• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

A quarter of the season gone...

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
If the season ended now who would you keep and who would you release out of our current squad? I’ll just name the ones who have been in our squad of 16 most weeks and say who I’d keep and release. It will be interesting to see at the end of the season whether opinions change on any players.

Gavin Ward – Keep. I think Gavin has been impressive so far this season and apart from that one mistake against Huddersfield hasn’t really put a foot wrong… he’s even scored a goal. I think he’d easily have another season in him.

John Achterberg – Keep. Obviously we haven’t seen John play much since coming back from his long term injury but I’d like to think he can still do the business and like Ward he’d have another season in him… It’s just whether he’d want to stay as our number 2 as so far this season he doesn’t look like dislodging Ward from between the sticks.

Robbie Stockdale – Keep. Robbie has been improving this season and seems fairly solid at right back. Not forgetting this is the first time in a while he has had a decent run of games due to his injuries at other clubs. I think there is more to come.

Ian Goodison – Keep. What can you say about Ian this season at centre back… a complete contrast to when he was being played at left back. He’s been consistently good this season and you’d have to keep him in hope he will re-produce this form next season.

Chris McCready – Keep. We can all suddenly see how good he actually is in defence. He has a good partnership with Goodison and since he went off against Huddersfield we haven’t been the same at the back. As long as he isn’t injury prone he is a certain keep.

Shane Sherriff – Keep. At the moment I’d keep him but he hasn’t been as convincing as McCready in his favoured centre back slot, although he has only had a game and a bit there. I think as a left back I’d keep him.

Carl Tremarco – Keep. Carl is still young and claims he is still learning a lot about his position. I think he may turn into our next Gareth Roberts but still has a bit to learn.

Chris Shuker – Keep. Frustrating at times but for his moments of brilliance he is a certain keep. I think he will be even better when he scores his first goal of the season. Frustrating in that he needs to be less greedy at times and needs to build his strength.

John Mullin – Keep. I think Mullin has done well in the centre so far. Scoring 3 goals. It’s nice to have an attacking midfielder for once.

Paul McLaren – Keep. In my opinion a lot of Paul’s work goes unnoticed in the centre and I think Mullin is a much better player when he plays alongside Paul too. I think he was missed at Bradford.

Jason McAteer – Release. I think although Jason still has a good passing range his legs have gone. I think he is committed though and hope he does well in the coaching side of things.

Steve Jennings – Keep. I think a lot of people on here may disagree but I think given a chance in the side he may do well once he gets some confidence. He certainly needs a run in the first team though.

Danny Harrison – Release. I personally don’t think Danny is good enough for this level.

Kevin Ellison – Release. At this point in time I’m disappointed with Kevin. I think he could be a much better player. This is one where maybe and hopefully my opinion will change but at this moment even with his 2 goals he hasn’t done enough to convince me. Especially after we paid a fee for him.

Chris Greenacre – Keep. Get him on a longer contract now. He will always score goals and could have had more than his 4 goals so far with a bit more luck. A natural finisher and those are hard to come by.

Gareth Taylor – Keep. Although Gareth only has 2 goals to his name so far I think he does a lot of unnoticed work when he comes back to defend corners. He also gives defenders a lot of problems, which helps Greenacre as they aren’t just focused on him.

Calvin Zola – Keep. If Ronnie says he has the potential to become a good player then he has to be given a chance to show that. He has 2 goals so far but is hampered with injury a lot of the time. If he can shrug off those niggles and show his potential then he should be kept.

Steve Davies – Keep. A young striker who is still learning and needs to be given time and a chance to show his potential. If Ronnie can guide him then he could turn out to be a top striker and another good product of our youth system.

Now what does everyone else think? At the end of the season we can look back and see if anyone has changed their opinions

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There are a lot of players who I'd reserve judgement on a while longer. Into that category go Ellison, McLaren, Davies, Zola & Taylor.

Personally I rate Danny Harrison more than Steve Jennings, he is capable of scoring the odd goal and was going through a purple patch last season, when BL opted to pick Jennings, who did not impress. I'm not saying that am convinced that either of them can cut it a league up though.

McAteer & Goodison, despite his decent form this far, both fall into the getting past it stage. If they play (or continue to play in Ian's case) really well then maybe another deal.

Player
Morrisey
Goodison yes. Macca could be kept on as a coach and just be there if he is needed in the case of an emergency, like Nixon did.

DixieDean

Realistically it depends if we go up or not. If the season ended now, we 'd be in the play-offs. If we stay down I'd probably keep most of them. If we went up I'd probably only keep 3 or 4 as most of them won't cut it in the Championship.