• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Worrying attendance trend

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Posted on the main news page is an article regarding the dwindling attendances over the last few years.

Lorraine's on the investigation team. But can we do the investigating for her? What do you think are the reasons why and what to do to stop attendences falling.

Two seasons ago Rovers pulled in League One attendances averaging 9,044 as the team spent most of the campaign in third place.

The following season, when Tranmere struggled to fight off the threat of relegation, average attendances tumbled to 7,213.
Nearly 2000 supporters lost in a season! Why? Are the reasons obvious such as poor performances, poor league position etc..

Or are there other reasons why the supporters are staying away? Costs of games, other entertainment?? Have some of these supporters jumped ship over the road to watch premiership football?!?

Will these supporters be back or have we lost them for good?
Another season in division one next year, if we don't achieve promotion, what will the attendences drop too? 5/6000?

Our average att this season has been 6632. Falling well below the 7000 I expected it to be.

Player
Goodison
with the football weve been playing recently I wouldnt be surprised if the attendances fell. All we do is long ball - none of this attractive football we were promised when Moore arrived.

Also many fans stay away simply because of Lorraine Rogers. Simply in protest. If she left are attendances would probably go up abit....... (But we all know she wont leave)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Also many fans stay away simply because of Lorraine Rogers. Simply in protest. If she left are attendances would probably go up abit....... (But we all know she wont leave)

That's an interesting view. Do people really stay away from PP because of Lorraine? And why? ..

Player
Morrisey
To be honest I think we can salvage some decent attendances. The season will start and hopefully RM will have brought in some exciting signings. People will come to investigate and if we do well then I can see some fans staying. It all depends on us doing well for the first few games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
But worringly, as it mentions in the article, 9 new players at the start of the season, and the supporters didn't respond.

Rovers had hoped the appointment of a new manager with strong links to the club in Ronnie Moore, the arrival of nine new players and a flying start to this season would all help to push up attendance figures after the disappointments of 2005-06

Rogers said: “We were in the top six right the way through until Boxing Day this season yet gates did not respond.”

Although maybe there was still quite a bit of caution after last season.

DixieDean

Hi chaps,

I've just come back onto this site for the first times in months.
Since first becoming a season ticket holder (a few years ago) I am now married and have a young daughter, so I find that my money can be better spent elsewhere (than on a season ticket).
Last season, the uninspiring football put me off and I decided to invest my season ticket elsewhere last summer.

Now, if I have ?20 to spend on a saturday I would much rather spend it taking my wife & daughter out somewhere for the day than selfishly go to watch a boring game of footie. I've been 4/5 times this season and have had my pants bored off!!

Maybe when my daughter is old enough to come with me I may look at making my visits more frequent, but even then I will probably find myself weighing up the COST versus the ENTERTAINMENT factor.

Hope all the old regulars are still on here :)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nice to see you again Dixie!
I'm sure there's plenty more in the same boat. £20 for a game is a lot of money when you've got a family.

Maybe they need to reduce the admission prices across the board and reduce players' wages!

I think there's too major factors in dwindling attendences.

1. Cost of games
2. Entertainment factor

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought they'd stabilise around last season's figure to be honest.

Don't think there's been a single home game where we totally dominated the opposition, unless that happened today? A few seasons ago there were players of the calibre of Humey & Ryan Taylor in the side and you'd usually see some skill or a decent set piece. The only player approaching that level now is Shuker, tho' he's been a bit hit n miss.

Next season, if we get a good start and the quality of the football improves, maybe the numbers will go up.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
After finding out the deadline day for cheap season tickets had been extended, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I think season ticket sales may even be slower than last season.