• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Crewe 0 Rovers 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A good game of football and a decent point for Rovers. I am slightly disappointed that we did not win the game today given the amount of pressure we had in the second half, but it is good to see the players come through another test away from home and remain in second place.

We had an up and down first half, starting and closing the first period brightly but having a poor twenty minutes in the middle where we gave the ball away too cheaply. Crewe probably edged the first period, but after half time I thought we were completely in control, without creating as many chances as we probably should have done. Our best opportunity fell to Akpro after a great through ball from Robinson, but unfortunately he shot straight at the keeper and should have done better.

In the second 45 Wallace and Robinson were outstanding with the variety of their passing, and for long spells Crewe were really hanging on. However, I think we were guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net at times and risked getting caught on the counter for an undeserved defeat, which nearly happened on occasions.

The real positive to come from the game was the perfomance of the midfield in the second period. Crewe are probably a decent, mid table side but when Wallace and Robbo got going they found it very hard to keep them in check. As has been said many times, if those two play the majority of the season we will surely finish around the play off places.

Elsewhere, both centre backs were very good, with Ash in particular outstanding. It is noticeable now how much more composed he is in possession, perhaps as a result of the general passing ethos in the team.

Final word goes to the ref, who I thought was terrible, with virtually every 50-50 given Crewe's way in the first half.

Postscipt: should also mention that this game is the featured match on The Football League Show tonight, as Manish and co. were in attendance today.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good point and an improvement on what we usually come away with. Still unbeaten, we're doing very well.

DIW

Player
Goodison
A good game of football and a decent point for Rovers. I am slightly disappointed that we did not win the game today given the amount of pressure we had in the second half, but it is good to see the players come through another test away from home and remain in second place.

We had an up and down first half, starting and closing the first period brightly but having a poor twenty minutes in the middle where we gave the ball away too cheaply. Crewe probably edged the first period, but after half time I thought we were completely in control, without creating as many chances as we probably should have done. Our best opportunity fell to Akpro after a great through ball from Robinson, but unfortunately he shot straight at the keeper and should have done better.

In the second 45 Wallace and Robinson were outstanding with the variety of their passing, and for long spells Crewe were really hanging on. However, I think we were guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net at times and risked getting caught on the counter for an undeserved defeat, which nearly happened on occasions.

The real positive to come from the game was the perfomance of the midfield in the second period. Crewe are probably a decent, mid table side but when Wallace and Robbo got going they found it very hard to keep them in check. As has been said many times, if those two play the majority of the season we will surely finish around the play off places.

Elsewhere, both centre backs were very good, with Ash in particular outstanding. It is noticeable now how much more composed he is in possession, perhaps as a result of the general passing ethos in the team.

Final word goes to the ref, who I thought was terrible, with virtually every 50-50 given Crewe's way in the first half.

Postscipt: should also mention that this game is the featured match on The Football League Show tonight, as Manish and co. were in attendance today.

I would agree with most of that. Bit of a shame that our appearance on the football league show will be for a nil nil though. WE were probably the better side by a shade, and Ash did very well again. Bell-Baggie very quiet against their bigger lads, I'm not sure he has the physique to do well in this league. A couple of their lads were going down too easily and you are right about the ref. At drop balls why did we always have to give them possession. Total homer ref.

Still unbeaten though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nice ground, friendly staff. It was a decent point against a surprisingly negative Crewe. Their players went to ground too easily, yet they showed in flashes that there is no little skill there. If they'd gone for the jugular we might have been in trouble. I never felt as comfortable as RLC, as Rovers kept surrendering possession too close to our goal. Crewe could have stolen it near the end, but couldn't get the final touch to a great ball across the Rovers box.

Would agree that both central defenders were sound at the back, let's hope there is a prospect of extending Gibson's loan as mooted. Zoum made a couple of intelligent runs too. Midfield, Robinson played well, seemed to be tiring a bit, then got a second wind to finish strongly. Wallace hasn't reached the heights of last season, did ok but made a few wrong choices. Palmer had a decent game, surprisingly hard to shake off the ball, a couple of times somehow clinging on when he looked certain to lose it. Up front the forwards worked hard, but little came their way.

