• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Booing at games

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
OK, I know this is going to open up a can of worms, but what are peoples opinions about slagging off the manager/the team at games.

I've opened up this thread because I can see the pre-match dicussion becoming hijacked as some people said they were chanting for littles head, whilst others said it's not helping matters.

What are your thoughts? Sensible discussions please.

IMO, I believe people have the right to chant whatever they like at games. You pay your money, so you're entitled to an opinion. But does this help? At games when the team is losing and they hear "boring boring Tranmere". Is that really going to help.

I dunno. It's hard to keep your feelings in though when you pay good money to watch rubbish.

Then again, there's shouting and there's acting like idiots. Some of the behaviour I've seen at away games is shocking. Kids and adults all acting like idiots, half of them drunk making an ass of themselves. It's not a pretty sight.

Ally

Player
Aldo
It's a difficult one this. I agree with you Ian, fans should be able to put their opinion across to the manager and the players if they are performing poorly, and history has shown that fans have been able to hound out managers who have shown tactical inablility and an ineptitude for the game.

The problem is that it's all about opinions amongst fans. There are fans who think we should continue with Little, fans that have wanted him out for some time. Just look at Villa now - the fans are virtually united in that they want O'Leary out, and he'll probably go in the summer, if not before. This dictates the feeling at matches and whether there's booing. Fans have made flags expresses their frustration.

If we'd been good this season (oh, if only) and gone on an unbeaten run but then slipped up at home against a side we should have beaten, the fans wouldn't boo - they'd be disappointed but understand it was a bad day at the office. But when we've been so poor all season, and occasionally showed promise, that's frustrating and annoying because we all know the team can play better. In my eyes, this is the manager's fault and therefore as fans we need the manager to understand our frustrations. The only way to do this is by collectively expressing an opinion, i.e. booing the manager.

We cheer when we score, cheer when we win, shout 'Little, give us a wave' when we're playing well and winning games and tactically outplaying teams. But when we play poorly, and are tactically outplayed I think we're entitled to vent our frustrations to the manager. It's part of the game.

DixieDean

Personally I don't think the team or the manager should be barracked during games. If you turn up as a supporter then that is what you should do (in my opinion).
If you aren't happy then don't go to the games.

A dramatic drop in crowds would be seen as a a pre-meditated decision by fans to stay away (as opposed to a knee jerk reaction when shouting abuse form the crowd) and for me, is the only way the board will sit up and take notice.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, ultimately, I dont think slagging the team off during games is going to help matters. I don't think it helps matters though when the manager turns around and tells the boo boys to be quiet. That just gets more people's backs up. But as a supporter, the club runs through your viens, so what's the best way to express anger/disappointment? I guess everyone's different about how they express their feelings. Some write in to the club, some shout at games, some behave like idiots at games.. It is very difficult Ally.

One thing that has annoyed me this season is the management. OK, there were boo's early on in the season, and Little turned round and told them to be quiet. He's continued to do this for the whole season, now coming to the end of the season and saying, "lets wait till the end of the season and re-group". I can see the exact same thing happening next season.

The problem I have also is that I can see this club getting worse by the season. Look at the records, we are. Something needs to change, but you can't shut out the supporters and those that stay away aren't doing anyone any favours.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
I believe that when we've booed them off they come out better. Cos if we clap them they think theyre doing ok, so I think that booing the team is needed.

It's apart of football, you spend your money you want to watch them win and if your watching rubbish you have right to express yourself and booing them is the best way. I donlt think you should parade banners about and what not but I don;t see a problem with booing/jeering.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
DixieDean said:
A dramatic drop in crowds would be seen as a a pre-meditated decision by fans to stay away
That's happened already, with home gates this season dropping from the 8,500 mark at the start of the season to a paltry 6,500 after what has to be described as a season of utter dross.

The 'boo-boys' that Little is harping on about and saying are sabotaging the season (look in the mirror, fool!) are a work of fiction. All most Rovers fans do is give a groan as the teams are read out and we're fielding five or six centre backs again. And then ask one another in confusion why on earth no substitutions are being made when the game is screaming out for one. And they boo at the final whistle when we've been beaten again or 'secured' a draw without a shot on goal all game again.

The problem is not the fans who turn up. And you know what, it's not the fans who stay away either. The problem is Brian Little, just as it's been all along.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The only time I've booed is when the manager makes an inept substitution, save the rest of my anger for opponents or poor officials. While I don't think it motivates the players to be jeered, it does set down a marker to club officials that the fans aren't happy. The falling attendances are a more forceful way of getting this across.

M

Matthew The Rover

I do not agree with booing the team and I never do because I think they nearly always give their all.

It is the manager who I booed at Rotherham and chanted against because he is the one who picks the terrible tactics and makes those strange substitutions. I will continue to boo him until he leaves.