• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Walsall 2 Rovers 1

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers better side 1st half, took lead through og, but no man on post lead to quick equaliser for home side. Dire 2nd half showing, Walsall had half a dozen chances, we didn't give their keeper a save to make. Compounded by poor tactics and sub non-use by Les. Will post in more detail when I get home.

Player
steve coppell
**** and triple ****.... GOT to get something out of the next games. While not fatal to our League One survival, if we do stay up this and other games will make us say 'we didn't half make it hard for ourselves....'

DIW

Player
Goodison
We're going down - probably. Even if we win the final two home games (which I can't see - maybe 4 points) we will still need some away points. So a win at Stockport will be a must.
Depressing.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I kinda feel as though I can comment on the game itself from a slightly higher vantage point than the majority of our supporters, who it seems were quite happy to exchange £20 for the oppertunity to scream "wife beater!" at Darren Byfield for an excruciating hour and a half rather than pay any attention whatsoever to the game. Additionally, I happened to be sat in front of some kid with touretts who picked up on this trend and proceeded to shout "wife beater!" at every single player, including those wearing a white shirt. Was quite funny for a while but began to grate on me after they equalised for obvious reasons.

First opening half hour we started brightly. Walsall seemed happy to surrender the initiative in midfield, while our front 3 caused a few problems of its own with Moore and Curran firing wide and over respectivley when a shot on target would almost certainly have yielded a goal. As it transpired, we went 1-0 up after one of their defenders wrongfooter their own keeper by deflecting the ball in from a John Welsh (?) cross. Poor organisation from a corner allowed them back into the game, but it must be said that their center half directed the ball well into the bottom corner from quite a way out. This is when the Byfield dramatics really stepped up a gear and never really subsided.

Second half was poor. We managed to create maybe one half chance. Obviously Byfield scored the winner, skipping between two of our players before tucking the ball away. Suspect to be poor defending, but couldn't really tell from other end of the pitch. Walsall could have scored a few after that too. We didn't do a lot in response.

Ben Gordon is terrible. The fans were getting really frustrated with him and with Les for not bringing Bakayogo on. Labadia for Taylor was a forced change which I doubt would have been made otherwise - he did quite well though, looks a classy player for sure. Won't start ahead of Mclaren or Edds but really, really should. Bain came on for Curran in a strange move; didn't really have time to make an impact. Savage cannot last 90 minutes, or even close. He was appauling second half. Moore did nothing other than miss a very good chance to put us in the lead, midfield worked hard but only Labadia showed any sort of ability to pass a ball, Back 5 sans Gordon did quite well.

Struggling for a MOTM. Gonna go with Darren Byfield, just to piss people off.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We were the better side in the first half and if we had managed to get to half time ahead it might have been a different story. Unfortunately we didn't and the first Walsall goal was really poor defensively.

After Walsall scored the second our heads just seemed to drop and we never looked like salvaging anything from the game. This is alarming, as the 'never say die' attitude away from home of January and February seems to have evaporated.

Even in periods when we had the upper hand I always felt they looked classier than us going forwards, in terms of their movement and link up play, which considering they are midtable, is a sad reflection on our general lack of quality. That lack of creativity was glaringly obvious in the second half.

I have to agree that why Gordon should be picked ahead of Bakayogo is a mystery. Also agree that Labadie should start against Wycombe, but probably won't.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks for the reports guys. In a worrying state of affairs, it appears like some of the players have already given up. The 1st half sounded promising and actually thought we had a chance of getting something out of the game, but the 2nd half was a disaster. Why did they play so badly in the second?

Not sure what's going on with Gordon but he's nowhere near as good as Bagayoko in terms of defending and pushing forward. Sounds like a raw deal that one. Get him off Les and play your best XI.

Ironically, Labadia can pass a ball and ends up sitting on the bench. Les, get him on, we need players that can pass to feet!

Once again, Stockport is looming.
Apart from the kids, what was the away support like? Did we fill the away end?

Player
Manager
John King
I think the suspensions and, strangely enough, the loan players coming in and out, have disrupted us a bit, and we have lost the unity and togetherness that we had a couple of months ago, particularly away from home. While one player is never the sole cause of a poor performance, I don't think it is a coincidence that we have shipped goals away from home since Gordon came into the side.

I think we had about 600 there today, which wasn't bad considering our away record this season. Despite the defeat I am not completely despondent, as I think a win against Wycombe could change the whole picture, but that is now a game we simply MUST win. A defeat, or perhaps even a draw, on Tuesday and I think we are effectively down.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I kinda feel as though I can comment on the game itself from a slightly higher vantage point than the majority of our supporters, who it seems were quite happy to exchange £20 for the oppertunity to scream "wife beater!" at Darren Byfield for an excruciating hour and a half rather than pay any attention whatsoever to the game. Additionally, I happened to be sat in front of some kid with touretts who picked up on this trend and proceeded to shout "wife beater!" at every single player, including those wearing a white shirt. Was quite funny for a while but began to grate on me after they equalised for obvious reasons.

Struggling for a MOTM. Gonna go with Darren Byfield, just to piss people off.

