• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Wycombe 2 Rovers 1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There is something fundamentally wrong here. History repeating itself. Five points off Yeovil who sit just below us and seven from the drop zone. You simply can't afford to give these leads away to the team sitting rock bottom of the league! What a great start we made. How many times have we thought, great, we won't chuck this away and then we do.

Same old story it seems. Poor defending, plenty of chances, goal-line clearances, hitting the woodwork, disallowed goals etc etc.. We need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net. And we know that's not going to happen.

Did anyone go? Would be interesting to hear how we did after the goal. Trying to defend the lead so early on? I believe the second half was more enterprising in terms of chances but like Derek says, you get nothing for hitting the post.

Les has got a real fight on his hands now. We are sinking fast.

Seven points from the last thirteen league games. #-o

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's starting to feel like our last relegation season, though without the consolation of a Cup run. I don't remember many hammerings from that, but there were times when we took and surrendered a lead or the luck didn't go with us; a streaky deflected losing goal at home to Norwich as good as sealed our fate.

I'd like to know why we didn't start with a similar formation to the way we finished v Udders. Subs; when we're trailing at h/t why not replace Devaney with Lateef as a more attacking option than Weir? Why the like-for-like striker sub, rather than play Brunt with Tiryaki?

I doubt if PJ were to remove Les we would get anyone other than the current backroom staff and there are no signs they would do anything different. From our failure to make much headway in the loan market, it seems there is no pot of gold available to recruit a new manager. Like it or not, looks like we're stuck with Les:-k

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just got back after a 6 hour drive in nightmare conditions, and I am still seething. Dismal performance and an unacceptable result against mediocre opposition.

Huddersfield was clearly a one-off as today normal service was resumed. Score a goal after five minutes, then an attempt to defend on the edge of our own 18 yard box for the next forty. No attempt to string two passes together. Inept tactics with a striker 50 yards from the rest of the team. Possession gifted to a poor side who grew in confidence, played better football than us and exposed our defensive frailties through simple passing, movement and wide play of which we are completely incapable. Defence had a nightmare in the first half, particularly McChrystal.

After half time we showed some spirit, pushed men forward and created some chances which we should have scored from. But so what ? We should never have been desperately chasing the game against a bad side in a match we couldn't afford to lose - and all after taking the lead after five minutes !

Substitutions were laughable in my view. Devaney was dreadful in the first half and had to go off, but our problem was a lack of support for Mustafa. So what does Les do ? Stick Weir on as a conventional midfielder leaving Tiryaki even more isolated. With twenty minutes to go as we pressed for an equaliser, Brunt is brought on, not as support for Tiryaki, but in a like for like substitution. Mustafa had done little wrong apart from suffer from a total lack of support and service as usual, yet gets the hook, with an untested teenager given the responsibility of leading the line against two centre backs in a game we were desperate to get a result in. Brunt actually did ok - but suffered the same total lack of support and supply that Tiryaki had for the previous 70 minutes.

Sick of the same tactical ineptitude week after week and the same lame excuses being trotted out after every game. One win in sixteen is not acceptable under any circumstances.

Where do we go from here ?

Do we simply cross our fingers, bemoan bad luck and injuries and hope something turns up before May ? Or do we take action, however risky, in the hope of preserving our League One status ? I for one, think we are destined for relegation, as no matter what the opposition, we are simply incapable of picking up the necessary results the way we are playing at present. I have seen nothing in recent weeks that suggests that Les has the know-how to get us out of this slump.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks for posting RLC, I'd imagine you'll have been sleeping at the keyboard posting this! Seems like Les is devoid of any ideas then. Quite what makes him think playing like we have done today will be any different than the other clueless defeats is beyond me. I was actually hopeful he would play a more attacking squad today, sadly I was wrong. Is he out of ideas?

If he continues to play in this way, we'll be in big trouble. What was the reaction of the SWA today during the game and after it?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ian, i think were in big trouble now. I cannot see where the next win is coming from and if nothing is done to change the manager we will go down.

The tactics and formation are awful and predictable we now cant keep hold of a lead and we never come from behind and win he has simply got to go now.

drwhoman

WYCOMBE

I have always been a big supporter of Les. A great servant of the club trying to do his best with no money. However, like everyone else here it seems, I am losing faith in him. It would appear that he lacks not only tactical nouse but an ability to rouse the team. As others have said, it is the same every week. I would imagine that the players have lost all confidence and relegation certainly beckons. While it may be unfair I really wonder if PJ cares? After all Div 2 as opposed to Div 1 will not make any real difference to his ability to sell out. He will get widgets either way and be faced with a big write off on his original investment. It would seem that he has been holding the line on what he is prepared to lose for several years. This does nothing for the club, the players or the fans. No wonder the gates are what they are given that we are constantly in a relegation battle supporting a team with a small squad with an even smaller number of quality players. In such circumstances we really need a probably young go-getter looking to make his name with a view to moving up the league in time. Someone who is not looking for big money but a chance to show his paces. The problem,as always, is who!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC, though it makes grim reading. I'd hoped to get to this game, but wasn't able to stop over with friends, so didn't. Haven't been to any aways this season and although Walsall and Rochdale are possibles, on what you and others have said on the topic, not sure I'll bother!

With regard to Drwhoman's point, the question of a new boss only becomes an issue when Les walks or PJ gives him the boot. The former is highly unlikely and there has been little sign of the latter.

Player
Manager
John King
Having calmed down a bit and watched the highlights, Lateef's disallowed goal looked decidedly onside. But I still wouldn't change my basic argument that our approach to the game was all wrong.

