• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ebbsfleet v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC says and on reflection, a point wasn't a bad result given the timing of the sending off. A few points though:

- McEveley should have known better. An experienced pro on a yellow card shouldn't be pulling peoples shirts.
- Given McEveley had been injured recently, not having a defender on the bench was wrong. Big Jay had a shaky first half and on a yellow, Micky may have taken him off at half time but had no replacement. We also had no central midfield option and with Harris on a yellow, someone like Duggan could have come on but thankfully we didn't need him.
- That's 2 goals in 6 away games - whilst clearly the lads defended well and many of them put a real shift in, once again MM has not been able to sort out the obvious problem of not creating enough chances.
- I give up on the Cook situation. He always seems to be the one who drops out. No-one has been playing well of late but why the likes of Hughes & CJ have kept their place is beyond me. A large part of Cook not playing well, as everyone knows, is that he has no service whatsoever. CJ did well though at wing back to be fair.

A stay of execution for Micky? Perhaps not but should we lose at home to Wrexham next week, in front of a decent crowd, the ultimate irony will be that Wrexham at home could be his first and last game of his tenure at the club.

As frustrating as ever is that the gap from the promotion places is still not massive - perhaps a reason Micky may keep his job for a while yet.

J

JKS

As RLC says and on reflection, a point wasn't a bad result given the timing of the sending off. A few points though:

- McEveley should have known better. An experienced pro on a yellow card shouldn't be pulling peoples shirts.
- Given McEveley had been injured recently, not having a defender on the bench was wrong. Big Jay had a shaky first half and on a yellow, Micky may have taken him off at half time but had no replacement. We also had no central midfield option and with Harris on a yellow, someone like Duggan could have come on but thankfully we didn't need him.
- That's 2 goals in 6 away games - whilst clearly the lads defended well and many of them put a real shift in, once again MM has not been able to sort out the obvious problem of not creating enough chances.
- I give up on the Cook situation. He always seems to be the one who drops out. No-one has been playing well of late but why the likes of Hughes & CJ have kept their place is beyond me. A large part of Cook not playing well, as everyone knows, is that he has no service whatsoever. CJ did well though at wing back to be fair.

A stay of execution for Micky? Perhaps not but should we lose at home to Wrexham next week, in front of a decent crowd, the ultimate irony will be that Wrexham at home could be his first and last game of his tenure at the club.

As frustrating as ever is that the gap from the promotion places is still not massive - perhaps a reason Micky may keep his job for a while yet.

Jay McEverley shouldn't be anywhere near the squad for me, let alone the first team. He's extremely slow & seems to have a go at players around him without looking at himself. To be slower than Steve McNulty is some achievement.

The issue for me is the tactics. The players clearly aren't happy playing this way, it doesn't suit our squad. It seems to me we are playing the system to accommodate Hughes and Norburn in the middle. We actually miss Maynards headless running in the middle this season. Playing 5 at the back is criminal at any level, smacks of negativity. We seem to be pinning all of our hopes on Ben Tollitt returning from injury, but where is he going to play in this system? He's a winger, does that mean yet another change of system when he does return?

I'm all for keeping MM, if he changes the system and shows a bit of balls going into games. Trolling out the same drivel about the tactics before and after games is becoming tiresome.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
It sounds like the 10 that finished the game can take credit for their effort.
Team selection raised eyebrows but to see three strikers (and perhaps you could call Dunn a fourth) on bench was strange to be kind.
I really want MM to turn this round but he's looking like a dead man walking.
GB got sacked through fan pressure and, eventually, an abysmal performance at Sutton.
I suspect that a winless game against Taffys next Saturday may see MP looking how deep his pockets are.
Fingers crossed we'll win. But I suspect that Cookie needs to start and score, in a win, to take heat off MM.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There's obviously a big problem with MM and Cook and I don't believe the players are playing for the manager no matter how much drivel they spout before and after games, how many pointless training videos they put out or how much positive spin they try and put on these terrible results.

MM seriously needs to change the system. It simply isn't working.

drwhoman

My worst fear is that we become another Wrexham or Chester. Marooned for ever in the fifth level! Come on Micky and Rovers get your finger out!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A game that leaves more questions than answers. In the second half, we battled hard with ten men to secure the point, with Harris, Buxton, McNulty and Norwood, who had a thankless task on his own up front, getting special mention. However, I doubt we would have scored a goal even with eleven on the pitch and the tactical problems and lack of conviction when we are in possession of the ball remain.

