• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Accy v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Bottom of the table Accy are next up for Rovers, fresh from a comprehensive defeat by Carlisle in the JPT watched by just 500 home fans.

Having played three of the top five teams in the opening weeks of the season, Saturday's game would seem to give us a great opportunity to record back to back victories. However, if that is to happen Rovers have to find the consistency which has so far been absent this season.

It sounds like Koumas will miss out again due to injury, and I believe Fonners has already gone away with Wales, which will mean a debut for Brezovan. Otherwise, I would expect the team to line up as they did against Morecambe, as I would imagine Rob will want to find some consistency in selection from now on. Although we have been most effective at home playing a 4-4-2, my preference would be to start with Richards behind Stockton in a 4-4-1-1 on Saturday.

There is a real possibility we will outnumber the home fans at the Crown Ground and this is a game we must certainly aim to win.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
From what I've read, Accrington haven't been as bad as their league position suggests and our previous cup encounters with Stanley have all been close run things. So no room for complacency.

Team selection is going to be interesting. Brezovan for the absent OFW is a given. If you buy a striker who's good on work-rate like Donnelly and consider how much better we were last weekend once we started playing two up, then I'm doubtful reverting back to a 4-4-1-1 is the way forward. Elsewhere, Baggie withdrew from international duty because of a problem, which might render him unavailable for selection. With Bruna binned off and Kirby offering little as a wide player, we may of necessity play a more compressed formation. I would still like Gill/Woodards to feature as a defensive midfielder. Donacien did little wrong on debut, as an unchanged back four is likely.

The weather forecast isn't too bad for Saturday, so we may get a fair turnout of fans for an afternoon on the open terrace. Around 900 would likely see us outnumbering the home crowd as RLC suggests. 1-1 draw.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think they will be one of the poorer teams this season and will struggle to stay up going for an away win 2 1

Player
Manager
John King
If you buy a striker who's good on work-rate like Donnelly and consider how much better we were last weekend once we started playing two up, then I'm doubtful reverting back to a 4-4-1-1 is the way forward.

At Prenton Park I would agree with you, but the 4-4-1-1 with Richards in the hole worked well at Wycombe and even in the home game against Cheltenham to an extent. I think Richards deserves the opportunity to play centrally and there is more space for him to exploit away from home.

I am actually quite enthusiastic about the Donnelly signing, but I think he might be used as an impact sub initially.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I like Richards as a player and feel he's been a bit unlucky deployed mostly like a winger, when he seems best playing in and around the box. However my feeling is Donnelly will start.

Player
Backayogo
What a disgrace. What is going on here? I think it's quite obvious that it is the defence which is the problem. It is really is not good enough that we are losing like this. The Manager needs to make heads roll and sort this out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Taking the lead and then losing to two late strikes. Horrible pattern emerging here..

Player
Manager
John King
A depressingly familiar story. While it was not a great performance today, we were controlling the game in the second half with fifteen minutes remaining and should have been able to comfortably see the game out against spirited, but limited opposition. As it was, we committed suicide once again with five minutes of truly horrible defensive play.

The first half was patchy. We started really brightly, with crisp inventive passing, Cole and Richards both looking sharp. In the first fifteen minutes we had a few presentable chances and Accrington's penalty came against the run of play, resulting from a rash tackle by Ihiekwe, who had a shaky first period. Following the goal we gradually lost our way, hitting too many long balls, leaving Cole too isolated and losing too many 50:50s. That said, Accrington had barely threatened our goal and I still felt we were unlucky to be behind at the break.

A response was needed in the second half, and we got one. Richards, who had started on the left hand side (a tactic which once again did not work) was moved centrally in a 4-4-2 and we gradually took a grip of the game. We had a number of good moves which broke down on the edge of the box or resulted in half chances before Baggie's brace, both cleverly created and well taken goals. Then manager and players decided to chuck all our good work away.

