• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

(B)eastleigh v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It wouldn't surprise me if Braintree lost to Alty, but Rovers fail to beat Grimsby.
That would be horrible in the extreme, although would not surprise me at all.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A deserved victory for Rovers. Over the ninety minutes we were the team that wanted it more and had the courage to get on the front foot and take some risks in the second half. I was really impressed with the character the players showed today, given the enormous pressure they were under.

The first half was an even and scrappy affair. We showed a lot of commitment and the tackles were flying in in midfield, but there was little quality shown by either side, with numerous misplaced passes. I understood Brabin's decision to go with a cautious 4-5-1, but still found some of his selections perplexing. Maynard was played out of position on the right wing where he was poor, and Jeff Hughes was used as the holding midfield player with Harris and Jennings given licence to get forward. As Hughes is the most creative of the three, I thought this was a strange decision. In addition, neither GTF or Mekki made the starting eleven. Defensively we were as solid as ever, with Ihiekwe in particular playing well in the first period.

In the second half we gradually upped the tempo and began to commit men forward, although it was not until Mekki came on for the ineffective Kirby that we really started to create chances. Norwood, who was superb, was unlucky with two opportunities: the first, a superb chest control and volley from 25 yards out which was harshly disallowed for offside; the second, a rebound off the keeper which he was inches away from converting. The pressure continued to build and we eventually got our reward with a cool nod over the keeper from Norwood after decent build up play.

Individually, I thought Norwood was fantastic, by far our best player. His workrate was phenomenal and he was involved in all the passages of play of genuine quality. Scott Davies had next to nothing to do, but made one brilliant save at 0-0 in the second half. Today's game just confirmed for me that they are by far our two most important players. In the second period both Jennings and Hughes were decent in midfield.

On the negative side, Maynard was dreadful and Ridehalgh unspeakably bad. I appreciate he was played out of position, but Lois's ball skills are virtually non-existent, which is not acceptable in a central midfielder in my book. In addition, he does not seem to read the game and just reacts to situations rather than anticipating them. Ridehalgh was really poor: the number of misplaced passes and overhit crosses from him was off the scale today, and I think we badly need a new left back.

Taking the season as a whole, I agree with TT64's comments above. I have been Brabin's biggest critic, but if we win next week and finish sixth we will at least end the season on a bit of a high and in decent form for the first time in years. Our form in the second half of the season must be our best since 2009 and if replicated over the whole of next season - a big if I know - would get us in the play-offs at least. It is the first time in years that we have had any genuine momentum and it probably would not be wise to disturb it.

All of that said, we won't succeed until the home form improves. The cautious 4-5-1 works brilliantly away from home, but is next to useless at PP. GB needs to completely re-assess his tactics in home games, rather than hiding behind excuses as he has done this season. If he does, we might be celebrating this time next year.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC. Slightly ironic that for all he did wrong, Maynard heading on for Norwood set up our winner, which GB may feel justified his selection. I've only seen the goal, so entirely accept your observations on how he performed during the rest of the match.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's been a very strange season. We are the only team to win at champions Cheltenham, yet we have lost at home to the bottom team Welling. I don't ever remember any team getting more points away than at home. Even if we win next week, this will be the case. We have earned 40 points on our travels. If we'd done the same at home, we'd finish on 80 points and in all likelihood in the play-offs. Those stats just sum up our season.

Last edited:

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Very accurate report from RLC. I would agree entirely that we fully deserved to win this very scrappy hard fought affair and felt throughout we would come out on top.
These 4 5 1 away performances are certainly not pretty to watch but are highly effective in this league. We were on a great winning streak until the Aldershot away game when the system was disrupted by the calculated risk of adding Higdon....enough said!
I thought the SWA were back to top form with really positive encouragement, generating great noise and atmosphere. Also the chants for Mekki to enter the fray were very perceptive and perhaps influenced his introduction which was the catalyst to up the tempo and clinch the game.
On the performance side I was quite alarmed to see Martin Riley come on to replace Big Mac (who must presumably been suffering from the elbow in the face) as from what little have seen of Martin before have not been convinced by him. However he did quite well and looked solid enough with Ihiekwe impressively taking over the defensive leadership role. James Norwood was of course MOM with in my view Jeff Hughes having a very good game being the only one who seems to have enough quality to get hold of the ball and look for the pass to open up play.
Lois Maynard may have contributed to the goal but agree with RLC that he was awful technically. Had a look on the Spitfires supporters club site who generally thought we were a good side with great support but wondered what we were doing with that "donkey" Maynard.
I know it is stating the obvious but can't help thinking if we had dispatched Welling like we should have and at least taken a point from the Wrexham home game we would be in a strong position now. Well of course we live to fight another day and whilst Alty winning at Braintree seems unlikely, nerves can play a big part and stranger things have happened!