• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 4 - 1 Yeovil

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Mixed emotions here.

Delighted, absolutely ****ing delighted that we've recorded a win. Three points that were oh so very desperately needed. I'm over the moon especially as even at half time the idea of even salvaging a draw was looking highly unlikely.

But desperatly upset that Brian has yet again escaped on his way to the gallows. That man has more lives than a cat. He was, there is no doubt in my mind, 45 minutes away from the sack at half time. Not just because we were losing but because it was a continuation of poor results and worse performances.

But then his desperate, last throw of the dice, making a double positive substitution without taking off two forward players (something I don't think he's ever done for us before) that saved him.

Aiston on one wing and Davies on the other, instead of an extra man in the three centrebacks who didn't know where to be and the three midfielders who didn't know where to be quite literally turned the game on its head, pinning Yeovil back and saw us creating chances. First home win since August, FINALLY.

I've said before that the only thing worse than having to sack a cr*p manager is being stuck with a cr*p manager, and I still think that applies. I do hope that the corner has been turned, but I've watched too many games with Brian Little in charge over the past three years to get too excited about this - you watch, next game Ian Goodison will play and we'll be negative again. Brian only seems to make an effort when his job is on the line, surely nobody can be so dense as to go back to 5-3-2 after 4-4-2 worked so incredibly, unbelievably well in the second half today.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well well, who would have thought this at half time.
Let's put the first half quickly out of our minds. It was pretty poor and not much happened.

Although I do think the officials got it wrong when their keeper stepped over his line into the net with the ball. In fact, the officials were pretty poor all game, and that referee, Mr Moss is poor. I remember him being like that last time he was in charge. Awful ref...

Anyways, onto the positives.
The second half!! Wahayy!! :D

Little did what Little does very rarely and made substitutions at half time, and guess what ?? they were positives ones. Ohh yes, whether it was the fact that he was clinging to his job by a thread or the fact that he could actually read the game and suss out that Yeovil rarely weren't up too much and that with a bit of force in attack, we could trouble them. I'm hoping it was the latter!! :roll:

Anyways, on comes Aiston and Zola and we looked a different team, well, up front we did. There was more positivity and aggression shown. Balls were being played to feet and there seemed more strength up front.

Zola did his best at being akward, which he does very well, and Greenacre started to see the ball more with good runs from the back and from Aiston and Davies on the wings.

All the goals were great, and just shows what can be done when you attack teams and put them under pressure.

Little should and needs to be more positive!!

I'm hoping this is just what we needed, and 4pts from 2 games isn't bad going at all. Delighted with that result and let's hope this carries us forward onto difficult games against Vale and Rotherham.

Well done Chrissy on the hat-trick. When was the last time a Tranmere player scored a hat-trick?

Up to the dizzy heights of 19th!!

=D> =D>

M

Matthew The Rover

Rovers apply Christmas stuffing! by Matthew Jones
Tranmere Rovers 4 Yeovil Town 1

Tranmere 4-1 Yeovil

After four months of waiting, Tranmere Rovers got their first home league win since August by showing Yeovil the door at Prenton Park tonight.

Tranmere made three changes from the XI that started at Walsall, replacing the injured Delroy Facey with Steve Davies, Jason McAteer finally returned after two months out, as Mark Rankine was rested and bringing Paul Linwood in at the back for Ian Goodison.

Calvin Zola returned to the bench, joined by Phil Palethorpe, Sam Aiston, Ian Goodison and Carl Tremarco.

The game was set to be dull, with Rovers in bad scoring form and Yeovil not exactly the best away team in the league, and, indeed, the game was dull in the first 20 minutes.

Rovers however had the first chance, as Chris Greenacre fired wide on six minutes before Phil Jevons, the former Everton striker missed a good chance infront of the Kop.

On 17 minutes, Rovers had a corner, which Gareth Roberts swung in. The corner was met by the head of Paul Linwood, who unfortunatly headed straight into the 'keepers arms. Although a handful of Rovers fans claimed the ball had crossed the line, the assistant referee gave nothing.

Six minutes later, Rovers had another chance as the home side piled on the pressure. Gareth Roberts broke down the left and supplied Steve Davies. Unfortunatly for the Rovers wonder-kid, who turns 18 tomorrow, Davies could only kick the ball well over the bar.