Accrington inevitably threw men forward to try and get an equaliser, but I thought our double substitution was a tactical error. As against Shrewsbury and Cheltenham (remember what happened in those games ?), Richards was replaced for an extra midfielder and Cole was left on his own up front. Whereas we had looked quite comfortable, this change invited Accrington on to us and, once they equalised, left us with no real way of getting back on the front foot. In addition, the changes were made immediately prior to a set play, which they equalised from, and seemed to contribute to the defensive confusion which led to the goal. Their winner resulted from a cross which Brezovan dropped at the feet of the oncoming striker, when he should either have held the cross or palmed it away for a corner.

Why do we keep chucking leads away ?

I think the problem is partly the tactical errors of the manager, who tries to shut up shop the instant we take the lead in a game, whereas we should simply keep doing the things that got us in front in the first place. In addition to this, we are a very young and in some respects naive side: we don't seem to have the know-how to see games through and lack the physical presence that may be necessary at this level when teams start chucking the ball into our box, as Accrington did in the closing stages today. Finally, we lack a defensive midfielder: Laird is supposed to play this role, but does not do so effectively and it was noticeable that he was the nearest man to the ball when Accy put the crosses in for their second and third goals today, but failed to apply enough pressure on the deliverer.

Fair play to Accy, who have a great team ethic and work incredibly hard for their manager, but we have better quality and should never lose a game against limited opposition in the manner we did today.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I still haven't seen us win away since Stockport and feel frustrated and a little angry after today.

Rovers started brightly, Stockton set up Richards for a chance put wide, but then we conceded an early penalty. It was at the opposite end, didn't see it clearly, but haven't heard any complaints. It's been reported that Janacien rather than Ihiekwe was the culprit. After that Stockton had a half-chance, but that was it from Rovers as an attacking force first half, until Holmes failed to capitalise on a quick free-kick just before the break. We'd also had an idiot chucking a fire-cracker onto the pitch and a couple of flares lit in the away end, no compensation for the poor quality fare on the pitch. As about the sixth ball sailed out of the ground, a fan observed it was no wonder Accrington were skint, wasting so many balls.

Things started better second half and Baggie sprung their offside trap twice, the first after a good ball from Max. There was then a spell of end to end football, where Rovers were having the better of the game. Inexplicably, RE decided to make two substitutions at this point. Partially to calm things down it seems from post-match comments to explain Koumas' introduction. However, reverting to one up front caused us difficulties and if the manager does want to play that way it would make more sense replacing Cole, who can't function as a lone striker with Odejayi against a club he'd played for. As RLC comments, the timing of the subs was poor, with defending to be done and a combination of inadequacies in that and their player heading the ball exactly right saw them level. Four minutes later, a shot which Brezovan could only parry was tapped home for an Accrington winner. Despite Koumas hitting the bar in stoppage time, there was no way back for Rovers.

I agree with much of what RLC posts about the reasons for our failings. Laird is not a defensive midfielder and his failure to attack the ball was a key factor in conceding the third goal. I felt that there were a lot of problems stemming from the midfield failing to protect the back four today and yet the manager in the post-match comments seems to be pinning the blame on the defence, I'm not sure that we did try to shut up shop, having taken the lead, if he had, putting Gill on to offer some protection would have made sense.

MoM Baggie. Took his goals well. Apart from Hill, I can't think of many others who emerged from this game with much credit.

I'm unlikely to make another away until Wimbledon or Luton, so a chance for Rovers to get back to winning ways on their travels:eek:

Player
Nixon
I made the trip up with my lad and his little mate,

what a crap game and ground.

The pitch was very wet due to the lack of stands holding off the rain, so the tactic of balls over the top in to the channels was never going to work, as any ball with pace would just skip off.

The be all and end all of our losses are the formation:-

Richards
although I guess a decent player looks poor on the wing, after all the good reports from pre-season when he was central. I was looking forward to seeing this lad. I now seen him 4 times ...... not impressed (wrong position)
If I was a right back playing against him, I would be a happy man.
This causes Stockton to be so isolated, he ends up pissing in the wind against 2 defenders.