In the first half I thought we were slightly the better of the two sides. We created a couple of reasonable chances in open play, whereas Ebbsfleet had a lot of the ball but only really threatened from set plays. I thought Jennings looked more comfortable playing just off Norwood and there were a few decent moves where those two, Harris and Norburn linked up.

However, I still did not understand the tactical set up. We were playing a 532 with wing backs, but in reality the wing backs were so deep we were playing a back five; as a team, we were way too deep for long periods. It seemed to me they had been deliberately instructed not to get forward and just to keep the defensive shape. Perhaps Mellon was happy with a 'safety first' approach given the extent of our struggles, but I fail to see how we are going to score goals if we don't have any genuine width in our play. The few chances we did create were down the middle of the pitch, or through balls into the channels, and the service from out wide was non-existent. Added to which, even if the wing backs had put balls into the box, how were Norwood and Jennings going to compete in the air against six foot centre backs ? The tactics made no sense to me.

Early in the second half McEvely had his moment of madness and was deservedly sent off. Why he chose to haul someone down on the halfway line when he was already on a booking only he will know, but his stupidity made a difficult situation even worse. We did work hard with a man short to close down space and block. However, cynics will say it is easier to run around and show commitment when you are the underdog and the pressure is off, than it is to be brave and composed on the ball and create chances and score goals, something we have singularly failed to do all season. At the end of the game I had the feeling that the players had shown some spirit to get the result, but in reality we were no further forward at all than at three o'clock.

The substitution of Waring for Norwood made little sense to me. If we wanted someone to hold the ball up in the closing stages Cook was the obvious choice, and it seemed strange to give a youngster that responsibility at such a crucial stage of the game. It seems the feud between Mellon and Cook is ongoing, which can only damage us further.

The highlights of the day for me were visiting an old ground which I have a personal connection with and seeing my White Review match preview quoted in the programme. However, as entertainment the match was not worth travelling 240 yards for, let alone 240 miles If this standard of performance and form continues much longer I think we are at risk of dying from apathy. People simply won't keep turning up to watch limp, uninspiring football and the relationship between club and fans is going to really deteriorate, if it has not already.

As for MM, I still seriously doubt he can turn this round. As several people have said, it is incredibly frustrating to see us treading water given the low standard of the league and how close we are to the promotion places, despite being dreadful. A penny for Palios's thoughts tonight.

Last edited:
M

Mal

What we need is Wallace and Tollit, and lots of cheese.

To be less flippant, Ronnie's high flying team fell apart after a couple of key players were injured. Same basic team but without those who could conjure up a moment of class. I feel this season will be in reverse of that season , once the three injured players are back. After all, still only 7 points adrift and for playoffs even less.

Player
Manager
John King
What we need is Wallace and Tollit, and lots of cheese.

To be less flippant, Ronnie's high flying team fell apart after a couple of key players were injured. Same basic team but without those who could conjure up a moment of class. I feel this season will be in reverse of that season , once the three injured players are back. After all, still only 7 points adrift and for playoffs even less.
No chance, not without tactical changes. For a start, Wallace probably won't be fit all season and a youngster like Tollitt can't walk into a team as poor as this one and turn it round on his own. It would be unreasonable to expect him to.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks for the report RLC. Nice to see a bit of exposure in the programme.

I agree MM is going to have a tough job turning this around as we are treading water every week but he's his own worst enemy if he thinks dropping Cook and playing this awful 532 is going to help.

Does this man only have one plan?

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Have to agree that to expect Tollitt to step back into the side and turn our season round is just putting too much pressure on the lad, he can certainly add a fresh dimension to the team but its grossly unfair to expect him to be sole catalyst in rejuvenating this disjointed side. Kirby is still weeks away from a return, I believe, and as RLC says Wallace is unlikely to figure at all this season.
I also notice that the youtube video of the manager's post-match comments has been shortened to exclude his abrupt and somewhat angry response of "NO COMMENT" when asked by Wirral Radio's Adam Siddorn what he thought of the fans asking for a 4-4-2 formation, without doubt the pressure is really starting to tell and one wonders how much longer this can continue.

