• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

charlie Barnet

Player
Nixon
has been release by accrington stanley.

As a kid he was tipped for big things, shame he hasnt played up to
expectations

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
charlie barnett: an obituary

has been release by accrington stanley.
As a kid he was tipped for big things, shame he hasnt played up to
expectations

by merseyside bossman

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Could be a decent cheap signing in terms of getting a stronger group of squad players next season, and is someone who could be a chance maker - which was a massive negative second half of the season, especially when Robbo not firing on all cylinders or injured. Defensively we were not too bad - just didn't look like scoring.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He'll be another Danny Harrison. Don't see the point.

Player
Goodison
Terrible attitude and he's not very good, no thanks.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When he was with us, I always got the impression that he thought he was better than he was. Ronnie knows him well, so I'd be surprised to see him back, even if he was "cheap".

drwhoman

CHARLIE BARNETT

It is quite sad when these young guys who do not make it at the likes of Liverpool somehow feel that they are above the rest. Nathan Eccleston or David Amoo are other classic cases. Quite good players when they are prepared to give it a go but a bad attitude lets them down. If a player get the push from a top club, and they are ambitious, they have to either dig in, and try harder,or just recognise that they do not have what it takes and be happy with a career at a lower level. Gareth Roberts is a good example of a guy who did not quite make it but who has had a decent career. Going into a dressing room full of honest triers who have never had the opportunity to play at a top club and to wander round with your nose in the air is not going to endear you to them! It is not good for team morale and the likes of Ronnie is not going to tolerate it for long.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A classic counter-example to this is James Wallace. A rising star at Everton, he turned down a contract extension at Everton to join us because he thought playing in Tranmere's first team was better for his development than another season in Everton Reserves. Once he starts playing again, he'll also be in the shop window for Championship and possibly Premiership clubs. Good luck to him.

The top clubs try to hoover up all the best talent and have huge numbers of youngsters on their books. Meanwhile, they buy established foreign players, making it even more difficult for an English lad to make the breakthrough. Sorry, gone way off topic, but feel strongly about the negative effect the Premiership has on English talent. The Football League does a lot more good in this respect.

drwhoman

ENGLISH PLAYERS

I agree with what you say BBTC regarding young English players but I think it is young players generally. You look at the Liverpool Under 21 team and there are guys from England, Wales, Ireland, Hungary, Spain, Sweden and so forth. How many of them are going to make it? Very few if any. A Premier League club will want instant success and will not use its own young players unless desperate. So not only do the young English guys have to find a home on the Football League, if they are willing, but the foreign boys actually have to go back home and find a club after committing to go to a foreign country when only a teenager. Still, if there is any chance of becoming a superstar.........

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
It is quite sad when these young guys who do not make it at the likes of Liverpool somehow feel that they are above the rest. Nathan Eccleston or David Amoo are other classic cases. Quite good players when they are prepared to give it a go but a bad attitude lets them down. If a player get the push from a top club, and they are ambitious, they have to either dig in, and try harder,or just recognise that they do not have what it takes and be happy with a career at a lower level. Gareth Roberts is a good example of a guy who did not quite make it but who has had a decent career. Going into a dressing room full of honest triers who have never had the opportunity to play at a top club and to wander round with your nose in the air is not going to endear you to them! It is not good for team morale and the likes of Ronnie is not going to tolerate it for long.

this is based on what knowledge? have you met or worked with any of these people?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On Barnett, he wasn't that bad, remember him getting one decent goal from a free-kick (at Oldham?), but he hasn't advanced any since leaving Rovers.

Amoo was meant to be a very polite youngster by all accounts, so while I've never met him, would be a little sceptical about a suggested attitude problem. If we're talking football ability on the other hand...

drwhoman

PLAYERS

I agree that I was probably being presumptious about Eccleston and Amoo. My apologies if anyone has been offended. However, how else do you explain why very capable young players, and video footage of their games at Liverpool confirms this to be the case, do not seem to be able to cut it at lower levels? I have certainly read comments on this site about apparent lack of interest shown by these players in particular games although Eccleston only played for us briefly? Why is this if not attitude? Lack of personal confidence perhaps? Why have they not succeeded like Wallace? This is all academic I know but it must be something the Manager has to consider when offering contracts to players.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In the case of Amoo who we've seen more than Ecclestone, I cannot see how he successfully made his way through the Liverpool academy and reserve team two sign a 2-year contract. He's rubbish.

Maybe drwhoman has a point.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I agree that I was probably being presumptious about Eccleston and Amoo. My apologies if anyone has been offended. However, how else do you explain why very capable young players, and video footage of their games at Liverpool confirms this to be the case, do not seem to be able to cut it at lower levels? I have certainly read comments on this site about apparent lack of interest shown by these players in particular games although Eccleston only played for us briefly? Why is this if not attitude? Lack of personal confidence perhaps? Why have they not succeeded like Wallace? This is all academic I know but it must be something the Manager has to consider when offering contracts to players.

Ecclestone didn't seem to have the best attitude towards his team mates, and I don't think Ronnie and Barnett ever really saw eye to eye - although for me Barnett always gave 100% on a matchday and that was all I cared about. He was a good player for us in the playoff run in.

Amoo hasn't done very well for us but I think it's unfair to criticize his character/personality when the only evidence you have to back up that claim is a perceived sense of underachievement.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Wallace is a talented player, Barnett has moderate ability and Amoo is very poor. I think this is the explanation for their varying levels of performance. Everton and Liverpool sign up dozens of youngsters every year, so common sense suggests that the majority will not make it in the professional game, let alone at the top level.

I think there is a general tendency among football fans to see every failing in a player as the result of 'poor character' when the simple truth is that some are good and many are not. The same attitude is exemplified in the belief of some of our supporters that we 'bottled' promotion this season, when in reality the explanations for our failure to go up lay elsewhere.

drwhoman

CHARLIE BARNETT

I think the previous two comments are probably right. I would imagine that because the general standard of young player is higher in, say, a Liverpool Under 21 side, some guys will be made to look better than they are by some of the guys around them. They then struggle once they are out of that environment. Others will thrive like Wallace or Tom Ince. You just never know!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Are we anywhere near making any signings. Noticed some business down at our level on Sky that involved strikers, but all quiet for us...............will it be last min.com for next season??

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
its may 14, dont worry about