Davies had another chance minutes later, as he latched on to a Francis pass, but again Davies failed to convert, as on the second time of asking, he hit the ball straight at Collis who saved.

However, Rovers failed to make the pressure pay, and Yeovil were handed the chance to take the lead on 31 minutes.

Paul Linwood brought down David Poole in the area and Phil Jevons stepped up to net his eigth goal of the season.

Rovers 1-0 down again, at home, to a team they had to beat, Yeovil. The fans were not happy, as many chanted for Little to leave and many booed at half time when the whistle was blown.

At half time, Brian Little worked wonders with the Rovers team. He for once made a substitution (or two!) bringing Calvin Zola for Steven Jennings and Sammy Aiston for Paul Linwood, as Rovers went 4-3-3, with McAteer, Harrison and Aiston in midfield.

These two substitutions changed the game. Zola chased down every ball, as he always does, giving 110%. Because of his height, the opposition had to put two players on him every time the ball was pumped forward which is a good tactic, much like Peter Crouch does for Liverpool, leaving one striker, tonight Chris Greenacre, unmarked.
Then Sammy Aiston, who twisted and turned through the Yeovil defence, turning them inside out. He aswell put in 110% and the two of them together changed the game.

It took Tranmere just 10 minutes to find an equaliser, as Chris Greenacre netted his first goal in the league since October, and Tranmere got their first goal at the Kop end in the league since September.

Jason McAteer took a quick free-kick and found Chris Greenacre. The former Stoke striker turned his marker and shot high past Collis into the roof of the net. Rovers were level, and Greenacre had got his tenth of the season.

Rovers had the momentum now, and even Danny Harrison got in on the shooting action. After brilliant work from Calvin Zola, the tall striker layed the ball back to Harrison who had his shot blocked on it's way to the goal.

After some terrible decisions from the referee, who missed some blatent pushes and pulls from Yeovil, he finally gave a soft free-kick to Rovers.

Gareth Roberts took it, and a thunder-bolt of a free-kick hit the cross bar and could have crossed the line. Not to worry, the ball fell to Calvin Zola, who netted his second of the season and his second in two games for him.

Next game the best goal of them all. Steve Davies won a crunching tackle on half way and ran with the ball for 25 yards. He curled a wonderful cross into the path of Chris Greenacre who was coming into the penalty area like a steam train.

Davies' pass was inch perfect, as was Greenacre's wonderful finish. He met the ball with the deftest of touches and it rolled past Collis into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal.

3-1 and Rovers were flying high. However, Yeovil still pressed forward and it looked as if he they could back into the game.

However, Yeovil couldn't muster the strength to trouble Steve Wilson, and it was infact Rovers who got the next goal.

After a weaving run through the Yeovil defence, Sammy Aiston carved a ball through the defence straight to Chris Greenacre. Greenacre angled his shot past Collis to net his 12th of the season and to grab his first hatrick for Tranmere Rovers.

A brilliant second half performance after a lack-luster and possibly slightly unlucky first half for Rovers. Credit where it is due for Brian Little, who's attacking substitutions at half time worked a treat and completely changed the game. For once, he did not leave his substitutions too late but made them at half time, and they both left their mark on the game.

One little complaint I have is about the Tranmere fans who were chanting for Little to leave at half time but he was then the best thing this club have ever seen with 10 minutes to go. Very like when Steve Wilson suddenly turned into a hero for them over 10 minutes at Walsall after their hatred for him. Please get behind the lads, and results will improve.

Jones' Man Of The Match: Well, can I give the award for tonight's game to Brian Little? No? Ok, I'll give it to Steve Davies. The Birthday Boy had a special game the night before his Birthday, providing Greenacre's second goal and in general having a fantastic game, all round. The only thing missing was a Davies goal.

I must finally mention the return of Jason McAteer. After two months out, McAteer returned to the side and was brilliant. He had a huge effect on the side and ran the midfield, much like Mark Rankine has done of late.

C

championship_here_we_come

Matthew The Rover said:
One little complaint I have is about the Tranmere fans who were chanting for Little to leave at half time but he was then the best thing this club have ever seen with 10 minutes to go.

i think if you sat in the kop which i know you dont you would notice thier are two sets of fans:

1) the ones who sing little out and rightly so after all we havent won at home for four months until now

2) the ones who ocassionally stick up for him when we are winning

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
MoTM - Chis Greenacre, does what strikers are supposed to do, practically nothing all game but still score a hat-trick.

