• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

After more money.

Player
John Aldridge
As you've all probably read on the official site there's something new for 2006/2007, no not semi naked cheerleaders at half time (great idea though)
Sponsoring goals with the option of either £1, £5 or £10 per goal and what do you get??? Your name in the programme. They make it sound like its a fantastic opportunity, are they taking the piss? They cant even appoint a manager without the usual fannying about.
What are they going to come up with next, sponsor a blade of grass? or sponsor a bulb in the floodlights, maybe get your name printed on the back of the goalposts.

What does everyone else think about the 'Sponsor a goal' idea?

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I find it amazing everyday how many absolutely useless ideas the marketing team come up with to raise money for a club that needs the dosh.

All they have to do is hire a decent coach to entice the season ticket holders back week in week out and there's immediate income.

Get it together Ms Rogers!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think you can blame the club for trying to create extra income. In fact, there's a few of us on here that are trying to get a sponsorship deal through for next season, but hitting that donate button would certainly help! :)

I'm not really bothered what gets sponsored next season as long as we have more entertaining football than last..

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
i think they are trying to save us money based on last season. why spend over £100 on sponsoring a player when you can spend half that sponsoring goals

Player
Morrisey
Well the club has nothing to loose by having this option to sponsor a goal. Even if only a few people take to it then they have made some money!

RIP:John Kerr:RIP

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Ian said:
I don't think you can blame the club for trying to create extra income. In fact, there's a few of us on here that are trying to get a sponsorship deal through for next season, but hitting that donate button would certainly help!

Good point Ian, and I will be donating this week.

DixieDean

If Lorraine gets a total of say £1000 per goal, then that's actually a good incentive for any manager to encourage his team to play creative football. The more they score the more money potentially becomes available.

It's actually not a bad idea. Although perhaps they could try marketing if differently:

How about if they promised the chance of you winning £100 every time we score a goal?
All you have to do is sign up for "sponsor a goal" and for every £1 you put forward you get 1 ticket which goes into the "sponsor a goal draw". Every time a goal is scored, a draw is made and the winner gets credited with £100. If there are 1000 people taking part in this, the club would get £900 a goal and 1 lucky supporter would get £100 EVERY TIME A GOAL IS SCORED!

Hmm. Anyone think I should contact Lorraine?

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
DixieDean said:
Hmm. Anyone think I should contact Lorraine?

She's probably still on holidays Dixie :lol: :lol:

S

slawlane

LOL Tranmere Do find pathestic attempts to raise money, I went to Bradford when they introduced the half time cheerleaders, now that was a truely splendid idea, however sponsoring a goal is as lame as "get your name on a brick", oh and lorraine is on holiday as we speak she's in talks with mickey mouse in Florida.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't understand why every is slating the commerical side of things. If it manages to raise extra revenue, is that not a good thing?

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I was just slagging the whole inventivness mate. I'm all for anything that will raise money for the club.

Player
John Aldridge
What a great idea to have a prize draw included in the sponsor a goal idea. I bet the club would raise more money that way. More supporters would be prepared to part with their hard earned money if they were getting something more than a name in the next programme. Of course you could always take a pen to the match and write your own name in the matchday programme. Would it be worth contacting someone connected with the commercial side of the club with the prize draw idea? As there's 3 entry levels I guess you'd need 3 prize amounts, or maybe set 1 entry fee at say £5

DixieDean

Phantom of Prenton said:
What a great idea to have a prize draw included in the sponsor a goal idea. I bet the club would raise more money that way. More supporters would be prepared to part with their hard earned money if they were getting something more than a name in the next programme. Of course you could always take a pen to the match and write your own name in the matchday programme. Would it be worth contacting someone connected with the commercial side of the club with the prize draw idea? As there's 3 entry levels I guess you'd need 3 prize amounts, or maybe set 1 entry fee at say £5

you just replace the 3 entry levels with X amount of £1 entries.
So someone could give £3 a goal and get 3 chances in each draw or £10 a goal and get 10 entries in each draw etc etc.
I have actually emailed the commercial department with my idea and examples of how it would work. I think they'd be daft not to think about it because as it stands I can't imagine many people taking them up on it.

DixieDean

if you think about it, all it needs is a bit of decent marketing (combined with the Prize Draw idea) and they'd do well with it.

Imagine if they got every season ticket holder to sponsor each goal for £1.

How many season ticket holders do we have? 4,000?

So every time a goal is scored, the club would get £3500 and 1 lucky supporter would get £400 (which more than pays for their season ticket - in most cases anyway!).

If we only score 50 goals next season, the club would make £175,000 and 50 lucky supporters would have had a very nice payout. (some lucky people may even win more than 1 draw).

The Sponsor a Goal Prize Draw. It's the future. You know it makes sense.

And remember where you read it first.....

Just had another thought....
They could replace the prize money with a FREE SEASON TICKET. Either by paying you the money back for you current one, or by giving you a season ticket for next season in the seat of your choice. Hey, this idea just keeps growing.....

Think i'm in the wrong career....

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
DixieDean said:
Think i'm in the wrong career....

Ladies & Gentlemen, can I introduce you to the new Commercial Marketing Director for Tranmere Rovers, Mr Dixie Dean.

Kepp the ideas coming mate, and keep emailing them to the club. Something will get through eventually.

=D> =D> =D>

Player
John Aldridge
You certainly are in the wrong job.

Dixie for Prime Minister!!!

I certainly hope they'll take your idea and use it, but knowing this club nothing is ever that simple. There's always some sort of red tape.

Any other ideas how to create extra revenue?

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
The main problem with the idea is getting the £ back from people who have pledged it. We all know from back in schooldays when you did sponsored things quite often someone who sponsored you £1 per whatever is quite surprised to hear you'd done 25 of them and suddenly is nowhere to be found until after the submission deadline.

Chasing up £1 sponsors would never be worth anyone's while, as to employ an agency to chase them up would cost a lot to do, and safe in that knowledge lots of people may pledge money they never intend to pay in. Cynical yes, but these are the facts of life.

DixieDean

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
The main problem with the idea is getting the £ back from people who have pledged it. We all know from back in schooldays when you did sponsored things quite often someone who sponsored you £1 per whatever is quite surprised to hear you'd done 25 of them and suddenly is nowhere to be found until after the submission deadline.

Chasing up £1 sponsors would never be worth anyone's while, as to employ an agency to chase them up would cost a lot to do, and safe in that knowledge lots of people may pledge money they never intend to pay in. Cynical yes, but these are the facts of life.

you not heard of direct debit or standing order mate? i know you are clocking on a bit NBDH but i didnt realise you were that far behind the times... lol. :lol:

It would be a pointless exercise without using direct debit or something similar, and I'm sure the club wouldn't even consider it unless they were sure of getting the money.

Hey NBDH, I don't suppose you've seen those new fangled contraptions that are hogging our roads these days. I think they call them automobiles or something. Anyway, It'll never catch on.... :-D

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
I think it's a good idea to get money, it may sound daft sponsoring goals and what not, but if it brings the club a few extra pennies by all means go with it.