Laird
This guy is bloody crap. Poorest passer of the ball ever. Doesn't close down on the edge of the area, which leaves them all day to put a cross in. (putting pressure on the defence/keeper). A lot of goals/shots against us are from untracked midfielders.
Don't understand how this guy continues to be in the first team.

Rowe
A nice player, but often gets played on the left when RE decides the FORMATION isn't working again!!!! This sounds a good move until you understand Rowe is the most ONE-FOOTED player in our squad. So always has to cut back onto his right foot. Bread and butter for a defender to read and close him down.

Odejaye
Should have been brought on earlier against one of his old clubs.
Has no one noticed when he comes on we get more chances/goals. Not a perfect player by anymeans, but ideal for this league.

When your constantly putting square pegs in round holes :- Richards on the left, Rowe on the left, Laird in Lairdworld.

Sometimes when chasing a game, going route one to a big striker is far better than route 3-4-5 though a stack of square pegs. Poor opposition teams do this against and they are taking the 3 points.

Its going to be a long season..........

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It shows you just how far we've fell over the last few years. Losing to Accrington Stanley. :confused:

RE needs to wise up and be quick about it because the boo boys will soon be on his back. Doesn't look like he's learnt much over the last few weeks.

I thought we'd struggle to score goals this season, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The problem we have is at the other end!

I'd agree with MB above in regards to Odejayi. He's been a handful and has won a lot when he's come on, we should be using him more.

Player
Manager
John King
The reason we lost the game yesterday was not the absence of Odejayi - I don't agree with MB's comments regarding a direct game, as we always looked most dangerous yesterday when we played the ball on the ground and I support the development of a passing style - but the needless change of formation when we were 2-1 up.

The substitution of Koumas for Rowe was like for like and was justified as Rowe was having a poor game. It was the replacement of Richards with Kirby that was the problem, as we lost a player who was a constant threat in behind in the second half with Kirby, who offers very little going forward. Even at the rudimentary level of football I have played at, I know that withdrawing an attacking player when you are ahead is often a dangerous tactic as it frees up one of the opposing players to bomb forward and invites pressure. We have done this when ahead three times under Edwards, and lost all three games.

I was slightly concerned by Rob's comments after the game. He suggested that we either develop youngsters for the long term or look for short term results. I don't think it is an 'either or' situation. I completely support the policy of developing young players, but seven or eight of the starting eleven yesterday were youngsters and that is probably too many away from home at this level. The presence of a couple more experienced heads might have won us the game yesterday and would have benefited the young players around them.

There is a lot of enthusiasm around the club at the moment, with away support significantly up on recent seasons, and I think Rob has to realise we can't afford to lose the goodwill of the supporters with inept displays like the final fifteen minutes yesterday.

Last edited:

drwhoman

As someone who rarely gets to games I do enjoy some of the informative insights in the blogs lodged here. I think RLC's last comment is right or else we will start to have serious doubts about RE. The Manager is so important. Admittedly he has not been helped by the events of last season but it is interesting to reflect that Burton are now top of the Division. They won 2-0 yesterday with goals from two familiar names - McGurk and Akins. Let us hope that given time RE can take us there!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've not seen them yet drwhoman, but the Akins goal was a screamer apparently.

Rob Edwards is in a difficult position. He was given one agenda by Butler, who appointed him for PJ, which I guess was consolidation and try and develop players to sell on, but then Palios comes in. Has that agenda altered significantly; I suspect probably not. However MP didn't appoint Edwards an and might be less patient than the previous regime. RE remarks post-match suggested he didn't know where he stands on 'targets' for this season; if that really is the case then the chairman should clarify.