Regarding the management position, I would agree that nothing is likely to happen before the end of the season. As has been commented, the only realistic proposition is Summerfield and McMahon remaining as caretakers until May, which doesn't fill me with enthusiasm. McMahon has had one stint as caretaker before which was unsuccessful.

As I said, maybe something will turn up......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I also watched the highlights today and we had a real good go at their goal in the second half. The damage had already been done though and it's left to a mad scramble with 10 minutes to go. How many times have we seen that?

Like Les said, we should never have been 2 down at half time. Sound like a broken record.

On a positive note, McGurk scored an excellent goal :smile:

DIW

Player
Goodison
I also watched the highlights today and we had a real good go at their goal in the second half. The damage had already been done though and it's left to a mad scramble with 10 minutes to go. How many times have we seen that?

Like Les said, we should never have been 2 down at half time. Sound like a broken record.

As you say Ian, this is nothing new and could be applied to loads of games this season. Lateefs goal looked a close call, but ion fairness the linesman was right in position and could see better than the highlights showed. It's just typical though isn't it. It's about time we got some points from a game when we don't deserve to.

Player
Manager
John King
On a positive note, McGurk scored an excellent goal

McGurk played well and would be my man of the match actually. Put in several good deliveries in addition to the goal, and seems to be playing with some confidence at the moment.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think we (and I am sure Les will be doing the same with the players), need to try and put a positive spin on things.

Against Hudds we played really well and should have won. The Wycombe game whilst losing from looking at the highlights we deserved to have got something from the game and did well in the 2nd half. Yes we should not have been put in that position but credit the lads for making a go of it.

That said we are on a terrible run but surely sooner or later, our luck will turn in front of goal.

As has been said, I think most people dont think anyone else could do much better in the circumstances, and, we are still approx 7 points away from the danger zone - and that albeit as I say, on a poor run, recent performances havent been too bad and realistically, our league position is roundabout where a club on our resources, with our injuries this season, should be.

Despite our form, IMO things will pick up to the required level and I don't think we need to worry about the bottom 4.

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
#parry out

1 win in 16
1 win since 29 October 2011
out of all cup competitions
havent come from behind to win a game for over 2 years
8 away defeats on the run
3 consecutive away games where we have taken the lead and still lost
fan numbers depleting to under 4000 per home game

Budget/injury apologising Parry happy clappers need not reply.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Don't be such a berk, this a forum. We can all have our say.

Have to say that Les is not making it easy for himself, or maybe the team are not helping him. All Robs stats are however accurate and make for grim reading. These three are the most concerning though.

haven't come from behind to win a game for over 2 years
8 away defeats on the run
3 consecutive away games where we have taken the lead and still lost

The first one in particular as it points towards a problem with lots if different players that is not resolved. 8 defeats away on the run is indeed crap and worrying that there isn't even 1 draw in there. Then the fact that we keep throwing leads away. Not just the last three away games but loads of other matches this season. 20 points from winning positions chucked away. I know the arguments about Les being on a budget etc and they are fair points but the squad of players he has there are not that bad. Personally I doubt that Les is able to motivate the team and suspect that they are lacking in respect for him. I would think that his lack of footballer experience may have something to do with this. I think if the run goes on for a couple more games then maybe something will have to give somewhere as we sliding desperately. Only possible solution for me (assuming there is no experienced manager out there who for some reason would want the job) would be to put Goodison in charge until the end of the season in the hope that he can motivate the squad to dig in for the rest of the year and stay up. I wouldn't want that monster bollocking me at half time for being crap would you?

I'm not saying this as a Parry out call, and I for one will not get involved in the unhelpful chanting and booing that is sure to come on Saturday - on the day get behind the team 100%. However I don't want to get relegated at the end of the season and think if only we'd tried something different because long time I suspect Les is finished anyway.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I honestly think we'd be helped a great deal by changing to 4-4-2.

At this stage Les needs to adapt or else. We clearly have a team that is capable of playing good football, because they have done it before.

Player
Liam Palmer
I'm a happy clapper and I'll have my say (this isn't the Huddersfield forum remember).

Putting Ian Goodison in charge would be very interesting. He never speaks. Never ever. The idea of him giving anyone a bollocking is so laughable its almost farcical. Imagine the scene in the dressing room: "C'mon boss, say something." Silence. "Anything!" More silence.

Stick with Les for now. Our luck must change. We played 442 in the second half on Saturday and could/should have scored three. A bit of confidence and this is a good enough team.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Its not down to luck we are on such a bad run its tactics and formations. Les is too stubborn to go 4-4-2 even though most people think he should give it a go.

He simply is not getting the best out of the current players he has at his disposal and has to go now. As for being 7 points off the bottom 4 that gap will close soon enough as teams below us have games in hand.

DIW

Player
Goodison
WTF does Les say? He just stands there with his arms crossed?

NB - you may have a valid point about Goodison and his silent approach though. Didn't really think that one through.
Is there a player who could step up? Doesn't look like it, and I was scrabbling around for a possible solution that wouldn't be expensive.

Yes - you would think that our luck should change but we've been saying that since October. Maybe it isn't luck?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Having Goodi as manager would be entertaining just hearing what he had to say in post match interviews! Would he bring Theo Whitmore in as assistant?!

I agree that Les should be given a bit longer but there are managers out there who arguably are better qualified than Les e.g. Paul Cook although going to Accrington, Liam Watson, Jimmy Harvey or even Mickey Mellon if Fleetwood don't go up.