• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Whites v Super Whites

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A trip to The Crabble for Rovers and a match that will probably make or break the season.

In the reverse fixture at Prenton Park I thought Dover were the most awkward and at times cynical side we have faced this season, but it was easy to see why they have been so successful. They were very physical and completely by-passed midfield, but the attacking trio of Miller, Payne and Deverdics are a constant threat and as good as anything at this level. We really struggled to cope with them last time round and I almost think a game against FGR or Grimsby would suit us more on Saturday. We will have to play, and particularly defend, much better as a team than on Tuesday night to win this game.

I think GB has a few selection dilemmas. Hughes and Jennings did really well as a midfield pair against 'nicer' teams like Chester and Gateshead, but do we need the physical presence of Harris for this game ? At centre back, if McNulty is not available my preference would be to play Sutton against opposition like Dover, and a pairing of Ihiekwe and Riley does not fill me with confidence after the second half at Guiseley. Higdon will start, but I think Brabin must replace him after half time if he is not putting a shift in.

I am sure a fair number of exiles will make it to this one, in addition to a relative handful of fans travelling down on the day (or overnight, as in my case). I would guess there will probably be 200-250 SWA at this one.

As I have said previously, I think defeat effectively ends our season, while victory would give us a more than even chance of making the play-offs. Strange that a single game can be so pivotal.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't often say this, but it really is a must win - or the nearest to one we've had so far this season. With Braintree, Dover and Eastleigh all playing one of their games in hand next Tuesday and FGR waiting for us the following Saturday, if we lose both we could be in mid-table by then. However, if we win both we will be well placed. It's all very tight.

Thinking about the team selection and Dover's hoofball tactics (which presumably they also employ at home), I was wondering if a change of formation was justified. I'd have liked to try three centre-backs, but we only have two fit ones, so how about replacing Higdon with Harris and playing five in midfield with just Norwood up front. Harris and/or Jennings could play in front of the back four and Hughes and Mekki could support Norwood. We will need pace up front to put their defence under pressure and I think it will be difficult to bring Higdon into the game.

drwhoman

I would go with your team BBTC but will Garry? I am not a betting man but I doubt it!

Player
Manager
John King
Personally I would not start changing formations again at this stage of the season. Our best displays have come with a 442 and we just need to repeat the performance we had against Chester on Saturday, rather than the one against guiseley. Our biggest problem this season has been too much unnecessary tinkering and a lack of continuity.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
RLC, you could be right, but I don't think the team which finished the last game is capable of winning on Saturday. If we leave the formation as it is, I'd still bring in Harris to toughen up midfield and play someone more mobile and pacey than Higdon up front - say, Mekki or Margetts. It's all academic, as I think GB will probably keep the same team with Riley for McNulty.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be a big blow if McNulty is out. Must win this one.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think there is an argument to go 4-5-1, almost how we were before Higdon joined us when we were on a good run with Norwood on his own up front. I'm not sure he is suited to playing alongside a big man in a 4-4-2 (unless we get a penalty that is).

However I can't see GB dropping Higdon (even tho most SWA can see his performances overall haven't been great). So 4-5-1 may only come in to play if he plays Norwood on the left and a midfield three of Harris, Jenno & Hughes. I'd rather have Maynard though for Hughes in the middle for this particularly match. McNulty will be a massive loss and like others, I have little confidence that Riley & Ihikwe can keep out such a dangerous attack. Like RLC I would prefer Sutton and my team would be 4-5-1

Davies
Vaughan Ihikwe Sutton Ridehalgh
Mekki Harris Maynard Jenno Hughes
Norwood

But think Higdon will start and presumably Riley if we don't recall Sutton.

Prediction: 2-0 defeat I'm afraid.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Firstly our opponents. Their home form is patchy, recently thumped Gateshead but lost to Southport illustrates that. However their attacking trio of Miller, Payne and Deverdics mentioned by RLC pose a real danger. In the game at PP, they certainly didn't play 'hoofball' but mixed it up well with balls over the top and on the deck. While there was an element of fortune with their handball winner that day, they were denied a penalty and deserved the win given they largely controlled the game. Wonder if they'll waste as much time in their home fixture though.

As for Rovers, the first issue is whether to stick with a 442 or change formation to 451/4411. While there are undoubted attractions with the latter, GB has a reluctance to change things and I can't see beyond us starting 442.

