• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Dover v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A tough test up next, with a trip to the Crabble to take on high-scoring Dover, currently sitting just outside the play-off places. A win for the hosts, would see them go above Rovers. While they lost a couple of their best players over the summer, with Miller, Lafayette and Emmanuel available, there's no shortage of firepower and it's difficult to see a repeat of last season's 0-0 draw.

For Rovers, Norwood's absence will be a significant loss, expecting the Kirby-Cook combo up front again. Personally, would prefer to see Ihiekwe back in central defence for an injection of pace at the back, but not expecting that to happen.

After the Barrow game, Micky's first test against one of the promotion contenders. He will have a much greater awareness of the strengths and weakenesses in the squad now and this game will be a real marker to what lies ahead. We're certainly capable of taking something here,but anything could happen.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The clean sheet record in the league since MM took over will have by far its biggest test so far with the trip to free scoring Dover. Ricky Miller leads the way who I was surprised wasn't snapped up last season by a league club. A real poacher with great movement and finishing. Almost like a young Ryan Lowe! Emmanuel scored over 20 last season for Bromley and Lafayette was released by Ronnie not long after he joined Eastleigh but is decent at this level.

The sort of game we could have done with Jenno in the side sitting in front of the back four. Norwood will be missed too.

I expect the same line up/system as against Solihull. Whilst it didn't work on Tuesday this is a totally different game, away from home and against much better opposition. The type of game we would have won under GB last season and it makes sense to have a less attacking line up than that which finished the game on Tuesday. I'd like Tollit to start but it makes sense to keep the side that won at Solihull in some respects. I'm still far from convinced by Almond though.

There is an argument for bringing Ihikwe back to deal with their pacey attack but Sutton hasn't put a foot wrong so deserves to keep his place. Ironically it could be Big Mac who could be exposed on Saturday. Scott Davies could have a busy afternoon.

Prediction: MMs unbeaten record in the league with us to come to an end sadly with Dover too much for us. Hope I'm wrong.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Dover was one of the teams we failed to beat or even score against last season. With six of the top seven playing against each other, it wouldn't be disastrous if we lost, but it's certainly Micky's biggest test to date. He'll need to get his system and selection right, choosing it for this sort of game. We'll need to be tight at the back with pace up front (shame about Norwood). A win would be an incredible result and even a draw would keep the momentum going, but I think a single goal defeat is the most likely outcome.

M

Mal

I think it depends which Dover turns up. They have lost 6 so far so are not the perfect team.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm going for draw here. Will be a hard fought one, not much in it but well come away with a point. Confidence is increasing.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Whilst Ihikwe hasn't done anything wrong, it would be unfair to drop Sutton. His football skills generally, distribution are, in my view, better than MI.
It's a tough one but why rock the boat?
It's early doors and there's the proverbial rollercoaster ride for all teams to come but are we already at the stage where we can't afford to get beat?
As things stand, we have to beat FGR home and away AND (goal difference) better their record against the others for the rest of season.
We've won three league on the bounce with new manager and my glass is half empty, not half full. Can't help it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The reason I'd opt for Ihiekwe over Sutton is the reason why he was deployed in that position initially, namely an ability to compensate for McNulty's lack of pace. However as my initial post, think we will line up with the McNulty-Sutton combo.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Like Sparky, I expect we will line up in a similar formation to the Solihull game with a system that is solid but reasonably creative. On that basis, I can't see Tollitt starting, as I don't know how he would fit into a team that did not include wingers. I agree with Boz that Kirby will be selected, but I would personally like to see Stephenson given a start. Despite his performance at Solihull, I don't think Jake will have enough to trouble a team like Dover and we need to prevent Cook from becoming too isolated. At the back, I would choose Sutton ahead of Ihiekwe, purely because I think he is a better defender: in the last two matches McNulty and Sutton have not given the opposition a sniff, and Solihull did not lack pace up front.

Whatever team is selected, this is an incredibly tough match as Dover were a real bogey side for us last season. We really struggled to cope with their physical, direct approach and the pace and energy they have in the team and were well beaten at Prenton Park, and slightly fortunate to get a point in the return fixture. Added to which, Ricky Miller is on fire this season and is arguably the best all-round player in the division at the moment. It will be interesting to see whether Micky copes better with Dover's unique approach than Brabin did.

I think it is too early to talk about must-win games, but I would happily take a point from this one. I expect about 300 Rovers fans to make the long trek to The Crabble.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can see the attraction of having the more pacey, physically stronger Stephenson up front as RLC suggests. However there is then an option of replacing Almond with Kirby in 'the hole'. Jake will do more tracking back and on current form is more likely to score. I haven't seen Louis play when deployed there though, so he might be better suited for other reasons.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If we are to challenge for the league then this is the type of game we need to win, fancy us to win this 2 1

Player
Manager
John King
Tollitt and Stephenson both start, Kirby not included (presumably injured) and almond on the bench. A positive line up and Micky is clearly going for the victory.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Interesting.
If we can get the ball to either of those two on the break we can worry them.
Just hope they do their share of tracking back.
Big result for Barrow earlier.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded like Rovers were under the cosh in the early stages, but then took a grip. Brave team selection from MM that paid off. Look forward to hearing more

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Incredible result. Can't wait for the reports. Micky keeps his 100% record in the league as the leading group start to open up a gap on the rest. Now only four points from top. It's a shame we won't play again for two weeks, but at least we should have more players fit.

Micky seems to have been rewarded by his apparent strategy of playing every game to win. With only one automatic promotion place, that makes sense. But it also breeds confidence amongst the players. In fairness to GB, I think he had a similar strategy (except when on the occasional bad run), but didn't have the tactical nous to make the required changes when things didn't go to plan.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
What a superb performance from rovers. Everybody contributed, but cook and tollitt were awesome. Did not know miller was playing ! Liam ridehalgh did a great man to man job on him and Mellon got his tactics spot on again.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fantastic result. We would have been struggling to come away with a point here pre MM. Amazing what a decent manager can do! Really pleased for Tollitt who seems to be getting better with every game and Cook is banging them in. Delighted.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Great going into a two week break on the back of such a win.
And we conceded the first goal.
Played four, won four, ten for and one against.
Whilst we hoped MM would turn things round this is surely beyond expectations.
Chester aside, some very tricky away midweek matches to come but the confidence in the players must be sky high now.