• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two AFC Wimbledon (4) v Rovers (1)

Match result

• AFC Wimbledon

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AFC Wimbledon (4) v Rovers (1)
Posted by Ian
Cherry Red Records Stadium
Saturday, September 30, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 30, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
It came home to me yesterday when a radio station referred to us as "managerless Tranmere". Because we do not apparently seem to be actively looking for a new manager, I had momentarily forgotten Adkins is only actually interim. The next two games are pivotal. Fail to win them and and it'll be clear that Adkins isn't the answer either. Surely things are going on behind the scenes to bring someone else in ??

I cannot begin to explain how faulty the highlighted bit is but it probably sums the modern day fan. King failed to gain an away game for over a season in his first tenure and made no progress in six months in his second term. Was he not an answer?
Herbert Chapman after leaving all conquering Huddersfield, claimed it would take five years to sort Arsenal out. He bought big and year four was the lowest finishing position. He won the league in year five and they became all conquering.
What you are currently seeing is a bodging up job with a squad consisting of other people's mistakes. Very suspicious that last year's recruitment was all the whims of a novice in Vaughan. Dawes made some big decisions made all the odder by his use of players.
For every Bristow (who I never really rated) and the growing Hawkes (best game yet yesterday), we have signed 5/6 non-league destined players.
Nigel looks on a different planet to Dawes and I am suspecting is a class above Mellon. Results may not come for some time yet, trouble is the scouts are reporting on our new style and counter tactics are appearing. Flattening our light weight forwards seem the most obvious one and sadly Dennis as suspected is useless outside of the box. Choosing to play him wide and letting Hemmings go to a higher division look even odder now.
Get Norris back and maybe a different story, plus defensive corners will be less of a threat

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Looking back at the highlights this morning, the defending for their goals is pretty poor. Why is our defence letting us down now when it's usually been quite solid in the past? Change of tactics, manager, confidence low?
The back four was barely unchanged and now the full back positions are like revolving doors. Walker the guard went off then the sending off put Morris back. Different day could have been 2-2

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
For every Bristow (who I never really rated)
You're prepared to give managers time but not players? The guy was young, learning his trade and we only had him for one season. We are badly missing the pace of Bristow and Cogley too. Pike is OK but not pacey and well, we have Turnbull on the other side. Is Leake back soon?

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
You're prepared to give managers time but not players? The guy was young, learning his trade and we only had him for one season. We are badly missing the pace of Bristow and Cogley too. Pike is OK but not pacey and well, we have Turnbull on the other side. Is Leake back soon?
Don't see much potential in him. His positional play was awful, after all those years of coaching. His crosses were lashed across without any thought. If we got six figures, good business. Managers need time to build a squad, different skill set

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Bristow is an excellent player. His crosses were not 'lashed' at all, and if we had had Norris / Dennis / Jennings in the squad last season his record of assists would have been superb. The same with Cogley on the other side.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Looking back at the highlights this morning, the defending for their goals is pretty poor. Why is our defence letting us down now when it's usually been quite solid in the past? Change of tactics, manager, confidence low?
I do think that the solidity of the back four stems from the loss of the two full backs in the summer. They played together for the majority of the season and it clearly worked with a few acceptable exceptions. The partnership between the back four were dependable. MM certainly knew how to set up a defence and we have not seen the cohesion and the dependency on having a stable set up. Changing formation to 4-3-3, is also there. Lack of experience with the new full backs, the number of changes in the full back area. Probably other reasons particularly through midfield, confidence when losing a goal.
With the formation, when we lose possession, there could be upwards of three players in front of the ball if not four of five! Which means Any team will be vulnerable from a turnover, quick attack and if the central midfield isn't quick enough or good enough, it will be too easy to be porous in defence!
Not having a reliable fit target man, as an out or to get relief from pressure. To bring others up the pitch change defence into attack, play in the opposition half. To create more.Control the game.
Get back to football basics!

Player
Manager
John King
Having watched the replay of the game, aside from a bright opening ten minutes I thought we were crap to be honest, not really any better than the games under Dawes.

I think the midfield is the biggest problem. We are too easy to play through, with no protection for the defence, and I think that reflects both tactics and personnel, with Walker too immobile and unfit to effectively shield the back four, certainly away from home.

