• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chester v Tranmere

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Result's the main thing here. Good to see Kirby given a start and making a fair fist of it. Where was Maynard? It was a surprise to see Riley ahead of Sutton on the bench. With Braintree and Dover both having winnable home games in midweek, it's likely things will be even tighter around the play-off places come our 6-pointer this weekend.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Maynard has a niggle which has been troubling him for a few weeks. I thought we actually looked a better side in his absence yesterday and I have to admit that having watched him all season I am not convinced he is good enough for us. We try and play through midfield and Maynard is a very technically limited player, for all his strength and power. Jennings and Hughes made a good partnership yesterday.

In response to BBTC, it appears the low crowd was due to both police restrictions and the apathy of the Chester fans, many of whom have had enough of their current manager.

Player
Manager
John King
For those who haven't seen it, following the ball being put out for an injury, the Guiseley player, rather than passing back to the Braintree keeper, has chosen to smash the ball over the keepers head into the goal from a good 45 yards!

To be fair, he's done well to hit the target which is by no means a given at this level.

Anyway, if it helps us get promoted I'll definitely take it.

From the noises coming out of Guiseley today, I get the impression the game could be replayed or Braintree might be compensated in some way. I am not sure there is any precedent for the League to follow, but watch this space........

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
From the noises coming out of Guiseley today, I get the impression the game could be replayed or Braintree might be compensated in some way. I am not sure there is any precedent for the League to follow, but watch this space........
I'd be surprised if a replay was sanctioned, it was a legitimate goal, even if the ethics of scoring in these circumstances are suspect.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree Boz, although I don't even think he meant to score. It looked more like a clumsy overhit pass.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Footballers are not known for their sportsmanship but this is one occasion when there is an unwritten code which most players understand and abide by. However, I agree with Boz that it was a legitimate goal which the referee had to allow. What should have happened is that the Guiseley manager should have ordered his team to let Braintree have a walk-in goal.
I remember a few years ago, Kanu scored a similar goal for Arsenal in the FA Cup against Sheffield United. He was unaware of the unwritten rule. Arsene Wenger to his credit asked the FA to have the game replayed. Surprisingly, they agreed and the result was the same!
I don't see that happening this time. Guiseley have said it was regrettable but have not yet said anything should be done about it. In any case, it would mean an extra fixture for Braintree, which they may actually lose.
No doubt for the rest of the season NL fans will be telling the Guiseley team what they think about the incident - including the SWA in a few days. They should all be seriously embarrassed.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A win for Braintree but southport did us a favour by winning at Dover.

Massive game for us on Saturday now.

Player
Manager
John King
Indeed. Fair play to Danny Cowley and Braintree. They seem certain to make the play-offs, which will be a remarkable achievement for a club of their size with no wealthy backer. Dover lost at Nantwich on Saturday and will hopefully have a little wobble now. However, Eastleigh come back into the fray after ending Cheltenham's unbeaten run.

Our dreadful run in October and November could still come back to haunt us. Whatever our manager might claim, you can't go on a run of two wins in fourteen without putting massive pressure on yourself in the later stages of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Braintree don't seem to be having too much difficulty with their fixture backlog. Grateful to our Merseyside neighbours for beating Dover, but moneybags Eastleigh are definitely back in the mix after tonight's win.

Agree with RLC that our extensive autumnal bad patch may count against us. Must get as many points as possible from the remaining fixtures and hope that's enough.

Player
Manager
John King
Gateshead lost to Halifax on penalties in the FA Trophy tonight. Hopefully 120 minutes of football will take its toll on Saturday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The FA Cup hasn't thrown up many shocks this season but the FA Trophy certainly has. Only Grimsby of the top NL teams is in the semi-final. Halifax, who struggle to win in the NL, are also there, but the real surprise packages are Bognor Regis and Nantwich, who both operate two levels below our tier.