• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Colchester 0-1 Tranmere

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Got back an hour ago and just about thawed out. Well i'm absolutely made up with that win. Didn't expect that!

1st half we started ok and although we looked a bit shaky at the back we looked dangerous going forward... Shotton hit the bar for us and Edds missed a great chance after good work by Savage. Colchester did have a good spell of pressure mid way through the half and Mark Yeates was causing us problems. He shot narrowly wide but that was the closest they came.

2nd half we were the better team... We really worked hard and pressured them throughout. Only 5 minutes into the 2nd half we were ahead. Barnett's free kick on the right was glanced home by Shotton. Soon after it could have been 2-0 but Edds header was disallowed after some pushing by Savage. At the other end Yeates shot from the edge of the area brought a good diving save from Coyne. Our defence was starting to look solid though and was helped by our hardworking midfield. We defended from the front tonight with Savage and Moore chasing down balls. We should have been 2-0 up after good work from Savage on the left, he crossed it across the face of goal and Shuker shot seemed to cross the line before the keeper scrambled it away. Despite our protests no goal was given. Almost immediately we had another disallowed when Savage was adjudged to have fouled their keeper before the ball was tapped in. Personally I thought it was a fair challenge but you can't touch keepers these days. After that it was a mainly good defending from Rovers to keep the score at 1-0. In stoppage time though we had our only really nervy moment as first we gave away a free kick on the edge of the area... thankfully Coyne saved that at the 2nd attempt. But then with the last action of the game Chorley put a back pass short and it looked like Colchester were going to level only for Coyne to brilliantly block and then Kay cleaned up.

A really good 3 points and its nice to finally get that away win... hopefully we can follow it up with another good result at Southend on Saturday. The whole team played well tonight but special mentions for Coyne, Shots, Jennings and Barnett. Kay and Chorley also defended well in the main and thats 2 clean sheets now without Goodison. Good to see some passion from the players at the end too. Also when was the last time we won away on a week night?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fantastic result, and to be honest, when you look at their current league form (unbeaten in nine), the fact that we were away from home and wthout Goodison, I'd say it was one of the best results this season.

It keeps us in the shout, now only three points from the top six.

I think the players are really trying hard to shake off the 'goodison factor' and to be fair, two clean sheets, you've got to give them some credit.

Chorley nearly gave me a heart attack with his sloppy backpass in the dying minutes. It was also pleasing to hear they had a good second half.

Let's hope the good form continues, as we need to be continually picking up points.

Joe - how did the classic 4-4-2 formation work out last night? Did Kay have a good game at the back and was Edds effective in midfield? Did we look more effective without Sonko?

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Yeah the 442 worked well to be honest. I think it really is a case though of Ronnie judging which formation is most effective against each team we play. Because sometimes we have gone away with 442 and been poor but not last night. Kay played well in my opinion and apart from a few times in the first half we seemed solid at the back. I'm made up we now have 2 clean sheets in 2 games without Goodison and finally a win too. Edds did ok in the centre... I wouldn't say it was a special performance but he got stuck in and did a job. Jennings was the better of the two for me in centre midfield. As for Sonko I think Shuker on the right and Barnett on the left looked good and we were more effective. It'd be nice to have him back for Saturday just to strengthen our options on the bench but no way would I bring him back into the starting eleven if we stick with 442 on Saturday.

Player
Liam Palmer
Thanks for the eyewitness report - sounds more-or-less what I read about the game. A great result - hopefully lift some of the doom and gloom that came down after the previous two games.

We're running short of players, but we're fighting and that's all you can ask. We're right in it now, and I'm really looking forward to the run in.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
IMO this could end up being our most vital result of the season. Is it Southend away next? someone like that. If we can pick up even a point there - ideally three, but just something - then I think we're back in good shape after a blip against Orient and Crewe.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Enjoyed the report, Joe. Good result for Rovers and it sounds well-deserved. Hadn't appreciated that Colchester were on such a good run, which makes it even better. With the injuries, we're doing well to hang on in there.