Agree about the ref, though he gave us a couple of dodgy free-kicks when the SWA got on his back as a homer. A decent away following, if not as sizeable as some had forecast ~1.3k

MoM. It was one of those games where there were a lot of good performances, but no great ones. Palmer would be my choice.

Player
Manager
John King
Nice ground, friendly staff. It was a decent point against a surprisingly negative Crewe. Their players went to ground too easily, yet they showed in flashes that there is no little skill there. If they'd gone for the jugular we might have been in trouble.

Agree that in the first half in particular, their passing and movement was impressive. However, I thought they faded not so much because they were negative but because our midfield play improved.

Both promoted sides we have played have looked pretty good, but I was more impressed by Shrewsbury to be honest.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Both promoted sides we have played have looked pretty good, but I was more impressed by Shrewsbury to be honest.

I'd agree that Shrewsbury seem to have more cutting edge, but not a great deal between them and both look capable of holding their own in L1.

Note that Port Vale had a 6-2 win over one of the L2 promotion favourites, Rotherham. Maybe our JPT exit performance wasn't quite so bad after all...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
right about the ref. At drop balls why did we always have to give them possession.
Apparently, the referee cannot compel a side not to contest a drop-ball. Must have been our choice to give it them back. There was at least one occasion where we were attacking and play stopped to treat a Crewe player. In that situation, shouldn't we have insisted on a proper drop-ball?

DIW

Player
Goodison
Apparently, the referee cannot compel a side not to contest a drop-ball. Must have been our choice to give it them back. There was at least one occasion where we were attacking and play stopped to treat a Crewe player. In that situation, shouldn't we have insisted on a proper drop-ball?

Yes we should - and they should have had the sportsmanship to play it that way.

Player
Manager
John King
Would agree that both central defenders were sound at the back, let's hope there is a prospect of extending Gibson's loan as mooted.

His loan has now been extended until January. I am not sure Goodison will actually get back in the side when he is fit.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
His loan has now been extended until January. I am not sure Goodison will actually get back in the side when he is fit.

I hope he doesnt, I love him as a player, but we have been too reliant on him for years now :shock:, maybe this injury has been the kick up the backside we have needed to get the future sorted, which means Ash + A.N.Other by the looks of things.=D>..I guess of we cant get Gibson back after January, we may have to play him there, half a season may be good for him, then when we go up :wink:, we can maybe buy Gibbo....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm quite happy with the result and our position, even if Crawley beat Portsmouth and push us down to third. Remember we've played three away and two at home, unlike Notts and Yeovil.

We weren't featured much on TV last night - only a couple of minutes of highlights, but Ronnie was interviewed and was his usual modest self. He doesn't seem to get too excited wherever we are in the league. I like that.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting comment from Ronnie today, suggesting that when Goodison is fit Gibson may actually be moved to left back, with Zoum ahead of him and Robbo on the right.

That line up would be pretty formidable defensively and would also sort out the right hand side, where neither Baggie or Thompson have looked totally convincing so far.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd have some reservations about this. Gibson and Ash have formed a fairly reliable central pairing. Gibson can play left-back, but does he do it as well as the central defensive role? Zoum has done much better defensively so far; less of the getting pulled out of position and reckless challenges. He's not a great crosser of the ball, so his contribution to the attack is more telling coming from deep.

Though I can see the attractions of Robinson playing right-midfield.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good idea and provides a different option down the left, which as RLC says, hasn't been filled convincingly yet.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Hope all this f/king about with calenders does not send us down another slippery slope

Any one remember last season when the players gru beards etc

did,nt win a game after that under Lp

Hope RM is wiser...

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Are you seriously suggesting this will effect the players or management or that growing beards did last season ?

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
yes 100%

and we went on a 20 game with out a win until the guy who suggested the players partake in the first place went..

bad thing this for tranmere imo

players get too relaxed