If anything, in this game and at Crawley I think we were too open and adventurous early in the match. I think we need to sit in and try and stifle the opposition for the first twenty minutes away from home, rather than inviting pressure on an already fragile defence.

Player
Aldo
Having watched the replay of the game, aside from a bright opening ten minutes I thought we were crap to be honest, not really any better than the games under Dawes.

I think the midfield is the biggest problem. We are too easy to play through, with no protection for the defence, and I think that reflects both tactics and personnel, with Walker too immobile and unfit to effectively shield the back four, certainly away from home.

If anything, in this game and at Crawley I think we were too open and adventurous early in the match. I think we need to sit in and try and stifle the opposition for the first twenty minutes away from home, rather than inviting pressure on an already fragile defence.
While I agree that the midfileld are too easy to play through I am not sure that we have the personel to sit in - I hope that I am wrong.

Player
Aldo
Thanks for the report MS. Only seen the goals and sending-off on the brief Sky highlights, was Adkins right to say we had a good start to the second half too? I didn't think that the Adkins post-match interview was that bad, he recognised that there were defensive issues with all of the goals conceded and that we didn't take the other chances we had, after a well-worked opener. What really matters is not what is said in the post=match presser, but whether Nigel can turn things around on the pitch.

I agree with what KH has said about the club losing it's soul and his and other posters thoughts on the lack of leaders in the current squad.

BBTC, I'm still undecided about whether the decision to sack Micky last March was in itself a mistake. He had apparently indicated that he wouldn't be staying on when his contract expired and Rovers were already as good as safe from relegation and with only a slim chance of making the play-offs then, so can see the logic of seeing if the existing squad could do better. Mistakes were made by moving the goal-posts and adopting the development model with a manager in post, whose success had been with a different approach to team-building, while if MM knew how we were going to recruit this season might have changed his views about moving on. Totally agree that appointing Dawes on a permanent basis was a major mistake.
I thought that we were bright for the first five mins or so of the secong, Nigel looks like he is telling the team to be positive and get at teams.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
While I agree that the midfileld are too easy to play through I am not sure that we have the personel to sit in - I hope that I am wrong.
I think we are capable of being solid if we play a 442 with two banks of four, and reduce the spaces between defence and midfield. Particularly if O'Connor comes back into midfield.

Player
Aldo
I think we are capable of being solid if we play a 442 with two banks of four, and reduce the spaces between defence and midfield. Particularly if O'Connor comes back into midfield.
You would need to get the flankers to track back (not always Josh's favourite pasttime). Lee would be a good call in CM , who would you play alongside him ? Who would you play as the two with Norris out ?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Bristow is an excellent player. His crosses were not 'lashed' at all, and if we had had Norris / Dennis / Jennings in the squad last season his record of assists would have been superb. The same with Cogley on the other side.
I agree. So many times Bristow galloped down the left side and put a great ball in between the defence and keeper and the likes of Hemmings and others were not in the right position for an easy tap in

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You would need to get the flankers to track back (not always Josh's favourite pasttime). Lee would be a good call in CM , who would you play alongside him ? Who would you play as the two with Norris out ?
I’d probably go with hendry alongside LOC if playing a central two. Or possibly Merrie and Hendry although both left footers

Up front with Norris out it would be Dennis probably alongside Jennings. Alternatively play Connor wide in a midfield 4 and someone like Jolley or even Lewis alongside Dennis just do some of the aerial donkey work albeit neither are great at it. However I think I’d play Connor alongside Dennis whilst Norris out and Morris and Hawkes on the wings. Especially when at home. Connor could then drop deep as a number 10 if needed

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think Jennings is all that great as an out and out striker but is extremely effective playing just behind. Get Dennis up there, keep him in the box and play Taylor or Saunders alongside him to make up for the lack of pace.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don't think Jennings is all that great as an out and out striker but is extremely effective playing just behind. Get Dennis up there, keep him in the box and play Taylor or Saunders alongside him to make up for the lack of pace.
Yes I’d prefer Jennings playing deeper as he can pick a pass and is one our fittest players. It’s whether you want any sort of aerial threat alongside Dennis. Agree that Saunders and Dennis probably worth a go as they have their own attributes. One can score and one can run!!