• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

England's chances

How far will England get?

• Winner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Semi-final

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Quarter-final

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Won't get out the group!

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
So the inevitable question. What are Englands chances at the World Cup? and what did you think about Southgate's selection to represent England? Is Southgate the right man to lead us to victory?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think it's a wide open tournament with several good sides but no standout team.
I dont think England are quite good enough to win it as we are too weak defensively.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
It really is a total irrelevance, the competition should never have been given to Qatar in the first place. Its an absolute disgrace that FIFA were prepared to overlook the human rights issues which abound in this country, and yet they also failed to properly take account of the climate issues which will clearly affect team performances and resultant rankings. They were also prepared to see many national league programmes disrupted for weeks on end and all this for a nation that has little, or no, real interest in football. But then we all know the real reason its being held in Qatar.... money talks!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Money does indeed talk. Will you not be watching @frenchrover ?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree that the tournament should not be happening. However, as hypocritical as it probably is, I will watch the England games.

This is where crooks like Blatter leave us: forced to either abandon the game we love (or its most prestigious competition at least) or serve as apologists for a murderous regime.

As for the competition itself, I agree with Mart that England's chances are probably hindered by defensive frailties. Maguire has been a key figure in the previous two tournaments, but barely plays at United and is hopelessly out of form. We will probably get to the quarter finals.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Well Ian, as RLC says, it may be hypocritical but there may be a match here and there during the course of the "Competition" that looks like it might be attractive which may prove hard to miss. Well its going to be that or having to stomach Twat Hancock on "He Thinks He's A Celebrity Get Him To The Hell Out Of Here":lol: :laugh:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with frenchrover and RLC's points regarding this, although it seems it was the corrupt Platini who was instrumental in ensuring Qatar hosted the tournament.

Currently I'm not getting fired up by the World Cup at all; wrong time and place, though like others I'll probably watch a few games. England have a tough group in terms of opponent form and seem to be lacking both defensively and up front, where thought Southgate should have taken an extra striker.

From a Rovers perspective, might we gain a few extra fans at games, from supporters of local Prem teams missing their live football fix? Doubtful though would be good if we did. The Northampton away game potentially clashes with an England game should they get out of the group and may be brought forward in the day or possibly moved

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
From a Rovers perspective, might we gain a few extra fans at games, from supporters of local Prem teams missing their live football fix?
I think so Boz. I've had quite a few red and blue noses asking me about getting tickets for the home games.

Reactions: Boz

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Is anybody aware of any Tranmere links to any of the player appearing in Qatar? I don't think we have any ex-players and Hungary's failure to qualify means no Peter Gulacsi.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I
It really is a total irrelevance, the competition should never have been given to Qatar in the first place. Its an absolute disgrace that FIFA were prepared to overlook the human rights issues which abound in this country, and yet they also failed to properly take account of the climate issues which will clearly affect team performances and resultant rankings. They were also prepared to see many national league programmes disrupted for weeks on end and all this for a nation that has little, or no, real interest in football. But then we all know the real reason its being held in Qatar.... money talks!
It’s the biggest scandal in sporting history. It was obvious to any sane person that Russia and Qatar were in cahoots with the powers that be and a lot of money must have changed hands. It’s akin to Benidorm being awarded the Winter Olympics in July or Antarctica getting the T20 World Cup.
England, who could hold the FIFA World Cup at the drop of a hat, never gets more than a handful of votes. No wonder the FA haven’t bothered to bid for the next World Cup.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I am just glad I will be working flat out Rather than watching boring England I hate international football

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
ohhh my Xmas parties start tomorrow we have sh@t loads booked our xmas night out is at the end of jan we are so busy

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Saka makes it 2 0 with another good finish though iran are poor and weakest in the group