• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

What I want, but won't get.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Someone to take a hold of the club by the scruff and sort out this sh*t.

A new manager would be a start, one who doesn't sit with his back to the game, and a first team coach with two brain cells would be nice too. But this has been talked about at length already, not saying it doesn't continue to deserve discussion, but it's not what this rant is about.

Over the last 20 years the club has moved so far forward, as has football in general, but this season just feels like a huge step in the wrong direction in so many little ways.

Matchday prices have got to be slashed. Ten thousand empty seats does the club no favours, sure we'll get some season ticket holders moan that they paid upfront so why should people who didn't commit be able to get that same discount? Because you paid for a seat, and you get the seat. If you pay for a holiday the year before, get there and discover the people in the next door apartment booked a last minute deal and got the holiday for a fraction of the price you paid, are you really going to ask for your money back? NO and you'd have no grounds, unless the holiday company failed to live up to the package that they sold you. People need to get real on this, you get the seat you paid for. PLUS wouldn't people rather have an atmosphere at the games that they paid the money to go to??

Tunnel of flags waving nonsense as the players come out has got to go. Get rid. It's nonsense in the context of league one. The handshaking thing is another load of rubbish. Shake hands in the ruddy tunnel while you're standing next to each other anyway waiting for the bloody ref. Just get on the pitch and play like you mean it. Also, pre-kickoff huddles used to provoke sniggers and boos around these parts, they certainly didn't used to be a feature of Tranmere teams until this season.

I understand the logic behind the commercial department doing the half time shoot through the inflatable R thing... but it's crooked logic. I don't find it entertaining at all, but much more than that I'm quite offended by using the youth players as fetch and carry for it. These kids are at a professional football club, stepping out onto the pitch. The only things that they should want to do, and the only things that they should be being asked to do is get their boots on and kick a football about. If I was a parent of a youth trainee and I saw him lugging that about instead of training, I'd be upset and saying something like, why?? Because it's cheap?? No! It's STUPID. Use a steward, use a groundsman, use bar staff, but don't use the future players. Putting myself into their shoes (boots) for a second, would I feel protected from the irrelevant sh*te, would I feel nurtured and supported. No. I'd remember that my first time on the pitch in the stadium I felt foolish carrying something pointless. Would I sign another contract for this club... no.

Getting back to the supporters for a moment, in the Kop stand particularly, the stewarding ought to change. The stand was designed to be easy to control, sectional, to seat the fans home and away in a controlled fashion. So how easy would it be to bring the home fans together in the middle areas? Simple stewarding, as fans enter fill these rows first please. Again there will always be those who prefer to have an empty seat beside them to stretch their legs, and those who have sat in the same seats every game for years, and those who don't want to be too close to the scrots.. but it's an unreserved seating area which comes back to what you paid for. In the big gate games in the past (oh remember those days!) you rarely got to sit where you normally would choose, but your ticket got you entry and you would be happy to find a seat. Atmosphere!! We can still make one, but with fewer fans it's all the more important to sit together.

I'm just hoping that a fan wins the euromillions, or that our next owner is someone who has the ability to cut through the cr*p. Because it's been building up at Tranmere lately.

Player
Liam Palmer
Can't really disagree with much of what was written there, however, I generally don't give a toss what goes on at half time, it's the 45 minutes either side that I am concerned with.

OK, I have had enough also and think Barnes should go now. So that's that for me.

However, a couple of points:

1. If you want Barnes out, you'll want Rovers to lose on Monday. Ouch! wanting your team to lose! So should you go to the game and chant 'Barnes out'? Should you stay away and register your general disapproval that way? Or should you pay in at the away end and cheer Stockport on, thereby still giving the club your money and not annoying those around you who still want to cheer the team (even if they too want Barnes/McAteer/Johnson out?).

2. Where would we be today if Ronnie was still manager? Tricky this. I know we're all pining for last season, but may I remind those of you regular posters (and new ones too) that positive/negative comments about Ronnie as manager ran approximately 6 to 1 in the negative. The football was sterile. We couldn't win away (especially against teams below us). If he were here he'd have the same budget cut to deal with (around 40%). It's not an argument for Barnes staying, just a reality check about the future, whoever is manager maybe?