Honourable mentions - Steve Davies, picked himself up after that crunching challenge at half-way and had the determination and positivity to take the ball forwards and make something useful happen, and that was representative of his game on the whole. Sam Aiston, worked his socks off as always and his mazy runs kept Yeovil pinned back.

Poor shows - Mike Jackson, lucky to not get sent off for handball and just didn't look up with the pace of the game really. Would have preferred Linwood to stay on despite the penalty being his fault because he could at least catch up to people. Steve Wilson, for not even getting close to the penalty, and we were fortunate that Yeovil didn't catch on that any shot on target would probably beat him.

Stinker - Brian Little, don't know how he's kept his job this long it beggars belief. If he's as smart as his fans say then how did he get it so dreadfully, dreadfully wrong in the first half (AGAIN)?

A

AndyRoo16

4 goals i cnt believe it!!! :D :D :D
After a poor first half Little actually made some sensible changes....
as i always say "why ddnt Aiston start?".....
well he came on second half and proved useful with his usual array of runs.....
a lil luck at last was not at all vital as we displayed what we could have been producing all season.......GOALS...4 of em :D
Greenacre when given chances took themand my MotM.....
when Facey returns from injury u wud think we were invincible :lol:
4-1....4 points 2 games :)

ei ei ei o UP the football league we go!!!! :D

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
AndyRoo16 said:
ei ei ei o UP the football league we go!!!! :D

Haha :lol:

It actually turned out well for Little in the end.
The problem with Little is that he's far too negative.

He really didn't need to start with Jackson, Sharps and Linwood. In the precarious position we are in, the man is being ultra cautious, but like I mention, a defeat at home to Yeovil, the guys hanging on by a thread.

I think really, he had no choice but to change it. His defensive tactics weren't working, and he's desperate. I honestly think if it was a draw or we had been in front, he wouldn't have changed anything, even though, I think most of us could see that Yeovil really were a team ready to be beat.

And surprise, surprise, look what happened. He became more positive and attack-minded and we scored 4 bloody goals! If he doesn't learn any lessons from this game, he seriously needs help. :roll:

Player
Johnny Morrissey
First half - atrocious, we want Little OUT! Gave away a clumsy penalty.

Second half - positive, attacking, 4 goals! There's only 1 Brian Little!!! :lol: How fickle we all are!

From the beginning it was looking like another of those games where we play terrible and lose...again! And when we gave away a silly penalty which we all knew Willo would not get anywhere near, it looked like it could be a long frustrating evening.

But 2 positive changes, and 2 good performances from those 2 players changed the course of the game. It gave us width, drive and ambition going forward which was non-existant in the first half.

MOTM: Greenacre is the obvious choice, so I will choose Zola! :lol:

evo_trfc

Made the long trip up last night and thought what a waste of money at 1/2 time. But when zola and aiston came on what a difference it made. It goes to show just how well we play when we attack teams.
Zola was brilliant. Best goal was the third brilliant tackle by davies and beautifull cross to greenacre

Good Second half performance
lets see if little sticks with this 4-3-3

B

Banana Army

Wahay, ive been to 2 home matches this season and we've won both of them and none that i havent been too. Time to give up the saturday job and move up to birkenhead i think.

Zola, Greenacre were awesome and really looked lively, i actually thought jacko hada good game and was a good captain and Aiston was tireless in his work. In the first half Francis looked our best player solid at the back and frequently going on runs and getting into good positions.

Davies was brilliant a really strong performance in his supposedly weaker position, but MotM for me would have to be Gareth Roberts. Never put a foot wrong solid at the back, some lovely passing and crosing and really commanded the forward play, started nearly every attacking move. Outstanding and his free kick was something extraordinary as well. I see we've adopted southaptons tactics with Beatties free kicks. As long as macateer is the one infront of the ball im happy.

