• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Alan Mahon avaible for laon

• Thread starter championship_here_we_come
  • Start date
C

championship_here_we_come

just the type of player we need
however knowing BL he wont go for him beacuse he is too atacking for his liking

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd love to see him back.
No, I'd love to see some creativity :p

M

Matthew The Rover

I'd have him back any day. He could live in my house if I owned it, ust to play for TRFC.

The creativity would be great. :D But it would also be usefull to have somebody who wasn't scared to shoot from outside the 6-yard box.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
wouldn't mind him at all, great player. ANd he isn't too old, hes youung wih alot of experience.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Get him back thats what I say we made him and I think he won't have any doughts in coming back to Prenton Park. We need someone in the team to spice up the attack and he could help!! I hope BL sees what we see and get the lad

M

Matthew The Rover

Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
i personally wouldn't have him back, but what a player :!:

And why wouldn't you have him back? What hasn't he got that everybody else in our team has?

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I'd love to have him back myself. Although he won't come back apprently because of Lorraine Rogers and I think he is more likely to go to a championship club anyway.

Matthew The Rover said:
Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
i personally wouldn't have him back, but what a player :!:

And why wouldn't you have him back? What hasn't he got that everybody else in our team has?

i wouldn't have him back because, why are we always looking to bring players back? i think we need to move on from ex-players and sign someone new,fresh and raw! what would you say if he came back and didn't perform?

DixieDean

Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
i wouldn't have him back because, why are we always looking to bring players back? i think we need to move on from ex-players and sign someone new,fresh and raw! what would you say if he came back and didn't perform?

you mean new fresh and raw like Summerbee or like Bruce?

You can ask the "what if he comes and doesnt perform" question about anyone and if a manager had that attitude he'd never make any signings!

By bringing back an ex-player, you know what you are getting. Mahon is quality, we've seen it for ourselves. Ok, we don't know for certain if he'd like the manager or fit into his style of play, but at least we know his ability. Bringing in an unkown quantity is an even bigger risk.

DixieDean said:
Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:

you mean new fresh and raw like Summerbee or like Bruce?

You can ask the "what if he comes and doesnt perform" question about anyone and if a manager had that attitude he'd never make any signings!

By bringing back an ex-player, you know what you are getting. Mahon is quality, we've seen it for ourselves. Ok, we don't know for certain if he'd like the manager or fit into his style of play, but at least we know his ability. Bringing in an unkown quantity is an even bigger risk.

you're right it may be a bigger risk in signing someone who is unknown,but thats what makes a good manager. being prepared to gamble in this game is a big ask! i know where a million miles apart from arsenal but look what wenger did with vieria!(no one had heard of him)also nicolas anelka(bought him for £500,000 and sold him for £24m) crackin manager!

i certainly wouldn't call sumerbee raw and fresh,and i ask has he ever played for us? or have you signed him on you're computer game? :-k

M

Matthew The Rover

I would never sign him on my PC game, all he'd do would be to play in the reserves

C

ChiefRich

Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:

I've noticed in recent posts that you seem to have this big problem in signing ex-players back. Why? What's it got to do with "moving on"? I just don't understand. If Mahon was available, he'd be a good signing because he is better than anyone else we have in the position, and would therefore "move the team on" to a better level, which would surely be a good thing.

Ok he left "acrimoniously" about 5 years ago or something, but at the end of the day, isn't signing someone who is going to strengthen the team more important than whether he left on good terms in a different era? After all, it could be said that we have "moved on" from the time at which Mahon left. We have, from Division One to Division Two. Getting a player who could help get us back there might be nice.

I remember you being the same when someone suggested David Kelly should be the next manager.

Anyway, what we should try and remember more is that players are professionals. It is all well and good to say, "if I was a professional I'd NEVER leave Tranmere, not even if Man United came in and offered me £55,000 a week over Tranmere's £800", but if you were professional, I bet you would! Mahon was offered more money and took it at the expense of his development, but he is still definitely good enough to play for us now.

DixieDean

Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
i certainly wouldn't call sumerbee raw and fresh,and i ask has he ever played for us? or have you signed him on you're computer game? :-k

i know, i was being sarcastic. You seemed to be suggesting that we should sign players who've never played for us because that somehow makes them more raw and fresh!

Player
John Aldridge
Well a reliable source informs me that Ipswich wanted AM on loan and Wigan rejected their approach.
I'd like us to try and get Paul Evans from forest, he's a great battling midfielder who scores goals and takes great penalties, he fell out with Megson and is sitting in the reserves. He's a good lad, hell I should know I was in school with him and still see him around.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Phantom of Prenton said:
Well a reliable source informs me that Ipswich wanted AM on loan and Wigan rejected their approach.
I'd like us to try and get Paul Evans from forest, he's a great battling midfielder who scores goals and takes great penalties, he fell out with Megson and is sitting in the reserves. He's a good lad, hell I should know I was in school with him and still see him around.

Good shout Phantom - I'm sure if asked he'd join us on loan. Would be a good signing if he's fully fit - saw him score a great free kick against us a few years ago if memeory serves...

ChiefRich said:
Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:

I've noticed in recent posts that you seem to have this big problem in signing ex-players back. Why? What's it got to do with "moving on"? I just don't understand. If Mahon was available, he'd be a good signing because he is better than anyone else we have in the position, and would therefore "move the team on" to a better level, which would surely be a good thing.

Ok he left "acrimoniously" about 5 years ago or something, but at the end of the day, isn't signing someone who is going to strengthen the team more important than whether he left on good terms in a different era? After all, it could be said that we have "moved on" from the time at which Mahon left. We have, from Division One to Division Two. Getting a player who could help get us back there might be nice.

I remember you being the same when someone suggested David Kelly should be the next manager.

Anyway, what we should try and remember more is that players are professionals. It is all well and good to say, "if I was a professional I'd NEVER leave Tranmere, not even if Man United came in and offered me £55,000 a week over Tranmere's £800", but if you were professional, I bet you would! Mahon was offered more money and took it at the expense of his development, but he is still definitely good enough to play for us now.

1st of all mate,i am right behind the idea of david kelly becoming our next manager(if need be)so i think you've got you're wires crossed on that one!

2nd-ly, mahon left to go to sporting lisbon,a club that meant rovers getting no transfer fee! he hardly ever played for them aswell,so he certainly never progressed there! GS saved him from his nightmare,and helped us get some money! he kicked on at blackburn and had a great 1st year,but when they got promoted to the prem he was frozen out,reminds me of a similar position he is at @ wigan :!: don't get me wrong,he is a quality player,but i feel little needs to be looking at the long term rather tha a short term fix :!:

3rd and lastly,if i was pro @ rovers or any other cub for that matter, i would "do a rooney" and i don't believe anybody who says that "they wouldn't" :!:

M

Matthew The Rover

If you mean Ryan Taylor, then you are very wrong, as he is playing nearly every game for them (maybe not 90 mins a game but he is getting a game every week.)

Whereas we got £1,000,000 for Alan Mahon because he signed for Blackburn Rovers. He never played for Sporting but if I remember rightly signed for Blackburn as quick as he could to get Rovers the money as the year mark was approaching fast.