I just raise this because at present everything seems to be under discussion - when you are winning it papers over loads of cracks - when your losing it focuses the mind about what is actually wrong with a club. At Tranmere, there's plenty!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If Moore was still in charge, I am pretty sure we would not be in the top 6 due to the key players we have lost. However I doubt very much we would be in the relegation zone with a goal difference of -17! That is down to PJ, Barnes, and the players. Until a buyer is found, PJ won't go. The players won't go - so that just leaves Barnes/McAteer to take the fall. They would think it unfair but thats what happens. Its always the Managers who go.

Just read Barnes comments from last night:

"The fans did well to come out on a wet night to start calling for my head before the game even starts is their prerogative. When the lads were 1-0 up they were still on my back. If we were losing and not playing well then fine but for the fans to have a negative attitude before the game even kicks off is disappointing"

What does he expect, the fans chanting reflected the season/performances thus far, not just last night. Getting battered by a Millwall team that had a poor start to the season before they played us was bad enough. Bury arent a bad side but are currently 11th in league 2, and we've lost again.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I suppose these are just standard manager repsonses. In truth I'm sure he knows it's been a load of kak from the start but he's not going to come out and say that. Interestingly, I wonder what he really thinks about it all?

yozzer31

Player
Aldo
Even if you think they are just standard responses Ian, there is one thing that grates and hurts more; that is the attitude of the fans who obviously don't care about the team and just want to get the manager out. It is easy to go with the majority and keep chanting against the management but one thing is certain at the moment, we NEED to get behind the team and give them our vocal support. Irrespective of who the manager is and what tactics he WANTS to play, it is the eleven players on the pitch that can change things for us. If we get behind them we may be able to make the small difference that could ensure our survival this year; encouragement and support is a mighty sword that only we as supporters can wield.

I am not saying that Barnes should stay, because at present he doesn't seem to have the respect of the players or supporters, but I am passionate about the club I support and don't want to see up end up with the sort of problems that have infected Chester and Accrington Stanley. We need to show our support and begin our path to survival. I would plead with ALL Rovers fans, no matter how young or old, to cheer the lads onto the pitch on Monday night (and every match after !!!!) and give them as much support and encouragement as possible during the 90mins of each and every game from now until the end of the season.

Keep the Faith !!!!!
We WILL survive !!!!!

UptonRover

Player
Pat Nevin
Yozzer you don't understand that it's the PLAYERS as much as the fans that want these 2 muppets out, so no matter how much support you give them, they will not perform.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Can't really disagree with much of what was written there, however, I generally don't give a toss what goes on at half time, it's the 45 minutes either side that I am concerned with.

OK, I have had enough also and think Barnes should go now. So that's that for me.

However, a couple of points:

1. If you want Barnes out, you'll want Rovers to lose on Monday. Ouch! wanting your team to lose! So should you go to the game and chant 'Barnes out'? Should you stay away and register your general disapproval that way? Or should you pay in at the away end and cheer Stockport on, thereby still giving the club your money and not annoying those around you who still want to cheer the team (even if they too want Barnes/McAteer/Johnson out?).

2. Where would we be today if Ronnie was still manager? Tricky this. I know we're all pining for last season, but may I remind those of you regular posters (and new ones too) that positive/negative comments about Ronnie as manager ran approximately 6 to 1 in the negative. The football was sterile. We couldn't win away (especially against teams below us). If he were here he'd have the same budget cut to deal with (around 40%). It's not an argument for Barnes staying, just a reality check about the future, whoever is manager maybe?

I just raise this because at present everything seems to be under discussion - when you are winning it papers over loads of cracks - when your losing it focuses the mind about what is actually wrong with a club. At Tranmere, there's plenty!

Point 2 I disagree with. I'm a season ticket holder and I go to a maximum of 4-5 away games a year - as such, I couldn't really care less if our away form is dreadful so long as I'm turning up to PP every week to watch us turn over teams week in week out (as we were under Ronnie). And I think the football was pretty good too, certainly last year. I think most of our fans didn't appreciate how well Ronnie did 'till he was gone. I was behind him from day one. And budgetcut or otherwise, Barnes has more senior-pro's at his disposal than Moore did last year. Lacking in the same quality, perhaps, but that says more about Ronnie's ability to make astute signings than anything else. All the players who signed new terms took pay-cuts I believe, as did executive-level members of staff, which is where the majority of the budget cut took place. Barnes has been allowed to bring players in. Moore would have at least took us comfortably into the top-half given the same, I'm absolutely certain of that.

