• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Chester v Rovers (Cheshire Senior Cup)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A very poor performance with too many senior players simply going through the motions.

In the first half we had the majority of the possession and passed the ball quite well at times, but the pace of our play was pedestrian and Chester created the better chances when they counter attacked. In the second half the movement of the forwards was slightly better and we had a bit more threat in behind, but the overall performance was very ragged, with no consistent pattern of play and possession turned over too quickly.

Individually, very few players impressed. Gumbs played with conviction, and I thought the best of the rest were actually Woods, Potter and Ray, who at least seemed to take the game seriously and put in steady displays. Payne was the better of the two strikers; Ferrier looked disinterested and played as if the game was beneath him. Banks had an up and down game, but at least got on the ball and did try and make things happen at times.

The two other youngsters were disappointing. Walker Rice produced one really good through ball for Payne and a couple of decent crosses but gave the ball away a lot, and was too easily brushed off the ball. Gilmour was largely anonymous.

It is disappointing that nobody staked a claim for a place in the first team, but I don't think you can read too much into these matches. At least they all got another ninety minutes of football in their legs.

Player
Manager
John King
oh did i say chester played there academy team that makes the 10 first teamers we played even more of a joke only the likes of gumbs might be around in the summer most of them should be gone as they are so poor
It was a crap game but several of the players out there tonight are capable of much better. Seven or eight of them are better than anything Chester have in their entire squad, not that they showed it this evening.

Player
Manager
John King
true but they need to be arsed first . if we turned up to work and performed like they did tonight we would not have jobs for long
I agree, but is always the same in these games - Senior Cups, Checkatrade nonsense, etc. You can't always read a great deal into these matches.

Player
aldo
agreed but we where playing there kiids for gods sake at the end of the day apart form pilling and gumbs who has just come back the rest are very poor

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report RLC. Disappointing but as you say perhaps not a massive shock.

Player
Manager
John King
agreed but we where playing there kiids for gods sake at the end of the day apart form pilling and gumbs who has just come back the rest are very poor
You can't judge every individual in a disjointed, disinterested performance like tonight. Although tonight's display does suggest that Mellon's team selection is basically correct, despite what a lot of people claim........

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whatever the game, I think the attitude stinks if you cannot go out and perform. You would think players such as Gilmour/Banks would be looking to impress due a chance to feature in the first team unless they already know this is not going to happen this season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Very disappointing. It seems like half of them were not interested and/or not good enough. So many of that lot were playing regular League One football a few months ago yet can't beat a NLN side. No surprise we are now battling relegation.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I was thinking the same regarding the team tonight! Disjointed as it may have been, sounds like from RLC’s report that no one dressed to impress & make a stake for the first team? Maybe they’d rather avoid the pressure, lol

Player
aldo
yes thats my point fine em all or put em on a pay as you play contract then see if they cant be arsed if there not getting payed but it don.t work like that over payed over pamperd they need to do a 90 hr week be stressed out and get 1/4 of what they get . rant over off to bed see ya

drwhoman

I agree with Ian, BBTC and AM. These are League One professionals and to lose to a NLN team in such a manner is disgraceful. We can all argue that the CSC does not matter but that does not excuse disinterest. There were 100 people who took the trouble to go and support them. What messages was MM giving them about the game? As we all know, contracts at Tranmere's level are quite short and you would have thought that as professionals they would all have been keen to ensure that they were at least in the running for another contract. Non of them are going to be signed by a higher level team any time soon! BBTC's comment about battling relegation is very apt!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If Waring was in the Chester side presume not all reserves/academy players? With the strength of the side Rovers put out, we should have been capable of beating their first team and you can’t help but worry about how it might go if any of the current first teamers pick up an injury/ban. While all players with self-respect should have put in a shift last night, it’s perhaps more understandable that those out of first team contention wouldn’t bust a gut. Banks, Ferrier and perhaps Woods are the closest to first team action, so disappointing none of them shone, with RLCs observations about Ferrier’s attitude a particular concern.

Player
aldo
must say i was looking forward to seeing the ferry man and payne at the seasons start morgan works hard but just does not look interested and as for the payne in are arses he is useless . in the summer . mm and mp need a real clear out get as much gone as poss and start a fresh . the annoying thing is as RLC says most of em can and should play a lot better . the problem with some i think as well is the likes of woods and one or two others keep breaking down after a game or so we need to stop getting those type of players who have a bad history of being injured all the time

ADD

Player
Norwood
[QUOTE="bring back the cowshed!, post: 59694, member: 20"

Interesting that Evan Gumbs is captain, despite being one of the youngest three players. Not sure what to make of that, but I'm sure it's positive and will certainly give him a lift.
[/QUOTE]
He was in the last round as well which was his first game back. very vocal apparently...

ADD

Player
Norwood
I have to say I couldn't go due to an ankle injury and even though the consequence of losing in the CSC is diddly squat in the greater scheme of things with such a strong side as that to lose to Chester's mainly youth team might well be seen as one of the worst performances of this season.
As AM and Ian say the attitude of certain players does indeed stink. These after all are professional football players - turning up with no appetite for the game is simply not acceptable. I do wonder is it also a symptom that certain players who have been jettisoned from the first team squad (eg Ferrier) have simply completely fallen out with MM and just want away if he is staying? Concerning, if so as at least 3 possibly 4 of them are on a contract next year also.
On the plus side sounds like Gumbs did well again and looks to have got another full game under his belt with no issues. He deserves some luck. Also Pilling once again seems to have had a very solid game.
Nevertheless not acceptable in my book and an insult to the 100 who went and supported...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If Waring was in the Chester side presume not all reserves/academy players? With the strength of the side Rovers put out, we should have been capable of beating their first team and you can’t help but worry about how it might go if any of the current first teamers pick up an injury/ban. While all players with self-respect should have put in a shift last night, it’s perhaps more understandable that those out of first team contention wouldn’t bust a gut. Banks, Ferrier and perhaps Woods are the closest to first team action, so disappointing none of them shone, with RLCs observations about Ferrier’s attitude a particular concern.

ferriers attitide was questioned last season at Walsall when they went down. You wonder whether he’s not happy that after being the main man all season he’s now behind Vaughan and cookie.