• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bangor City v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Did anyone go? It seems we played a combination of youngsters and triallists, as at Lairds. This means the first-team squad is currently very short of match practice with only three pre-season games to go. I don't remember a pre-season like this one. Gary seems to be concentrating a lot on the triallists, presumably in the hope of finding two or three to sign up. I assume he's working on the training pitch on tactics with the first-teamers, but will they be match-fit and playing as a unit by 8th August?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would guess the first eleven will play all of the next three games, so I am not too concerned about the players' fitness. From what I have heard we have sports scientists working with the squad to assess the fitness of individual players, something we certainly have not had previously, so if anything we should be better prepared this season.

Like Lairds on Saturday, the Bangor game seemed to be a bit of a non-event, but at least the club warned us in advance this time.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can't imagine many went given the distance and the warning about team selection. Perhaps would have been nicer to organise friendly against a N Wales side closer to home.

Like BBTC, I'm a little bemused about Brabin's approach to these games. I'm unsure Brabin was even at the Lairds game, as Shaun Garnett was visible on the bench. Both games seemed ideal for giving the young pros/second year scholars like Duggan, Jago, Omotola, full run-outs. Bangor did see Gumbs get a full game along with Pilling and Eddie Clarke, who think is a first year left-back got to play in both games. I can't imagine the budget stretches to more than a couple more signings, so surely more use taking a look at players already on the books than an array of trialists?

I'd agree with RLC that the remaining games are likely to feature something closer to the likely starting xi v Woking. Thus far, Riley and Norwood have been injured and not featured at all, which must be a concern. Depending on work, will try making Friday's friendly hoping to get a better idea how things are shaping up.

M

Mal

Preseason is for fitness and selecting additional players. It is not for entertaining supporters. If i don't want to pay, i don't go. I am more interested in the league matches so think the manager should do what he thinks best to improve our chances of doing well in those games. Overall, things look to be on track.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can't imagine there will be a problem with fitness. It all seems very well organised this season. You can't blame the manager for tinkering in pre-season. Hope Norwood is fit for the start of the season.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I think RLC is right in saying that the 3 home friendlies will see teams composed mainly of those players likely to figure in the first league game. It's a bit disappointing to still not have heard anything about us signing Margetts particularly as we seem to have lost out to Gateshead in getting the signature of Ryan Bowman (see National web site). We can't afford to lose out again to a likely promotion rival on the signing of a potential match winner.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's a bit surprising that Bowman turned us down for Gateshead, if it's true. The only source of this seems to be the chairman of said club, anyone else know if we were actually in for him?

Gateshead have also recruited Danny Johnson, who was on loan to us last year. Both look reasonable signings at this level.

I'd have thought, if he was signing, Margetts would have done so by now.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It's a bit disappointing to still not have heard anything about us signing Margetts particularly as we seem to have lost out to Gateshead in getting the signature of Ryan Bowman (see National web site). We can't afford to lose out again to a likely promotion rival on the signing of a potential match winner.

I think Bowman is from the 'Great North' having started his career at Carlisle which may be one of the reasons he did not come to us.

It seems that Gateshead, like Forest Green and Eastleigh, still have some money to splash around. They paid a five figure fee for Bowman so it is possible that they outbid us.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Be interesting to see if Margetts is in the squad for the Blackburn home game on Friday. If not then it will begin to look like we've lost him, which with Norwood still not fully fit will leave us a bit thin up front with the season only just over 2 weeks away.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
with Norwood still not fully fit will leave us a bit thin up front with the season only just over 2 weeks away.
Not to worry, we do have Cole Stockton eager to enter the fray.