NBDH I think your post is petty and I for one couldn't care less if our enterance onto the pitch is greeted by people waving flags.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In general, I dont agree with all this giving the players support on the pitch. My support comes from my wallet and the players should be able to perform whether we cheer them or not, thats not to say I dont get behind them, I do, it's a natural instinct but i dont believe it matters much.

In my experience (and i've seen quite a few bad performances over the years) crowd support does little on the pitch. 4000 Tranmere supporters singing their hearts out for 90 minutes against Leeds or Millwall away for example wouldnt have made one iota of difference.

The players and management should be playing/doing their damn best to get a result over 90 minutes. I'd suggest this isn't happening right now..

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Do you think Stoke would have as good a home record as they do without the kind of atmosphere their fans generate at the Britannia? Same with the likes of Galatasaray in the Champions League...

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
Barnes has more senior-pro's at his disposal than Moore did last year. Lacking in the same quality, perhaps, but that says more about Ronnie's ability to make astute signings than anything else. All the players who signed new terms took pay-cuts I believe, as did executive-level members of staff, which is where the majority of the budget cut took place. Barnes has been allowed to bring players in. Moore would have at least took us comfortably into the top-half given the same, I'm absolutely certain of that.

Totally aagree. Ronnie's ability to make astute signings (and one or two dodgy ones admittedly - sorry Sonko!) was based on a sound knowledge of the lower leagues. I was behind Ronnie, even if his lack of substitutions and reluctance to play younger players could be frustrating. Laurel and Hardy's knowledge of the lower leagues? Well lets look at our permanent signings this summer.

Mahon - played with McAteer for Ireland (and Blackburn?)
McLaren - played with McAteer for us last time round
Welsh - was at Liverpool with McAteer
Broomes - played with McAteer at Blackburn
Bain - played against Barnes in the Carribean
Ricketts - a former England international (somehow)

Who have we signed from the lower leagues? From non-league? There is not one ounce of scouting involved in the signing of any of those players. How many lower league matches has Barnes watched in the past 10 years? He says he has applied for jobs at all levels but has we watched matches at all levels on a regular basis? The same with McAteer. You see and hear of people like Aide Boothroyd who was out watching games all the time before he got back into work. I'm not sure you can say the same about our two. Unless u class Barnes watching dodgy UEFA Cup matches from the Channel 5 studio or the Anfield directors box.

I'm sorry I keep ranting on here - but frustrating doesnt even come close to how ive been feeling this season.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
NBDH I think your post is petty and I for one couldn't care less if our enterance onto the pitch is greeted by people waving flags.
There needs to be a change of culture in the club. This will almost certainly need a new manager to achieve.. and what I want, but probably won't get to see.. is a man who sets things out clear and simple, no bull, telling it how it is.

I think

• the manager should be sacked on the grounds of incompetence
  • ticket prices should be reduced for the rest of the season
  • players need to show commitment or not play at all
  • a renewed emphasis on the importance of youth players
  • supporters encouraged to sit together with flags and drums permitted
These are all about get the basics right.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
First of all any manager worth his salt wouldn't be as tactically embarrased game after game as Barnes has been, but setting that aside... Imagine for a second a manager worth his salt coming in to the dressing room after an abject defeat. There are three and a half million unemployed people in this country right now, and 21 million unemployed in europe who can play football here without a work permit!!

There is no way any player should feel safe or complacent if that point was driven home. There's more than enough young people lining up to take their places and now is as good a time as any to capitalise upon it.

Speak up Mr. Johnson

The silence is deafening; Any normal chairman/owner would by now have come out and said something, anything really,surely!!!!

But from our intrepid robber not a word, not even the dreaded vote of confidence in the manager - and we all know what that means.

Come on Johnson - outline your plans, explain your leadership, tell us where you see the club in a couple of years.

Stop counting your money and show a bit of backbone, forget you are a "businessman" for a little while and put yourself in the position of a supporter, give us your opinion and you never know we may respect you for it.

The supporters do have a range of differing thoughts and think of various answers but they ALL do have one thing in common - the welfare of Tranmere Rovers. The big question is, do you?

