• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Wirral council sponsorship

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In a time of public spending cuts I suppose it was inevitable we would lose this deal. Financially, I don't think it will affect us much, as I am sure we can get a commercial sponsor, but I think it is a shame nevertheless as the 'Wirral' logo has been a big part of our community club image. It also reminds people we have our own history and identity and are not a third rate club from 'Liverpool'.

Typical though that they are cancelling this deal just as the club's fortunes are turning around.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
We go up, maybe we could pay the council for the priviledge of having wirral on the shirt still, a la barca? Only a token fee or summat, but at least we still have it on our shirt, though maybe not as the primary sponsor...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would be a shame to lose the sponsorship; not because of the funding as I'm sure we could raise equal money from another sponsor, but the joy of having where you come from emblazoned on your shirt. While I understand the difficulties due to cuts, it would be interesting to know(if it's possible to assess) the economic value the council has gained from this.

Meanwhile, is Hugh Foulerton cutlery still going...

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
longest running sponsorship in the football league system; im a bit sad actually.

the council have always defended the deal citing the work that the club do in the community, but it's always a thorny issue for residents and i guess with heavy cuts being made elsewhere they had no real option.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
longest running sponsorship in the football league system; im a bit sad actually.

the council have always defended the deal citing the work that the club do in the community, but it's always a thorny issue for residents and i guess with heavy cuts being made elsewhere they had no real option.
Agree 100%. It's a political decision, after all. Ihweewe can find newsonsorsnext season, no atter which division are in.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Have you been on the ale?
No, but my keyboard has. What I meant to say was "I hope we can find new sponsors next season, no matter which division we are in."

Personally, I'm amazed the deal has lasted so long. I don't blame WMBC. We should all just be grateful that they stood by us in the dark days.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, inevitable cuts sadly. Would be a big shame to lose the sponsorship though. 135k a year. I wonder how much of an impact it will have on them if and when they end it.

I'd love to have white review on the shirts. Can we all muster up 135k?

Player
Backayogo
I think the Council have done well to support us, it can't last forever. I actually think Cammel Lairds should sponsor us. Get the name out a bit more.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Don't think they're the type of company that would sponsor a football club tbh. Would be nice if it were a local business tho.