Must have missed those, what with the home side's red and our snot green :lol: Byfield didn't get stick from the outset, but I read elsewhere that he'd been mouthing 'going down' at us and then there was an incident where he shoved Ash into a post, which got us on his back. Didn't see the mouthing myself, but if we play like that second half again, he's probably right.

When the team was announced, everyone got a cheer, save Gordon. Walsall didn't start well and with the off-field distractions between their board and fans, if Rovers had been up for it, we could have taken the game by the scruff of the neck. Too many players didn't seem up for it today and not all of them could claim fitness issues like Bas. Mentally some were playing like we were down already.

I've stuck up for Les in the past, but it was clear he's starting to alienate some of the fans by his decisions. Given the players who were unavailable, coupled with the poor performance at Swindon, he should have looked at changing the personnel to shake them out of their complacency. Instead one change, a barely fit Savage for the banned Gornell.

Gordon wasn't to blame for either goal, but his defending was poor and he offers nothing going forward. Having been booked in the first half, he was lucky to escape a second yellow for a trip near our corner flag, but still Les didn't take him off. Ash Taylor came off with a head injury and Labadie did offer something different. Kithson came on with about 15 minutes left, one or two nice touches but no threat. I know Curran was an injury doubt, but he seemed stronger than Bas, so a surprise he was subbed. Throughout the game we lacked width, Gordon incapable and Broomes unwilling to attack down the flanks. If Les was forced to play Gordon, he could still have given a wide option by replacing Edds with Mahon, Shuker or even Zoum in a wide midfield role.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
You caught me out, I didn't go :cool:

In fairness I found the whole Byfield thing to be OTT. Detracted from the football. I think it's funny that our fans think it's alright to scream insults at opposition players, but when the slightest eye-contact in made response? Outrage and utter disgust. If you give it out you've gotta be prepared to take some back IMO.

Pre-match Gordon cheer thing was funny, agree. Feel a bit sorry for the lad since it's not his fault he's getting picked and it's not his fault we love Bakayogo. But he is out of his depth.

Rockford, not sure I agree with a lack of effort/passion. Just a lack of ideas/creativity. Nothing a few tactical/personell tweaks couldn't fix, I feel.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I didnt go the game but it sounds like I have been right about Savage in that he just isnt up to playing the central front role, or any for that matter.

May not be his fault as he was injured for a long time and coming back into a struggling side must be difficult but why Les cannot see this is beyond me. The Chief would contribute more.

I am seriously worried now - more than I was when Barnes was around as at least we had time on our side but we are running out of games.

Best start looking at who may be coming up from the Blue Square Premier to plan some trips for next season !!

Zoom should be back in for Tuesday plus the lad from West Brom and Robinson should feature somewhere. Send the Chelsea lad back down south as we dont need him now.

If Les persists with several midfield/attacking players who clearly arent contribing enough, we are off to Stevenage next season and Les will leave the club under a cloud :-(. Its still arguably in our hands but this time next week, we, and the players, should know if we are up or down.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Nice attempt at criticising Bas' performance without actually seeing it. To clarify, he started very well before tailing off in the second half. The bloke's been injured for a year, I think he's done well since coming back into the side considering the demands that are being made of him physically. You're pretty much the only Tranmere fan I've ever spoken to who doesn't rate him as a player.

It's not arguably in our hands, it's factually in our hands.

Player
Goodison
WE'RE DOOMED I thought I would just cover one side of the argument.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Bas has recovered from a serious injury that had him out of football for 11 months. He's not come back at his best, but pretty much thrown into things because he offers us something different, and his showing coming up as a sub vs Southampton gave everyone the boost that gave us impetus to go on and win that game.

Think you're being really harsh on him, if he stays injury free and has a good pre-season, you'll see the true Bas Savage next season. For now, he's not doing that bad, have you seen the other strikers we have this season??? Not much better if at all.

ps. watch the highlights and the great work by Savage down the right wing for the ITM chance that he put over the bar. No-one else in our squad could have done that imo.

Player
Manager
John King
Rockford, not sure I agree with a lack of effort/passion. Just a lack of ideas/creativity. Nothing a few tactical/personell tweaks couldn't fix, I feel.

I hope you are right, but Les still doesn't seem any keener about 'tweaking' when necessary, particularly during games.

I just think the number of goals we are conceding away from home has knocked confidence, as with our goalscoring record we are not even giving ourselves a chance of taking something from games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Too much expectation placed on Bas after his return. He never looked like scoring heaps of goals last season, but his work-rate and creative play were a big part of our push for the play-offs. I said a few weeks ago that he hasn't come close to scoring, since returning, sadly this still holds. However, he still can offer something to the team, as the chance he set up for ITM mentioned by SCoops illustrates. Maybe play him in half-match chunks until fitness regained.

Having now viewed the match highlights, Chris McCready has to take much of the blame for the Byfield goal, he doesn't track him back or challenge at all. Yet Chris has been one of our steadier performers recently.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Also Broomes for pressuring the ball too high up the pitch...and Goody's challenge was pretty limp...