I'm of the view that if they're good enough, they're old enough. One of the players who let us down the most yesterday was Laird, who was one of the more experienced on the pitch. There was an argument for Holness to start and Gill and Odejayi to get some match time, but it's hard to feel confident that would have made the difference. Introducing a more experienced player in Koumas to calm things didn't really work.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Regardless of the inclusion of youngsters, I still think the collapses in three of our six games this season were avoidable with better management. The replacement of Koumas for Rowe might have had a positive impact yesterday, had it not been for the withdrawal of Richards and the change in the shape of the team. If Gill is the only natural defensive midfielder at the club he should be getting more time on the pitch.

I think the manager has to realise that youth development does not mean treating senior matches like academy games, where results are unimportant (I am not certain he does believe this, but his comments yesterday gave me some reason for doubt). A certain number of results have to be ground out to meet the minimum expectations of supporters and owner.

I would actually expect that unless we are threatened with another relegation Edwards will be in situ for at least twelve months. I will support him regardless of who and how he plays, but if the first six games are anything to go by it will be a frustrating watch.

drwhoman

Thanks for this Boz. Following on from all the comments above I just wonder how much confidence RE has in his team. To be winning away against the bottom club and then to effectively take your foot off the pedal by withdrawing an attacker does not send the right message to the team surely? Should you not go for the 'killer' third goal? Very few people on this blog have much time for Kirby and yet he is introduced? Many of the people here have, like me, have supported Rovers for many years ( fifty years in my case - Peter O'Farrell as player-manager is my earliest recollection!), so there is a pretty good sense as to who contributes well to the team and who does not. I am sorry if it appears that I am having a pop at Kirby but what does the Manager see in him that the contributors to this blog do not? It makes you wonder. I can only assume that Gill does not get more time as he may not be fully fit given his age and injury history. If so, why was he signed other than that he is a past colleague of the Manager? I thought he was to provide some coaching support but Russell has now been employed to provide this. No doubt someone will have a clearer view on this than me. Again, this is not an anti Gill comment but is really reflective as to my uncertainty regarding Edwards expertise.
Since writing this I have read RLC's latest comments - I agree with the last one in particular!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I fear that am also in agreement with RLC's closing comment.

Gill's lack of game time is a puzzle. He was apparently ready to come on v Cheltenham, then Rob changed his mind and if he'd come on yesterday, could have broken up the play and protected the back four more. I think he was primarily recruited to develop his coaching career, but I hadn't reckoned we'd see so little of him on the pitch. RE is repeating Ronnie's mistake of last season; we desperately need a defensive midfielder.
Kirby...who knows, but Ronnie McMahon and now Edwards have all played him, so there must be something there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The Kirby situation baffles me, I just can't see what he brings to the team. Anyway, I think RE has come in at a really bad time. Whether he's learning by the week or not, the board will start getting itchy feet if we are in the bottom half of the table in a few months. It's not just another relegation his time round, we are dropping out of the league. I don't think it will come to this but I don't think the board would be willing to take the risk.

Agree with all the comments above.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This result was a real disappointment. Early days of course so the table has little meaning but Accrington had taken 1 point from their first 15 so their confidence cannot have been great. For us to be leading with 15 mins to go and to end up losing is pretty bad.

It seems one step forward and then one step back at the moment. RLC makes a good point regarding the goodwill of the supporters. A feel good factor has certainly been around the club and how many sides just relegated can say that? I think most supporters are level headed and expected a season of transition with all the comings and goings, but it is more the manner of some of the defeats that raise question marks about REs leadership/tactical nous - and will continue to do if things don't improve.

Again still early days but you wonder about the fact that many assistant managers do well until they step up to be a manager and it doesnt work out. Of course many do step up and do well i.e. Ronnie but early signs whilst not disastrous, are hardly encouraging.

A side note on Kirby - I am not a fan at all. He has had plenty of opportunities and offered very little. He might do well in training etc but its on a Saturday that matters. A loan spell at Chester or Vauxhalls might do him good but unlikely. I won't harp on (again) at my real frustration that we gave him a 3 year deal....

drwhoman

I see Matt Gill is now the Asst Manager! Not sure what is going on. There seem to lots of chiefs now but we could really do with some capable Indians!