does deserve credit for taking England beyond their usual QF exits but, by the same token, opportunities have been missed. In the last final we had Italy on the ropes but took our foot off the gas; in the WC semi Croatia, despite Modric, were eminently beatable. A top class coach would get a lot more out of this squad, and get them doing so at more than walking pace.

I expect Southgate to leave at the end of the tournament, even if we win it, but I also expect the FA will go for more of the same. Last time I looked the favourites were Potter, Cooper (before he took the Leicester job) and Carsley..

drwhoman

Managing an international side is not easy. Southgate is well liked by the squad which helps togetherness. As one writer said, he is good at the management side of managing the team! Getting the intra game tactics right seems to be harder although in the last game the team structure seemed better. That said, as in the past, his use of subs seems reactive rather than proactive. He has his favourites. Kane is not fit and you wonder whether 60 minutes is enough for him. He also seems slightly suspicious of others such as Trent. It is easy to question his defensive side but against low block teams this is not so much an issue. He should have been on at lot earlier against the Swiss rather as simply a penalty taker. In that regard, Southgate has learned. All the penalty takers are well drilled, using Psychologist help etc. Anyway, see how they go. The Dutch are good but not unbeatable as Austria showed.

drwhoman

I rather liked Pickford and the first crucial pen. Come to the goal from a long way, keep the taker waiting, wander forward for a chat with the ref. More delay. Psychological pressure on the taker and he cracked!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Managing an international side is not easy. Southgate is well liked by the squad which helps togetherness. As one writer said, he is good at the management side of managing the team! Getting the intra game tactics right seems to be harder although in the last game the team structure seemed better. That said, as in the past, his use of subs seems reactive rather than proactive. He has his favourites. Kane is not fit and you wonder whether 60 minutes is enough for him. He also seems slightly suspicious of others such as Trent. It is easy to question his defensive side but against low block teams this is not so much an issue. He should have been on at lot earlier against the Swiss rather as simply a penalty taker. In that regard, Southgate has learned. All the penalty takers are well drilled, using Psychologist help etc. Anyway, see how they go. The Dutch are good but not unbeatable as Austria showed.
Spot on, drw. One reason why I think Southgate has been successful was because he was promoted within the system. As Under-21 manager he worked with the players coming through. Germany always groomed successors from within. Continuity is important and the turnover of England managers never helped this.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes yes yes first half magnificent best I've seen England play in years. Now follow it up on sunday against the best team bh far

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
An interesting stat for when Gareth finally packs it in. All our successes in major tournaments have been under an English manager. We have reached the semifinal of the World Cup or Euros under Ramsey (1966, 1968), Robson (1990), Venables (1996) and Southgate (2018, 2020, 2024). In nine years under Sven and Capello, we never got beyond the quarter finals. All four Englishmen were good tacticians and man managers who generated good team spirit. The two foreign managers had some of the best talent England has produced but "the golden generation" never reached its potential.

The big difference for me is that, in recent years, this country has been producing a generation of elite players who, as a group, are on a completely different level to any ‘golden generations’ of the past. The breakthrough in 2018, which few saw coming, was notable not only for reaching the WC semi but also for the mentality these players had. That mentality has been present ever since and, while the England coaching team have obviously fostered it well, it’s something that the clubs or the system has been producing over time. You can’t succeed playing for the likes of Ancelotti, Guardiola, Klopp, Emery etc etc without it.

Past golden generations briefly shone (1990, 1996 and 2004) but could never sustain it, never mind build on it. But something felt different in 2018, and the lads who’ve come through since have confirmed it. We now have young players who are technically proficient, mentally strong, have great game intelligence and, crucially, expect to win. Expect to win the biggest honours in the game. In the semi against Holland, for example, I think we had four Champions League winners, a Conference League winning captain, a past La Liga winner, the record breaking top scorer in the Bundesliga (yes I know he’s never won anything but that’s no reflection of his ability or mentality), etc. And the lads who haven’t yet won anything, like Saka or Guehi, look destined to do so. Why not? And why not tonight?!

Man for man, our players are at least on a par with anybody. The fact that the bookies have Spain as clear favourites is surely just a reflection of the two teams’ performances in the competition - Spain have won by playing an eye-catching attacking game whereas we’ve won by being ultra cautious and, at times, riding our luck. But we should be able to match them at their own game too, or however else they want to play it.

I just hope that, unlike 2018 and 2021, we finally seize the moment. The omens are good - we’ve been patchy, lucky, and Spain carry the burden of favourites! For all his other qualities - and he has many - Southgate’s tactical acumen at the highest level remains questionable at best and, even if we win tonight, that won’t change. But if we do win tonight, and even if we absolutely fluke it, then all that becomes moot.

Here’s hoping…