• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ben Burgess

• Thread starter OneNightInGayParis
  • Start date
O

OneNightInGayParis

At last we have our first new signing and quite a positive one. TBH I thought we could have been waiting a couple of weeks yet.

Don't know that much about the lad and don't really remember seeing him play. However, he seems to have a decent pedigree and I am quite happy about the signing. Sounds like we'll need a "fox in the box" type to complete a potent partnership.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
2 years as well, think we need all our players on this, or at least 1 year with the option, none of this 1 year and thats it rubbish we had been giving out.

Onwards and upwards Ronnie, good start!

Player
Jimmy Harvey
He has been around a bit think he was at County last year and went on loan to Cheltenham???
He is a big unit and a typical RM forward, as someone else said we just need a fox in the box now........good signing in my opinion.:p

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Big, fat, Ronnie Moore striker. Not a bad signing though really.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
An experienced target man who had a good strike record at Hull and Blackpool but didn't do much at Notts County. But if he can stay fit, then he could make all the difference next season. A very impressive first signing, which shows Ronnie's intent and can only help in attracting other players to the club.

BTW, the transfer is already on Ben's page on Wikipedia. Who keeps all this info up to date? You've got to be impressed.

drwhoman

I agree with the above. A good signing. Old fashioned centre forward who will score a few goals. A shame Kevin Phillips is staying with Blackpool. He would have made a great partner.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A decent enough signing plenty of expierience will score a few goals and be the target man ronnie prefers.

drwhoman

I thought he might have been out of our pay league but I think he started at Blackpool (?) so may be 'coming home'. Unless PJ has got the cash box out from under the bed!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Decent signing, big target man with good experience at these levels. Probably get us around 10 goals a season. Knocking on a bit though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Notts fans find it amusing that we've replaced Showumni with someone even worse.

I don't know if that's fair comment, though there are questions about his fitness and workrate. However, Bas and Enoch arrived with similar negative remarks and in their 1st seasons did a decent job until injury struck. I'll reserve judgement until seeing how he shapes up in a Rovers shirt.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Burgess featured in both of Blackpool's promotion seasons and is definitely a cut above the standard of player I expected us to be signing. Good news.

Player
Manager
John King
Notts fans find it amusing that we've replaced Showumni with someone even worse.

He seemed to do pretty well in a good footballing side at Cheltenham. Maybe working under Mad Dog Allen didn't suit him ?

drwhoman

Admittedly ten years ago now but I used to watch him regularly when he was on loan here in Sydney. A good honest forward who will cause a few problems for Division One defences. I only saw Enoch once or twice and on the screen but Burgess is better. He might work well with Cassidy if they could get him back. Maybe also with McGurk who Les turned into a wide man when in reality he is better inside.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Maybe also with McGurk who Les turned into a wide man when in reality he is better inside.

Thats what Im thinking, unless we get someone much much better, i can see mcgurk and burgess leading the line....or if we get a good striker, mcgurk as the sub player

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
McGurk often looks quite lost when played as a striker; for a 23 year old his positioning awareness is quite naive. That said, I'm not really sold on the idea of having him in midfield in a 4-4-2 either. This is a big 'sink or swim' season for him.

Player
Manager
John King
I think McGurk has almost certainly been signed to play out wide and seems to have won a contract almost entirely on the strength of a performance in that position at Walsall at the tail end of last season.

I foresee a problem in that he is not really a conventional winger and often tends to drift inside and join in with play, whereas Ronnie has always favoured out and out wingers, particularly with someone like Burgess up front.

Player
Backayogo
Personally I think the old fashioned way, if thats what you can call it, is the best. Old fashioned wingers to me is the way forward. The great teams always had great wingers. Get the ball in the box and leave it to the others to sort out preferably in the goal obviously.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Unfortunately, wingers as a species have been dying out since before Alf Ramsey's time. Modern managers prefer "wide players" who track back and spend half their time defending. Having an out and out winger is seen as a luxury. Having two is an extravagance. Because they are so unfashionable, there aren't very many about - particularly good ones.