• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere Rovers 1-0 Accrington Stanley

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
first of all:

[x] said it would be 1-0
[x] said shuker would score it

:cool:

my prediction skills are second to none.

awful awful game, 4-5-1, 4-4-2, edds off, sonko on, shuker off, greenacre on...we tried everything really, but nothing worked particulaly well. credit to accy who played really well on the night and gave us absoloutely no space to "keep it on the deck" as some really annoying twat who was a few rows above me kept shouting every 2 minutes.

jennos positional play in the first half was shocking - he was like a CB - while barnett, for all his efforts, seemed to struggle physically with their pressing midfield game. edds contribution was minimal at best, and i was pleased to see him come off for sonko (who didn't do anything himself, but the shape of the team was better with him on in a 4-4-2)

second half was a bit better as accrington started to tire...still pretty bad though. jenno looked better in a midfield four and barnett showed a few glimpses of class. tonight was savages worst game in a tranmere shirt, but in fairness, we didn't play at all well and he's not great in the air so long balls aren't ideal service. coyne played well, with chorley being the only member of our back four who put in a halfway decent performance.

moore was as ineffective as ever, despite a good opening 5 minutes in which he hit the bar with a lovely chip - greenacre looked a bit more lively when he came on though, and was unlucky not to nick a goal (maybe two)

the win is the main thing, but obviously we need to improve a lot on saturday - but we've played like that in the cup pretty much all the way through this season and gone on to improve on our performances in the league, so i'm sure we'll be fine.

hopefully curran will be back soon

Player
Liam Palmer
Spot on analysis, mate - you've saved me four minutes of typing. As one of the few who bothered to turn up to PP, I spend most of the game either feeling sorry for Ian Moore (started right, moved to centre forward, ended up on left) and wondering what's the point of him.

Surely, surely we cannot play as badly on Saturday? At least the atmosphere should be a bit better.

PS We got £37k for being on the telly. Gate was maybe 1200 down on what it would have been on Tuesday. Average ticket price (with all those kids in) around £10. So multiply those numbers and think of all the lost pies, prog. and beer sales. Was it worth it? And only 42 hours between the games..... Saturday will tell us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds from what you say and the match reports that Accrington gave us a good run for our money. Noted that Kay & Jennings picked up another booking each. Not checked the stats, but both regularly collecting cards and must be due a ban. Still, as you say, the result's the main thing.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Sod it a win is a win at the end of the day, look forward to round 2, tough draw but you never know.
Only area of concern for me was Bas drifting out to the flanks all the time, if he is the target man then surely he should be in and around the 6 yard box????
Anyhoo an enjoyable day at Peterborough to look forward to!:-D

Ally

Player
Aldo
Watched the game on Setanta in a pub. Got more into playing darts than watching the game. It was really poor. In fact, it was difficult to watch at times. We started brightly, Moore hitting the bar after a nice move, but Stanley will feel they deserved something from the game. A mate who came with me said it was one of the worst games he's ever seen on telly, so that was nice. :roll:

At least we're through though. If we can past Posh a tasty 3rd round tie would be very welcome.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A mate who came with me said it was one of the worst games he's ever seen on telly, so that was nice. :roll:

Haha, I shouldn't laugh, but that's funny. It wasn't pretty though was it. [-( Ronnie was suitably unimpressed after the game as well.

To be fair to Stanley, they made it hard for us over the last two games. Their work rate was impressive, they just don't have the quality to punish teams at our level.

Player
Goodison
The first half was abysmal and the second wasn't much better but at least were through. The last two games have been the most boring two games I have ever seen. If Shuker hadn't scored they would still be taking penalties now.

I'm really concerned about our style of play at the moment - we look more and more like Bolton every match!

Man of the match for me was Coyne as he made several good saves, especially the one from John Mulling which kept the score at 0-0. Kay was awful yesterday, a decent side would have punished him for his mistakes, he was as bad as Antwi was against Millwall!