Player
Liam Palmer
Barnes and McAteer are at the Liverpool reserves game at PP tonight. Could they be a) eyeing up a couple of possible loan signings, or b) waving their red scarves, chanting and dribbling?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
The silence is deafening; Any normal chairman/owner would by now have come out and said something, anything really,surely!!!!

But from our intrepid robber not a word, not even the dreaded vote of confidence in the manager - and we all know what that means.

Come on Johnson - outline your plans, explain your leadership, tell us where you see the club in a couple of years.

Stop counting your money and show a bit of backbone, forget you are a "businessman" for a little while and put yourself in the position of a supporter, give us your opinion and you never know we may respect you for it.

The supporters do have a range of differing thoughts and think of various answers but they ALL do have one thing in common - the welfare of Tranmere Rovers. The big question is, do you?

Step 1)
Please read my replies to every single one of your recent anti-PJ posts.

Step 2)
Feel silly and delete this one.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself, but the if there were an uprise in numbers of those getting on PJs back, that could literally see an end to the club. The perceived mess we're in now doesn't come anywhere near to what we'd have to deal with if PJ decided to walk, and really, who could blame him? Especially with a bunch of ungrateful tossers calling for his head. We owe the bloke more money than we could possibly ever muster up, let's stay on his good side shall we? Please!

If you're that arsed about hanging off our chairmans every word, buy a programme at home games. I believe he writes an article to the fans in that 23 times a year.

There needs to be a change of culture in the club. This will almost certainly need a new manager to achieve.. and what I want, but probably won't get to see.. is a man who sets things out clear and simple, no bull, telling it how it is.

I think

• the manager should be sacked on the grounds of incompetence
  • ticket prices should be reduced for the rest of the season
  • players need to show commitment or not play at all
  • a renewed emphasis on the importance of youth players
  • supporters encouraged to sit together with flags and drums permitted
These are all about get the basics right.

Reducing ticket prices would probably mean income falling further, which, frankly is more important than a slight change in atmosphere. The special offers we ran towards the end of last season were not cost-effective short term, and clearly have had no long-term effect either. As for making me sit anywhere other than the seat that's allocated to my season ticket...good luck. Are drums and flags currently banned?

Unlike others, I don't care how old a player is or where they're from as long as they're good - our young players that aren't yet League 1 quality aren't in the first team - dead simple. Yet the ones who do seem to be good enough are on the fringes which I think is good; Fraughan, Curran, Gornell, Barnett, Collister and Taylor have all got game time this year, Cresswell is first choice and young loanee's Logan and Daniels have pretty much been our 2 best players this year. The others will come through when they're ready, as has always been the case. You can't force talent, you have to wait and hope for the best. Playing a bunch of kids every week would see us relegated. And I don't think any of our lads ever go out and intentionally choose not to do everything they can to win the game, not since Tony Kay was shirking out of tackles last season have I ever questioned a players commitment.

Ally

Player
Aldo
We all seem to have different opinions on what's best for the club, but I think we're all agreed that Barnes needs to do one, fast.

Agree in principle with some of the things NBDH has said. It's just a really awful time for the club - poor management, poor performances, low gates, despondent fans, little media interest to heap further pressure on Barnes, and not much chance of a buyer/more investment...

Oh God. It's just so depressing isn't it? Can someone wake me up when this sh1tty mess is all over please? Thanks.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
not since Tony Kay was shirking out of tackles last season have I ever questioned a players commitment.
i assume you didnt go to leeds this season? i had a multitude of questions after that game..

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
BREAKING NEWS THIS MORNING..........................

I wake up, switch on the radio and listen to the news headlines on talksport. Third item up starts with "John Barnes..............." - I jump out of bed, fist punching the air thinking finally he has done the decent thing and resigned, or that Johnson has finally seen sense....but no "John Barnes has teamed up with Ian Wright and Franco Zola to promote the new NHS quit Smoking service".

Great.

Digger saves the world - again

While being a part-time manager and getting us relegated. In the past two weeks he has been cleaning the streets of Liverpool, training kids in Leicester and now saving the nations health.

I'm surprised to hear hes watching Liverpool reserves - because his seat in the stand is within 100 metres of his office desk - thats far too close for him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I caught him on Sky Sports news this morning. He's also vice-chairman or vice-something of the word cup bid I think. He's a busy man!