• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Danny Harrison

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see we've signed Danny Harrison. I'm somewhat underwhelmed at Ronnie signing an ex-player he released last time he was manager and who is now past his peak (unlike Danny Holmes). On the OS, Ronnie is talking in terms of him being a replacement for John Welsh, but I would expect he'll be mainly used as cover. To be positive, at least Ronnie knows Danny well and will know how best to use him.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm somewhat underwhelmed at Ronnie signing an ex-player he released last time he was manager and who is now past his peak (unlike Danny Holmes).

Disagree with this - at 29, he'll be a better player now than when he left. Not the most exciting signing in the world but it's only a 1 year deal and he's not a bad addition to the squad really. Expect him to be one of three realistically competing for two central midfield spots. More signings will be imminent.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah given that we lost Joss, Welsh, Weir, Wallace - we're well short of centre mids so he will hopefully add some competition for places.

Plus as Sonko says, its only a 1 year deal and he should be better than he was last time out. A low risk signing imo.

Lets give him a chance but I'm hopeful we'll have more centre mids coming to the club.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I share BBTC's views on this.

Danny was an average player in his previous Rovers incarnation. Ronnie didn't think that he merited a new deal a few years back and he's played at L2 Rotherham since then. The Millers have subsequently come into some money, new stadium, ambitious boss and surprise, surprise Danny doesn't figure in their plans.

RM mentions him as a possible Welsh replacement. He has the capacity to go missing when things get tough like our former captain, but rarely gets on the score-sheet and isn't as good at breaking up the play. I'd have rather we kept Weir for his versatility or Labadie for his scoring/set-pieces than opting for Harrison's return.

RM also says on the o/s there are offers pending for other midfielders. Hopefully these do sign and are of greater quality than Danny. Behind Max Power as a squad player would be ok. Regular starter and I'd be worried.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Part of the deal I suspect will be down to financial reasons. I would have thought Harrison will be on less money than Joss and Weir would have been on but although they are different types of players, like you Boz I would have preferred either of then two.

Yeah let's hope he is a squad player, not 1st choice, with ronnie bringing in better players.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think he'll make a decent replacement for Welsh. Not sure that says much for Welsh, but I agree with SonkORLY. Not a bad addition. They are similar in the sense that they won't set a team alight but will do a decent job in there.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
We need at least 11 though...

Even if quality over quantity is the general ethos we are still working within the same budget and still need a squad of players, so the majority of signings we make will be middle of the road. But hopefully by trimming the squad by two or three players from last season we will be able to sign someone like Andy Robbo as opposed to Martin Devaney, etc.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we should bear in mind that RM has worked with Harrison at Rotherham and he is not necessarily the same player we released in 2007. It is quite possible he has improved considerably since he was last here, as had Holmes and Raven, and Ronnie obviously believes he is at least on a par with the midfielders we let go.

Even based on Danny's performances here in his first spell I don't think Welsh is significantly better than Harrison, and I think this could prove to be a decent signing.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I think we should bear in mind that RM has worked with Harrison at Rotherham and he is not necessarily the same player we released in 2007. It is quite possible he has improved considerably since he was last here, as had Holmes and Raven, and Ronnie obviously believes he is at least on a par with the midfielders we let go.

Even based on Danny's performances here in his first spell I don't think Welsh is significantly better than Harrison, and I think this could prove to be a decent signing.

Yeah danny was on evry ones mind as soon as welshy got snappeped up !!!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
To continue your strained supermarket analogy; people who shop in Aldi generally do so because they can't afford the luxury of buying their food from more expensive places.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
And your point?

What's your point?

There are some good bargains to had in Aldi amongst the dross. Sadly I suspect that Danny won't prove to be one of the former.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
To continue your strained supermarket analogy; people who shop in Aldi generally do so because they can't afford the luxury of buying their food from more expensive places.

there not more expensive..

Aldi is just cheap...i would shop there ,but i,d be worried some one spotted me !

na.. i just said that for effect...

:cool:

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Aldi do sell nice continental biscuits. Maybe Ronnie Moore will find us an obscure creative midfielder from central europe.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Is Theo Whitmore still playing? Harrison isn't that bad. I'm not sure what people are really expecting Ronnie to come up with on a very limited budget with very little pulling power.

Maybe he's waiting for the Euros to finish before he starts getting serious about putting in offers. I heard that Ronaldo blokes alright.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yeah danny was on evry ones mind as soon as welshy got snappeped up !!!

Well clearly Ronnie Moore's anyway.](*,) Who exactly did you have in mind given our resources ?

We have replaced a slightly above average player in a defensive area with a slightly below average one. I don't see why this should be massively detrimental. It is not as if we have lost Robinson and brought in Sam Aiston. As has been pointed out above, some of our summer signings will have a touch of quality, others will be ballast.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Can we or do we need ballast ,and any way sign quality first and then ballast afterwards..

Rather than signing loads of ballast and then no money left in the pot ...but i do think RM will twist PJ,s arm for more resources if needed...so no worries !
Sam has retired so...

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Aldi do sell nice continental biscuits. Maybe Ronnie Moore will find us an obscure creative midfielder from central europe.

Your probally right about the biscuits..there bound to sell something nice if you look and experiment i suppose.

i did go in there once... it seemed to sell mostly electric drills and ...

tesco is good .

altho those £10 meals have made me and the strife alcholics...still,... on the wagon since last monday..!!!!
:-({|=