• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Crawley v Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a trip to Sussex next for Rovers, as we meet Crawley for the second time in five weeks.

It is important that we put in a decent display following back to back defeats irrespective of other considerations, but financially the FA Cup could be crucial to us this season, as it was in 2019 and 2020. Our promotion in 2018-19 would not have happened without the money generated by an FA Cup run and our positive January recruitment, and it was a similar tale the following season, with the Watford and United games funding the recruitment of Vaughan and co., to give us a good chance of survival prior to Rick Parry's intervention.

From Micky's pre match interview, it sounds like there will be changes in personnel but not fundamental tactical approach. I am happy with that, as I still believe the 451 system suits this group of players, and the majority of the forwards are not good enough to merit a starting place.

For those who are not travelling (the majority I would imagine!), there is a full commentary on Radio Merseyside with Derek Jones, which will be preferable to the Ifollow coverage. As it is a cup game I am not sure whether you can hack your TV to watch the match, not that I approve of that stuff anyway.

No idea on the starting eleven, but hoping for an improved display, probably watched by about 200 Rovers fans.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would bring in Murphy, Merrie, Watson, Walker and Nevitt for Doohan, Foley, Morris, Feeney and Mani.
I hope we will win and going for 2 1.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Crawley has been an unlucky hunting ground for Rovers; never won since our first visit, losing the rest. The hosts are in the doldrums at present, on a losing run, but as the games at Scunthorpe and Mansfield show, we're the ideal opponent for such strugglers. We need a Cup run every year for fundraising, but it can't happen all the time.

If we stick rigidly to 451, it means Maynard doesn't get a look in and with our current lack of goals, I don't think that's a good thing. Neither Nevitt nor Dieseruvwe look capable of scoring enough and if we do stick with 1 up, I'd rather it were in a 4411 formation with Duffy or Watson playing closer to the lone forward.

You can make a strong argument for resting a number of players, but it doesn't sound like Micky's going to do that. The changes I think are most needed are Murphy to replace a very out of sorts Doohan, Walker for Feeney to give us some pace and something different and Duffy/Watson for Mcmanaman to make the lone striker less isolated. I'd have dropped Foley last week as he was well below par v Northampton, but sounded like one of our better players at Mansfield, but Merrie ought to at least make the bench. I suppose Nevitt's work-rate and ball control is better than Mani's so should get the nod.

Prediction 3-1 Crawley.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mani offers nothing to the team so shouldn't play. I don't think he will after his performance on Saturday. I'm not altogether confident going into this one. I think with the lack of goals in the squad, there will probably be a lot of huffing and puffing but not many chances created. I think it'll be a draw. 1-1.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
This game fills me with dread, having lived only 5 miles from Crawley for more than 35 years (until I moved this year) it should have been a dream draw. However we have a horrendous record there (which still amazes me as I used to play against Crawley and still cant comprehend that they are at the same level as Tranmere).

Back to the point in hand. I cant see anything other than a line up that we (and Crawley) could all predict. I do hope that as it is a one off game and there isnt a 0-0 point at stake we at least have a go and play a positive formation.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Not confident about this one either - Cup run imperative for the overall finances but in our recent form not expecting we will get one. Team wise Murphy should hopefully replace Doohan. Thereafter like others no idea. Assuming Hawkes is still unfit will MM bring Walker in - who knows frankly? Would like to see 2 up top be that Maynard and Nevitt or Maynard and Glatzel but MM doesn't like changing formation from his 451 and suspect he won't but will simply revert to Nevitt instead of Mani.

Player
aldo
I would like to be Positive, but after the last two games where we have not created much and our backline has been overrun by younger players, with Hawkes, who has made a huge difference to the team out we lack pace, flair, and as my wife says Penetration, LOL, Nevitt now needs to start Scoring or con Jan someone will come in and he will be Benched,as for Mani and the rest of them in Jan send em packing and put the kids in they could do no worse,I can see a draw,then beating them at our place

Player
ian goodison
how many times over the last few seasons have we said we don,t have a bad squad of players only to watch them perform like a sunday pub team who have never met, would love to see him pick an attacking team but finances what they are it,s more important to come away with at least a draw, with that in mind expect to put caution 1st and hope for at least a replay

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I've always said I don't mind so much when we lose because even the best teams lose, as long as they've put the effort in but it's the lack of effort that annoys me. There is no excuse for that. People travelling down, paying money to watch them, it's not acceptable to be putting in half arsed performances.

I want to see a good team effort on Saturday, get the last two games out of the system and give it all!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If we lose tomorrow or in the second round then as much as it pains me the pizza trophy becomes more important financially

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It looks like I'll miss this one unfortunately.

It's a difficult one to call, as I have no idea what team will be picked, never mind how well they will perform. I hope - and believe - Micky will make a few changes to the personnel but probably not the formation, as he tries to restore the team to winning ways. The good news is there is considerable underused talent on the bench and outside the matchday squad. We have probably at least 18 players I would regard as "first teamers". Provided they have performed well in training and have shown the right attitude, I'd draft in any of Murphy, O'Connor, NKP, Merrie, Watson, Duffy, Walker, Glatzel and Maynard.

Although I'd like us to do well in the cup, the league is still more important, so if Micky wants to try out anything or anyone, this is his best chance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’d get Murphy back in. Best keeper we’ve got although I think he wants to start winding down a bit now.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Even when we struggle in the league, a cup run is always a way to keep fans happy. The anticipation of another big giantkilling or visiting a premiership stadium.
Some of my best memories are the cup runs.
There is a lot of chat about who is playing or should be playing.
To me if you want to win the players who are chosen, should be playing for rhe club and giving the best they can and not a poor attempt at being professional.

Being in the hat for the next round is the most importantthing for us. Nothing else!
Even if it takes a penalty shoot out.

My prediction........... win.

Player
aldo
I would think of giving Maynard a run, ok he does not do the work Nevitt does but he is more likely to score if the chances come his way than Nevitt you would think

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think he would have to change the system to accommodate Maynard AM but I agree he should be featuring more.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Bizarre team selection. Davis dropped. O'Connor in as is Watson with Morris and Foley dropped!! Nevitt replaces Mani.
No sign of Walker whatsoever.
Doohan keeps his place.

ADD

Player
Norwood
To be fair Boro may not want Walker cup tied given he is likely to be recalled.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can see why he would want to mix things up after the last two games. Players that have been picked need to step up and justify their selection. Still can't see goals in this side though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Really need mcmanaman and Feeney to step up as both have been disappointing of late. Pleased Watson is getting a chance but again you wonder where the goals will come from

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Baffling line-up, fairly negative on paper, no real pace apart from JDC in defence, are there replays in the Cup still as that's what this selection looks like aiming for? My original prediction may have been too optimistic, having us get a goal.