The next question is personnel. McNulty is 50/50 for this one, throw in the long travelling distance, though the team are staying overnight, it seems unlikely he'll start. I read that we can't recall Sutton for 28 days-don't know the accuracy of that. Think Holness or Gumbs could be recalled, but that seems unlikely. Maynard, if available, Ridehalgh and Hill have all played in central defence, but it is Riley's principal position, so despite an inability to organise defences, he's the best we've got. I might also be tempted to replace Ridehalgh with Hill at left-back for this game, as though Liam offers much more going forward, he was a point of weakness defensively, which Guiseley targetted last Tuesday night.
Up front, Higdon will start regardless and Norwood with him. While I'd prefer to see Margetts for mobility or Stockton who's fitter, it's not going to happen. Just hope that Brabin is going to make use of the subs this time.
Midfield is probably the toughest call to make. In the second half at Guiseley, too much space was ceded to our opponents without a battle and all four of Tuesday's midfield should take the responsibility for that failing. Hughes/Harris in the centre of midfield is a difficult choice as while Jay offers a more physical option, he doesn't hold his position as well. Moving Hughes out to the left as Sparky suggests would be very hard on Jake Kirby, who was probably our best player on Tuesday. Mekki faded badly in midweek and for a relative youngster his fitness doesn't seem the best, but he may have a point to prove after an unsuccessful spell at Dover, so on balance I'd start him with Mackreth to come on at any sign of flagging.

I'd agree this game is pivotal and with defensive frailties, we're probably needing to score twice to get anything. While that's not beyond us, a season-ending 2-1 defeat is my prediction.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I totally forgot about Kirby. Not used to him starting a few games in a row!

He has to start on the left so I'd leave Hughes out unless Maynard is missing in which case put him in the middle with jay and Jenno.

But as Boz says, it's likely it'll be 4-4-2 with higdon and Norwood up top

Player
Liam Palmer
He'll start with the same 11 as last week as Big Mac is likely to be fit. There's still loads of football to be played so I don't think it's all over if we lose. Other teams around us will drop points too.

No idea about the result, if pushed I'd say a draw.

Player
Manager
John King
I would still stick to a 4-4-2. I might consider starting with Harris, but there is no way Maynard should be picked ahead of Jennings or Hughes on recent form.

While we have to cope with Dover's physicality, we don't want to get drawn into their way of playing; that will only end in defeat. Keep the ball on the floor and play with width and pace, as we have in the last few games. Funnily enough, I think this is the sort of game Higdon will actually relish and we might get a decent performance from him.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Heart and head both say we'll lose - perhaps 2-0. A win would rank alongside FGR and Cheltenham away as performance of the season.

Player
Manager
John King
Too close to call. They are capable of beating anybody at home, but we are in better form. A win would be more significant in the context of the season but would not surpass the Cheltenham and fgr victories in my view.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If they win this our chances of making the play offs are very slim really could do with a win but im going for 1 1 with mekki our scorer

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Listened to the first half on radio Kent. It sounds very one sided in favour of the home team. Sounds like Dover could have had a penalty.

The good news is McNulty plays in an unchanged xi from Tuesday and is doing well. There don't seem to be many options on the bench with Mackreth replaced by Maynard and GTF the closest to a striker.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Some might say its a decent point away from home but i just dont think its enough at this stage of the season. First half just wasnt working out and I think we were better when Harris came on in the second half but another game gone and only a point. I think we'll get leapfrogged when the other teams play their games in hand. I think this season it will be a case of not quite good enough.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded a lot better second half, although Dover still had more chances. Will await the match reports from RLC and any other attenders.

Tend to agree with Ian that it's probably not enough. No surprises at Eastleigh and Wrexham with home wins, although Lincoln are almost out of it and Gateshead's play-off hopes recede after a draw and loss respectively.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We're all singing from the same hymn sheet now. Dover will be happier than Rovers with this result. I think we'll get 77 points at best, which won't be good enough unless a couple of teams implode. GB will just have to keep the lads motivated in case. As most are playing for another contract, I hope that should not be too difficult. Interesting that GB replaced Higdon with Harris at half-time, which gave us my suggested starting line-up, so I wonder if it made much difference.

Player
Manager
John King
A battling performance and a deserved point against very awkward opposition. I consider it a very good point as many teams would have lost the game today. We were never at our best but this was in part due to the gamesmanship of our opponents and the ineptitude of the officials. It was a strange first half. We played some decent football and had more midfield possession but created nothing and were picked off several times by Dover, who missed two or three good chances. Credit to brabin to switching to 451 in the second period and removing the ineffective higdon. After half time we were more solid defensively and created the better opportunities in open play, norwood, Maynard and Kirby all going close. We finished the game the stronger side. It was a horrible scrappy affair, but I was pleased with effort of the players and the result keeps our season alive. Motm Steve Jennings. A final word of praise to the 400 travelling SWA. Incredible support. Posted from my phone, hence the lack of paragraphs !