Player
Manager
John King
Jennings when deployed as a right-wing back

I think this demonstrates the limitations of Wirral Radio. We played a back four after the sending off as far as I could see, with Buxton at right back.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think this demonstrates the limitations of Wirral Radio. We played a back four after the sending off as far as I could see, with Buxton at right back.
The impression given was that he was used as wing-back, presume Sparky also was listening to Wirral Radio as he alludes to this in an earlier post. Maybe CJ was deployed more defensively, but in a 441 as you suggest. He also appeared to be better than Hughes at taking corners.

I thought Mellon's refusal to address the 442 question was churlish. The reality may concern McNulty's risk of exposure when there are only 2 central defenders and given Big Steve has been playing well recently, it's understandable MM wants to keep him in the side. Micky didn't need to say that explicitly, but it was a fair question to ask.

It sounded like most players tried fairly hard in this game, unlike Maidenhead. However, better is required next weekend for Wrexham's visit or the manager's position is at real risk.

J

JKS

The only reason McNulty may look exposed in 4 at the back is because he failed to replace Ihekwe with another pacey defender, and instead opted for McEverley.

It is his own doing we are where we are this season, without a doubt. I'd still sooner see 4 at the back than 5, but that doesn't look likely anytime soon.

I'd love him to turn it around, I just can't see it.

M

Mal

Have to agree that to expect Tollitt to step back into the side and turn our season round is just putting too much pressure on the lad, he can certainly add a fresh dimension to the team but its grossly unfair to expect him to be sole catalyst in rejuvenating this disjointed side. Kirby is still weeks away from a return, I believe, and as RLC says Wallace is unlikely to figure at all this season.
I also notice that the youtube video of the manager's post-match comments has been shortened to exclude his abrupt and somewhat angry response of "NO COMMENT" when asked by Wirral Radio's Adam Siddorn what he thought of the fans asking for a 4-4-2 formation, without doubt the pressure is really starting to tell and one wonders how much longer this can continue.

I never said JUST Tollit on his todd.

I didnt realise Wallace is so far behind in recovery. And Kirby.

Player
Manager
John King
The impression given was that he was used as wing-back, presume Sparky also was listening to Wirral Radio as he alludes to this in an earlier post. Maybe CJ was deployed more defensively, but in a 441 as you suggest. He also appeared to be better than Hughes at taking corners.

I thought Mellon's refusal to address the 442 question was churlish. The reality may concern McNulty's risk of exposure when there are only 2 central defenders and given Big Steve has been playing well recently, it's understandable MM wants to keep him in the side. Micky didn't need to say that explicitly, but it was a fair question to ask.

It sounded like most players tried fairly hard in this game, unlike Maidenhead. However, better is required next weekend for Wrexham's visit or the manager's position is at real risk.
In general I do actually like Wirral Radio, as they are critical and objective rather than coming out with biased twaddle like Andy Doyle. I think their tactical knowledge is pretty good generally as well. Dave Higgins is a good summariser apparently, although I have not heard him yet.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, Dave sums the game up quite well and can see generally where the failings are during the game.

Regarding Wallace, I'd be very very surprised if we saw him at all this season.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
It sounded like most players tried fairly hard in this game, unlike Maidenhead.

I feel that's an unfair comment that Boz. There were many things wrong with the performance on Tue, mainly the tactics employed, but to suggest the players never tried is unfair. I went to the game and each player put a shift in; but it was the consistent long ball and the inability to get a shot away when chances presented themselves that let us down.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I feel that's an unfair comment that Boz. There were many things wrong with the performance on Tue, mainly the tactics employed, but to suggest the players never tried is unfair. I went to the game and each player put a shift in; but it was the consistent long ball and the inability to get a shot away when chances presented themselves that let us down.
Fair enough, I wasn't at either game, though didn't imply they'd never tried. Both during the commentary at Maidenhead and it the manager's post match remarks, there was a suggestion that players weren't trying at times, the radio remarks were along the lines of 'that's the kind of ball he'd normally try to get on the end of'. Equally, McEveley and perhaps Scott Davies' kicking aside, the Wirral Radio commentary yesterday was generally favourably disposed to the players

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I got the impression that the players during the Maidenhead game did try but no-one really took the bull by the horns and instead of having a go would shirk responsibility by passing to a team mate resulting in a pretty poor attacking force.