• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Trialists

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
At the start of pre-season, there was talk from Les about signing up players with potential, like Labadie, with a view to developing and selling on. That doesn't seem to have borne fruit. More recently, Les has said the bulk of the wage money available is to sign a striker, but we don't seem to be making any headway with that. Even if we get someone half-decent for this level, they'll still need time to settle in and gel with the rest of the squad.

The alternative doesn't bear thinking about. A forward line of ITM, Gornell and...? Bojang doesn't sound that encouraging and playing one of the youngsters up there; Fraughan, Mackreth as wide-men could be out of their comfort zone, while Dale Jennings sounds like a bit of a hothead, though I didn't see the Forest game.

HELP#-o#-o

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are to offer a contract to Nick Wood and it should be sorted this week.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, well that should ease things a bit in defence. Also, Matt Hollyoak, the right back, will get another run out tomorrow at Chester. And Les is still undecided about Bajong. Fast and tricky, but like many of you have said, worried about lack of end product. The search for a striker continues..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah re Bojang, as per the Daily Post after the Mansfield game :

"However Parry said he is going to have a long think about striker Bakary Bojang, a triallist from Denmark"

Sounds like he may be another Delroy Facey, big, strong, quick, but not a goal scorer - but possibly someone who could cause defenses problems. A difficult decision to make then but who else is there?

Agree with most that our lack of striking options is a big concern. I would guess that the closer you get to 7th August, the more desperate clubs get, or the more desperate players who are without a club may get.

Either way - ITM and Gornell is not enough to get enough goals.

Hopefully Les will have something up his sleeve.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Willemsen looked quality - need to see where he ends up as it will be an indicator of how big an effort they made to keep him. Assuming he went of his own accord.

Agree with all, better strikers required, but if service is non-existent/poor quality you can sign a world class striker and he will struggle. Slight hope was if Willemsen could stick it on a plate even is a Sun league player may have bagged a few.

Yes, the more promising Willemsen has seemingly left unfortunately. Sounded like he played well vs. Forest and looked a very useful player on youtube (easily done I know but still) but maybe he is looking around and keeping his own options open as he might get a better offer than one which may or may not be offered by Rovers.

Bojang just sounds like a clone of Eddy Sonko. He's Gambian, he's a winger, and it sounds like he's rubbish too! Bit of skill, bit of pace, but no end product is the review I got from someone who went to Marine and the Forest game. Not sure he's the answer to our prayers.

Nick Wood sounds a bit better. Obviously he scored against Forest, and reports from the game today suggest he was solid enough alongside Goodison. With our lack of defenders a bit of a problem, maybe he could be a short-term fix on maybe a six-month contract and if he does well that could perhaps be extended.

The right back was a guy called Matt Hollyoak. Not sure if he's been scouted on channel 4 (sorry, it was asking to be said :p). From from I could find after googling him, he's spent some time in the States in college 'soccer' for the last couple of years. I believe he was training with Tonbridge Angels earlier in the summer. Doesn't sound like he's any good to be honest.

Time is running out a little bit. Two weeks before the season starts. Ideally, the last two warm-up matches would be roughly the team which will face Oldham on opening day. So we've got a week perhaps to assess trialists, and try and get a striker in. Am sure Les is doing his utmost to get things sorted, many other clubs are in the same boat as ourselves, so we mustn't panic too soon and bring in players just for the numbers.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nick Wood hasn't signed as yet, Bojang is no longer with us and it didn't sound like any of the players on trial at Chester were screaming out to be signed up. I note Chris McCready's gone to Morecambe on a free; a player we could have made use of.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Nick Wood has been offered a contract. Time will tell if he accepts it or not, but I can't see him getting a deal at a 'bigger' club. Carlisle it seems weren't interested, but we shall see. He sounds promising defender though and we could definitely use the cover there.

As for the other trialists, Connor (ex Everton) played tonight and had a hand in the goal we scored. Not sure he's really done enough, Bojang has left, and Hollyoak sounds as bad as the soap opera named after him!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Some decent feedback from elsewhere re Connor. If it is not Willmensen (sadly gone), someone will be needed to feed Enoch and ITM. Not sure anyone currently on the books who can do this. The Echo said now that the budget has been sorted in terms of a striker Les now knows what is left for the rest - so signings should now be swift. See if they can tempt Willemsen back for what's left - £50 per week :)