• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Wolves

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Look certain to be relegated now. Bad news for the smaller clubs in League One next season as they will surely take one of the promotion places. We do, however, get our first trip to Molineux in over a decade.

Ronnie this week seemed to suggest that if they stayed up we had a chance of getting Cassidy back next season. Instead of which, he will probably be playing against us.

A strange day for Dean Saunders watching his old club pass him on their way up. I bet he wishes he had not moved now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Look certain to be relegated now. Bad news for the smaller clubs in League One next season as they will surely take one of the promotion places. We do, however, get our first trip to Molineux in over a decade.

A strange day for Dean Saunders watching his old club pass him on their way up. I bet he wishes he had not moved now.

I don't think that it's anywhere near a given that Wolves will go straight back up, if they do get relegated. Southampton and Leeds were both in L1 for a couple of years. Wolves will have the advantage that Saunders as manager, if he stays is familiar with L1 and Jake Cassidy, if he's given a regular start is well-capable of scoring at this level.

Bristol City have a reasonable fan base and a capable manager in Sean O'Driscoll and are as likely contenders for a quick return. Could probably do for a 'smaller' club like Barnsley/Peterborough to be the other ones to drop.

With Rotherham, who seem to have got a bit of money from somewhere coming into L1 from below, it, regardless of play-off winners it is looking like a tougher league than this year.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think that it's anywhere near a given that Wolves will go straight back up, if they do get relegated. Southampton and Leeds were both in L1 for a couple of years.

Don't forget that Southampton and Leeds both had major financial problems and points deductions to contend with when they came down. Wolves are not (yet) in that position and are still benefiting from enormous Premier League parachute payments.

A bigger problem for them may be the attitude of a lot of their experienced players on high wages, many of whom have apparently not looked interested this season. Trying to move those players on could be difficult.

I agree that the division as a whole looks stronger next season.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
I agree that the division as a whole looks stronger next season.

To be honest though, no one expected the league to be so weak this year, nailed on were the likes of cov, blunts, swindle, donny all to be up there, and yet there was us, yeovil, walsall, orient

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
To be honest though, no one expected the league to be so weak this year, nailed on were the likes of cov, blunts, swindle, donny all to be up there, and yet there was us, yeovil, walsall, orient

That's partially true. However, of the sides who came down last season, both Pompey and Coventry had major financial issues, while Donny had more squad building than the norm due to their unsuccessful 'shop window' approach of giving agent Willie Mckay's has beens short term deals. I don't expect any of the relegated sides this season to come with such baggage.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It reckons in the Telegraph that the wage bill of Wolves is £25 million and they dont have relegation clauses in their contracts, their going to have to offload the majority of the squad.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It reckons in the Telegraph that the wage bill of Wolves is £25 million and they dont have relegation clauses in their contracts, their going to have to offload the majority of the squad.
I bet Cassidy is one of the worst paid in the squad, so he'll be the last player to go, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong, but if so could we afford the fee and his wages?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I bet Cassidy is one of the worst paid in the squad, so he'll be the last player to go, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong, but if so could we afford the fee and his wages?

the likes of ebanks-blake doyle o'hara will be offloaded. No we couldnt afford the fee for cassidy let alone his wages.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko

if cass were available he wouldnt be short of takers either

Player
Manager
John King
I have just read that Wolves' parachute payments for the next three seasons are £16 million, £8 million and £8 million, despite their impending relegation. So in three years they will receive the equivalent of our wage budget for 21 seasons in parachute payments alone ! Just an indication of how insane finances are at the top end of English football now.

And I will bet some of our supporters will still be astonished when we finish below them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
and they will have gotten an even larger payment this season and still are going down so not the be all and end all especially if they continue to employ poor managers.

Player
Manager
John King
and they will have gotten an even larger payment this season and still are going down so not the be all and end all especially if they continue to employ poor managers.

Yes, but loads of Championship clubs receive parachute payments whereas precisely zero do in League One at present.

Correction: Portsmouth probably do, but they are pretty much irrelevant in their case given the scale of their financial problems.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
True but only 2 others will have received same amount as wolves and 3 from league 1 and a few others havent received any so it can be done.

Player
Manager
John King
True but only 2 others will have received same amount as wolves and 3 from league 1 and a few others havent received any so it can be done.

My point was that Wolves will have massively greater resources next season than any other club in League One in recent times (including Leeds, Norwich, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United....).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
they may well do but if steve morgan was to leave them they could be in some trouble. Lets just wait and see who goes and who they bring in before we worry about how good or not they will be.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
pretty startling figures

Player
Manager
John King
Wolves and Peterborough are relegated.

Most importantly, Bolton miss out on the play-offs on goal difference. O:)

drwhoman

I see Dean Saunders has been given the push, not that he had much chance having only been appointed in January. It must be very hard to impose your own style when faced with the realities of a relegation battle and a highly paid team that had no guts and did not deliver. He will feel pretty hard done by I am sure. The new man will have his own style and I am sure there will be a bit of a clear out. Getting shut of some of the overpaid ones will not be easy. Will be interesting to see what happens to Cassidy.