• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 4 Grimsby 0

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, who predicted that score? When was the last time we could relax at half-time and enjoy the second half? I look forward to hearing the reports.

On the down side - 3500 for the first game of the season is disappointing. (Will Barnes now be sacked for falling attendances? :wink:)

And just to be realistic, Yeovil lost 4-0 at home tonight to Norwich who had lost 7-1 at home on Saturday! A great result tonight, but league points may be more difficult to get.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm sure league points will be more difficult to get. But it was certainly a welcome scoreline. However Barnes was right when he said after the game, if it wasn't for Luke Daniels making some excellent saves, the scoreline would have been a lot tighter.

Having said that, this was the first time I'd seen the new look Rovers and I enjoyed the game. I particularly enjoyed the way the team passed it round. Yeah, there were moments of lapses and stray balls, but overall much more enjoyable than watching balls hoofed into the air and head tennis in the centre of the pitch.

Defence looked a little more assured even with a half fit Goodison, was good to see him back. Broomes looked a little flaky for my liking. Cresswell had a solid game and I was impressed with Logan at right back. He's quick, has a good touch and bombs forward with ease.

Not convinced with the midfield show. McLaren and Welsh look a little weary in the centre but Mahon on the left and Curran up front more than made up for it.

Not getting carried away as Grimsby were quite poor. Says it all when your main striker is Adam Proudlock! But I'm looking at the positives.

Four goals, entry into the second round of the Carling Cup, and a pleasing display. When was the last time we could say that?

Looking forward to a sterner test on Saturday, but for now, I'm satisfied.

Player
Goodison
Good performance, lots of passing football with some penetration too. I thought the team played well, McLaren was excellent in midfield and Daniels made some stunning saves. Goodison did well at the back and seemed to give others confidence, only had one dodgy moment but Daniels came to the rescue, he also produced a brilliant cross for Curran's goal. Broomes also played well but looks a little lightweight.

Hopefully we can sign an imposing forward and imposing defender to play alongside Goodison as the team looks a little lightweight in those departments at the moment.

Ratings:

Daniels: 9
Logan: 7
Goodison: 8
Broomes: 7
Creswell: 7
Shuker: 6
Welsh: 7
McLaren: 9
Mahon: 8
Curran: 7
Thomas-Moore: 7

Man of the Match: Daniels

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I thought the scoreline flattered us and we've got a long way to go, but it was certainly a big improvement on Saturday. Curran once again looked very good, and both full-backs played well. Mahon showed flashes of brilliant though seemed more effective when moving into more central areas - would rather see him play there than stuck out wide, but I don't think Barnes will ever play a creative central midfielder.

Elsewhere, Shuker was poor after a promising showing on Saturday. Moore once again had little effect. Thought Broomes looked ok, better than slightly-doddery Goodison. I thought Welsh was once again largely ineffective, whilst partner in crime Mclaren was his typical self; the man finds ways to make the most routine passes look like works of art, with a flick of the hair and over-elaborate technique. Makes me laugh but doesn't fool me, I still think he flatters to deceive. Daniels once again superb in goal, I have 10x more confidence in him than I did in Coyne.

We still need to work hard on improving how we defend as a unit, and certain players (Welsh and Shuker in particular) need to make sure they don't give posession away cheaply. When we get the ball into the final third the end product needs to be good - down the left we look fine for that, but the right hand side may need more work. Hope to see Barnett replace Shuker when fit.

Would also add that I'm pleased with Barnes post-match response.

DWaltz

Its hard to criticse a 4-0 whatever the opposition are like, you can only beat whats in front of you.

The passing style is so much more nicer to watch like Ian says than head tennis, maybe a little bit too much at times but we will learn when to do it and when not too.

We scored four goals and we are threw and we are playing some nice stuff - good times.

I think people are being harsh on Welsh and Mahon, these two havent played first team football for a long time at their other clubs. It takes a while to get back into the swing of it, I know people say thats what pre-season is for but it will take them till September to really get into it. Its hard going from sub/reserve every week to starting every match espically in a competitive division like ours. Welsh also is going to find it difficult to stand out when your winning 4-0 because his job is to break up the oppoisiton play and do defensive work a lot of which is off the ball that people dont realise. McLaren is a class act, people say he doesnt do much but you can usualy count on one hand how many times he gives the ball away. Shuker, well its hard being a winger, you either play class or you struggle. Depends how the game goes for you.

Logan and Daniels look class and Cressa has stepped up beautifully. In my opinion everything bodes well.

Im not saying we will get play offs but after losing a lot of players, the new management team are getting there own team out there gradually and there own style. It is all good signs.

Saturday will be a tough game, Gills look good like Barnes said in summer so will be intresting to see if he comes up with anything for them.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mahon still looks classy after all these years. He's got a great touch, hardly gives the ball away, can cross, shoot and play people in. I was delighted when he resigned and as long as he keeps himself injury free, we'll see a lot from him this season.

I was really pleased to see Curran on the score sheet too. He deserved it, thought he had a great game and worked really hard. However, I'm still not sure about Gornell. I know a lot of people rate him, but from what I've seen, I can't say I'm that impressed. I know he hasn't been given much of a chance, but I can only judge him on what I see.

If we can get a huge experienced centre back to partner Goodison, I'd be a lot happier :)

DWaltz

Mahon will be class, so will Welsh. When they get fully match fit. They are in the same boat as Goodison and Broomes at the minute. Definately need a centre half if we can sign one to go with Goody and maybe get Gunning for season as cover I would be happy. Then get this Kitson Bain and if he is alright I feel we will have a good squad, I agree that Gornell isnt all that. Ive seen him for the reserves and first team and he scores goals in the reserves but his all round play is poor for me but I really dont see him as a target man at all and I doubt he would ever score 15-20 goals for the first team in a season. I think hes just another Perry Taylor or Chris Dagnall, will always be good for reserves but will never step it up. I agree he hasnt been given a chance but I would like to think he would be 4th choice should we bring a striker in.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Firstly, a good result and a realistic post-match assessment from JB. However I think Ian &DWaltz being a bit harsh on Gornell. The lad's hardly had a runout, did ok when loaned out and is the best target man of our current forwards. Are any of our current strikers 15+ a season? I can't see it, maybe an injury-free Curran, certainly not Bas or Thomas-Moore. Terry needs to get some more starts under his belt before writing him off imo.

Still worried - but a little less

Pleasantly surprised at our 4-o win over a poorish Grimsby team. On reflection though Grimsby did have a fair number of chances and failed on each occasion, it would have been interesting if they had netted a couple.

Overall satisfied with getting through and playing some decent football. There were some nice passing movements, particularly when we bypassed Shuker - he is still a shocker, can't pass or shoot and is a coward to boot. I do hope someone can take him off our hands.

Looking forward to the challenge in the games against Gillingham and MK Dons and hoping we learn a lot more positives about the team.

Fancy agreeing with sonkerly!!!!