• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Areas we need to strengthen

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Defensively we desperately need strengthening in terms of numbers. Injuries to the back line have cost us dear imo this season, only having 5 true defenders is nowhere near enough. Maybe the solution is in versatile players ala Jones/Loran etc who can play a number of positions. And obviously a goalie has to be found. We've been through so many in the last couple of years.

I think we've got a decent midfield. Shuker, McLaren, Harrison are all decent players - could do with 1 or 2 additions as I think Jennings, Mike Jones, McAteer, Ellison may be tried to be shipped out.

And up front, Greenacre, Curran, Davies and even Zola (if he can stop being so injury-prone) is very good. With Taylor maybe a useful player to have on the sidelines too, I reckon we're well off in the striking department.

So as there's no games going on for the next 4 months, who shall we be signing this summer? Let the crazy rumours commence!!!:lol:

Player
Morrisey
Hinchliffe on a pemanent as a number 2 perhaps? I am not very good at guessing who we will get and this year will be even harder because there are an enormous number of players whose contracts are up.

Seven keepers in 16 months is far too many.

Player
Goodison
I wouldnt keep Hinchcliffe, he looks shaky and nervous. He had a good second half v Crewe, but he was awful v Brentford, he wouldnt come off the line corners. I would sign Dino Seremet and another goalkeeper and keep Achterberg as a coach/player.

I would keep all our defenders but sign Thompson and 1 more defender. I would get rid of Taylor and Davies and sign a striker and a left winger with Ellison as back up.

We need a holding midfielder to allow Mclaren to go forward.

We need some utility players to cover all of our positions.

Player
Goodison
I think Jennings, Mike Jones, McAteer, Ellison may be tried to be shipped out.

Mike Jones, jennings and Ellison should be kept. Jones is young and a decent winger. Jennings can cover for other players. Also Ellison should be kept as back up to a left winger (not Davies hes useless )

McAteer can go as we need to give players such as Harrison and Jennings a chance.

B

Banana Army

I thin the squad for next season should be:

Achterberg, GK2

Goodison, Tremarco, Thompson, Sheriff, McCready, Stockdale, Versatile Defender

McAteer, MaClaren, Shuker, Mullin, Jennings, Jones, Quick Winger, Creative Central Midfielder

Greenacre, Zola, Davies (He's not a midfielder Ronnie), Curran, Pacy Striker

So all in all i believe we need a keeper to be number 1 or at least push achto, a versatie defender who can play centre back and on one or both flanks, a midfielder who can dictate the play, a winger with some pace and a reasonably quick striker.

We should give Jenno a run in the first team, get rid of Ellison and send Jones out on loan again. Thr whole defence should be kept with thompson being signed and Taylor should be sold off.

All in all we have the basis of a good team, we just need strength in depth.

Player
Morrisey
Thornton has been released. He is a class player and I would have him back but I cant see any other fans wanting him back. If he was they key to us getting promotion by bossing the park I think we should go for him. Achto is a scout now he was at Bury on Saturday. I think we should stick with our attack and invest in defence and goal. Mullin out for me. I think the key is an exceptional Goalie because it is obviously the key to a winning team.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Sorry but there's no way Thornton would stick it out here....he just wouldn't be welcome and I can't see him turning the fans around.

See Burnley have released Danny Coyne...would be a great signing in my opinion. See Bournemouth have released Steve Fletcher too...I know he's 35 but always seemed to score goals for them....might be worth a season??

Think midfield playmaker is a major priority for us...heard rumours of Steven Schumacher coming from Bradford.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
As said Danny Coyne has been released and has had preliminary talks with us I hear. John McGreal has been released by Burnley too... would he be worth bringing in for a year to sort the defence? Ben Hinchliffe has been released too. I reckon a Coyne and Hinchliffe goalkeeping one two would be good enough for this league!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Danny Coyne would an excellent addition to the squad, I would welcome him back with open arms for sure but I've heard one or 2 Championship clubs are after him too so he might want to stay at that level for his Wales career. As for the kid Hinchliffe, didn't do anything for me on Saturday. Shaky, nervous, butter-fingers! Not good for a keeper!:lol:

Schumacher from Bradford, I've heard this one too. He's from Merseyside, started with the blue sh!te I believe, and since Bradford have been relegated he may want to move on. He's impressed me when we've played them so I think he could be a good one.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
If that's true about Danny Coyne having preliminary talks, that's good enough for me! I'd definitely have him back.

As for Hinchcliffe, he could be one to keep and coach. Achto could do wonders with a kid like that under his wing!

B

Banana Army

Please please please, sign up Moore an Coyne. Also if we could bring Broadhurst to cover at the back that would be ace. And i'd love to see us stump up a bit of cash for Adam nowland. Quality ex hammer.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
According to The Daily Post, the following players will know at the end of this week if their contracts are being renewed:

John Achterberg
Gavin Ward (Please No!)
Chris McCready
Danny Harrison
Jason McAteer
Michael Johnston
Paul Henry
Ollie James
Mike Jones

Player
Goodison
They must be bonkers renewing Ward#-o, unless there gonna play him as some kind of centre forward since he cant catch a ball

Del Shannon

Player
Iain Hume
harrison, ward and mcateer are the three i'd most like to see go...harrison has been on thin ice for along time and i'm suprised he has lasted this long, he is a conference/league two player at best imo. How can you have a midfielder who doesn't assert himself on the game? he is completly unoticable when he plays...
Ward has dissapointed me, not that i was expecting much and Mcateer is just hanging around the place like a smelly fart...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don't see either keeper staying, much as I like Achto.
Think McCready has done enough to deserve another deal, he's been very steady.
Neutral on Harrison, but he has been playing recently and may get another year. McAteer, on the performance at Blackpool doesn't deserve another deal.
Of the younger players, would like to see Mike Jones getting a new deal but as RM's farmed him out to Shrewsbury for half a season, obviously doesn't rate. Paul Henry is promising and I'd keep, don't know enough about Johnston and Ollie James may have been injured at the wrong time

B

Banana Army

Neutral on Harrison,

Thats the problem. He is a neutral player. Dosnt do much wrong but i hardlyever find myself saying good tackle danny or good shot Danny. It seems the best wayto sum Harrison up is neutral or frustrating. That is why it is so hard to get rid of him. He's probably on a low wage and is an OK squad player. If we want o go forwards, IMO, he is the kind of player we need to get rid of.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I thin the squad for next season should be:
Goodison, Tremarco, Thompson, Sheriff, McCready, Stockdale, Versatile Defender

Cheltenham have released Jamie Victory. He's 31 but he's a pretty good defender, and versatile.

B

Banana Army

Cheltenham have released Jamie Victory. He's 31 but he's a pretty good defender, and versatile.

Only ever seen him at left back personally. Would rather Karl Broadhurst or Rhys Western. He wasn't so bad a ciouple of years back, but if he's being released by Port Vale, maybe its better we don't sign him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Barnsley have released Anthony Kay, defender 100%er, though think had a few discipline problems. Wouldn't mind seeing him at PP.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd agree with Moore when he says we need a defender or two. He wants someone to play alongside Goodison. McReady has been good this season, but I don't think he's a great defender.

Also a creative midfielder is a must, but like goldust I would imagine.