Ratings (Overall, not just Second Half):

Wilson - 5 - Poor attempt atthe penalty and distribution was so slow.
Francis - 7 - Best player in the first half a little quieter in the seond at the switch of formation but solid never the less.
Jackson - 7 - I thought was solid throughout. Lacked a little pace but captained the side well and was a rock at the back
Sharps - 6 - Made some good tackles but was slow and at fault for the only real yeovil chance of the 2nd half where cohen thought the aim of the game was to hit the corner flag.
Linwood - 6 - At fault for the penalty and didnt really know who to mark for crosses or dead ball situations, but put in a few very good tackles.
*Roberts - 9 - Never put a foot wrong really and his vision started many a tranmere move and looked deadly over a dead ball situation. MotM
Jennings - 5 - Poor performance, looked crowded out in the midfield by our own players and couldnt find that telling pass or find much space.
McAteer - 7 - - Looked solid in the centre of the park in both halves but in the second half managed to have a bit more play. Caught in possesion once or twice but overall his return was a good and inspirational one.
Harrison - 6 - Quiet and uneffective in the first half, but looked a lot better in the second half and ldefinately preffered the 4-4-2 formation finding dome good space at times as well.
Greenacre - 9 - A real strikers performance. Quiet in the first half but found some space very well in the seond half and took his goals very well. Can't fault a striker who scores a hatrick really.
Davies - 8 - Looked Ok in the first half was the better of the front two but then really excelled down the left in the second half. He took players on, and had a nice mixture of cutting inside and putting balls in the middle. Good performance by the youngster and knowing our luck wont be at Prenton park for too much longer.

------------------------------------------------Subs--------------------------------------------------------

Zola - 8
- Came on and effectively turned the game on its head. SOme exquisite(sp?) play for a man of his size and really looked a danger in the air and on the ground. Good all round performance.
Aiston - 7 - Played the second half cameo role very well and really caused a tired Yeovil defence problems. Went on some mazy runs and his play for Greenacre's third was top notch.
Tremarco - N/A - No time to impress or dissapoint butinterestingly placed as the tenacious midfielder in the middle of the park.

DixieDean

first half. Shockingly bad. How can a manager get it sooooo wrong?

Playing at home against an average side. Why oh why play 3 centre backs and 3 uncreative central midfielders? Basically leaving any creativity to the 2 wingbacks. It just made no sense at all.

Anyone with half a brain could see what was needed and thankfully someone (perhaps it was Rover?) must have suggested to Brian that he bring on a couple of attack minded players. Aiston and Zola were ideal.

No team likes players running at them and that is what our two subs are best at. Zola has improved so much since last season. He now has purpose to his play. He knows what he's going to do with it now and his increased weight/strength is helping him too. It's just a pity he will probably end up on the bench once Delroy is fit.

Superb hat-trick from Greenacre. His 1st and 3rd strikes were top drawer.
Roberts deserved a goal for his endeavour and he was unlucky when his rasper came back off the crossbar. Zola was on hand to tap it home though.

In summary I'd say the lads got Brian out of jail in the second half. His team choice and tactics in the first half would make someone as inept as Carlton Palmer look like a maestro. Seriously, how can a manager get it so wrong?

It seems crazy that we are still criticising after such an easy win, but a better side would have put the game out of our reach in the first half and then no amount of subs would have got us back into it.....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If you read the news story on the main page, it sounds as if Brian wont be switching to the successful 4-4-2 formation any time soon.

"I don't think we deserved to be 1-0 down at half-time. We had set ourselves up to be solid with a 3-5-2 formation and I don't think we did anything wrong except concede the penalty. We had our chances but didn't take them.

"But at half-time, we had to make a change and try something different. This time the gamble paid off for us because on a number of occasions this season it hasn't."

](*,) ](*,)

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
After Yeovil went 1-0 up I thought itll be another miserable night here at prenton park, I thought yeovil might win 2-0, 1st half we were poor but saying that yevil wernt that good.

second half what team talk we must havehad we were brilliant, great to watch and an enjoybale night I havent left prentonpark with a smile on my face like that in ages.

MOTM- Without a doubt Greenacre, not only for his hat trick but kept his head up in the first half and still made good runs and acted like a defender at times.

Bring on Vale!

C

ChiefRich

Will Little have learnt a lesson from the second half! That is near enough our strongest team out there. When Facey comes back, it will provide some competition and have 4 playing for 3 positions, which is good incentive for them. Jennings as a centre mid instead of Harrison and we probably have it.

Getting the negatives out of the way, it seems that many here think Jackson was the worst defender. I definitely thought it was Linwood. It might be faster but I think he is awful at reading the game (Jackson is a little bit better in this regard!), and that he is not a good tackler or passer (again Jackson is only a little bit better in these areas).

The first half was rubbish because of the awful tactics. The second half was good because of the better tactics. Will Little have learnt a lesson from this, as I ask before. Here's some he could do with learning after at last playing some good tactics.

+ Aiston: the only player anywhere near good enough to play on the right wing. LESSON FOR LITTLE: play him!

+ 3 centre-backs at home against team low in table: makes the crowd negative, means little creativity (especially as no creative midfielder). LESSON FOR LITTLE: play 2!

+ Roberts: is a left back capable of attacking well but generally on the overlap from his best position. LESSON FOR LITTLE: Roberts = a/the left back

+ 2nd half: I know that Yeovil are far from the best, but if the 11 who played out there start next home match and play like that, our home form will improve dramatically. LESSONS FOR LITTLE: (1) to win, you have to attack. (2) confidence in your team leads to success

Doubtless there are more that I can't think of off the top of my head 2 days later.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Aye I sure hope thius a lesson learnt to stop using negetive tactics.

B

Banana Army

ChiefRich said:
+ Aiston: the only player anywhere near good enough to play on the right wing. LESSON FOR LITTLE: play him!

You know i disagree there. Every one has been complaining about his lack of ability to last the final 30 or so minutes of a game, so why not start conventionally with Jenno or davies on the right, and then bring Aiston on in the second half. That way it would be better as the tired legs o the defence would struggle to contain aiston, where as when they are fresh they could stall his natural ability to attack defenders.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
First of all, delighted that you're posting again ChiefRich, it's good to be reading your thoughts again. And for the most part I fully agree with your comments, particularly about the fact that he must now start with the formation and players that won the second half for us. However,

ChiefRich said:
the worst defender. I definitely thought it was Linwood. It might be faster but I think he is awful at reading the game (Jackson is a little bit better in this regard!), and that he is not a good tackler or passer (again Jackson is only a little bit better in these areas).
I have to disagree with you there. It's fair to say that Linwood has hardly been a regular at centre-back, so he is still lacking first team experience to an extent but most of all lacking that comforting, fit-together sense you get from a player who has an extended run in the first team. I think that in addition to natual pace, that technically when it comes to passing and tackling with either foot he IS better than all the rest, and as you say it's his reading of the game that is slightly behind (what let him down when conceding the penalty last game for instance). That reading of the game would I'm sure improve with more games. Thinking back, he's played only occasionally in the first team, and most of those games have been at right-back, then Brian sent him out on loan.

Putting faith in Linwood partnered with Sharps as a centre-back pairing would not be mis-placed, or at least that's my opinion.

C

ChiefRich

Banana Army said:
why not start conventionally with Jenno or davies on the right, and then bring Aiston on in the second half. That way it would be better as the tired legs o the defence would struggle to contain aiston, where as when they are fresh they could stall his natural ability to attack defenders.

Good point well made! But I do think that Jenno is very poor on the right wing! Davies might be a better bet perhaps, or Delroy. A four-pronged attack with Davies on the left, Facey on the right and Zola and Greenacre up front! Very positive but when we're on the ball we'd be unstoppable!!!!!!! (Perhaps)

NBDH said:
First of all, delighted that you're posting again ChiefRich, it's good to be reading your thoughts again.

Thanks.
I've been reading the posts with interest throughout, but not really been able to get to (m)any games so have had little to add to everyone else's posts. I was too frustrated after Brentford to add anything constructive!

NBDH said:
Putting faith in Linwood partnered with Sharps as a centre-back pairing would not be mis-placed, or at least that's my opinion.

If this is to continue, hopefully I'm wrong! I have seen Linwood a couple of times. He had a good game at right back against Blackpool at the start of the season; he was ok against Oldham at right back a few days later. Whenever I've seen him at centre-back he doesn't seem to have much confidence at all, and it showed against Yeovil in the way he passed, tackled etc.
Admittedly one thing that has happened recently has been the demise of Jackson from good (when he joined on loan) to mediocre (when he joined permanently) to poor (start of the season) to crap (recently). We do need a replacement for him. I'm not sure Linwood is up to it yet.