• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-1 Yeovil

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Took the lead through ellison before chris cohen equalised for them just before half time. We sounded brighter after half time and Mullin restored the lead on 54 mins. Gray hit the post for them and we missed a host of chances to put the game beyond doubt... Greenacre missed a one on one and hit the post... Stockdale missed a great chance and Gareth Taylor missed a couple. Sherriff also had a header from a shuker corner disallowed for pushing... contraversial i heard??

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Missed the first half, but the second half sounded very eventful. According to the commentator we could have scored 3 or 4 in the second half.

2-1 is a great result. 9th in the table is very acceptable after 4 games.

Was the attendance very low??

Already looking forward to Hull on Tuesday in the Cup.

Nice One!!!!! =D>=D>

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
The commentator said 6,000 odd, which is very poor but suppose some of our fans from Oldham would have gone to Everton instead. Although my cousin said it was more like 7,000-7,500 which is probably right as they always take a few off the official attendance.

C

championship_here_we_come

nope it was around the 6000 mark, will write up my views later gotta eat dinner now

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Satisfied with the win. Thought we could have have had a few more. Greenacre was unlucky, hit the post once and had a weak left footed shot saved. As was Sherriff who scored what looked like a perfectly legit goal only for the referee to rule it out as he was adjudged to have fouled one of their defenders as he rose.

Yeovil aren't a very skillful side at all, infact, they work quite hard but offer very little. I was never worried we were going to lose the game. It is good to see others chipping in with goals from other areas of the pitch.

We certainly weren't outstanding today, and there's still a lot of improvements to be made, but it's a good win and keeps us in a decent position.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A good game, which we deserved to edge on the 2nd half showing.

First half was mostly Yeovil and we were lucky to be level at half-time. Kevin Ellison ran onto a through ball and finished well, somewhat against the run of play at that time. Yeovil deservedly equalised when a cross from the right was finished clinically by Cohen who wasn't picked up running into the box. Their passing of the ball was better than Rovers tendency for head tennis, when it came to keeping possession.

Second half eventful, better for Rovers. McLaren replaced by Mcateer shortly after half-time, presumably through injury. Mullin released through a good ball from the right restored our lead. Thereafter, a near og from McCready, they hit the bar, Chris Greenacre fluffed a one-on-one and hit the post. Yeovil had used all their subs and were down to 10 men after an injury, for the final 10 minutes. Sherriff had the ball in the net, ruled out for a push, though my view just behind the ref and couldn't spot the infringement. We held on, but not comfortably.

The crowd a bit disappointing. Time of year, the weather, the small(100?) away following and perhaps the Everton match were factors. Liked the Yeovil fans, gave their team good support and didn't resort to stereotypical anti-scouse songs.

Lots of players did well, nobody head and shoulders above the rest. Thought Taylor had his best game so far, seemed to be fired up by some dodgy decisions from the ref. MoM Sherriff just, but could see an argument for about 6 others.

Ronnie didn't sound totally happy after the match on Radio Merseyside, but I enjoyed it. O:)

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Small crowd down to a) start of the prem season and more games on the telly, b) we were playing Yeovil who brought about 100 fans with them and c) it was pissing it down all day, horrible!

As for the game, thought we did ok first half, it was quite even, they deserved to go in on level terms to be fair, after creating a couple of decent chances. The only real chance we had was the goal, and a couple of dangerous crosses.

Second half was much better - created a lot more clear cut opportunities and in fairness should have won by more. Great goal by John Mullin, a lovely 3 man move with Stockdale, Shuker and Mullin finishing beautifully.

Greenacre was a bit rusty by the looks of things. First half he ran ragged without much success, not a sniff of a goal. Second half he had 2 superb chances - 1 hit to the wrong side (imo) and the keeper saved, and then unluckily hit the post.

Not sure why the "goal" was disallowed. Was in the Kop, so wrong end to say for sure, but looked a great header by Sheriff, their players didn't appeal, so what the ref saw, gawd knows. But the referee, as usual at Prenton Park, was abysmal.

All in all, a psoitive day. The defence looked more shaky than previous games, Goodison looked like he hadn't trained all week (which he hasn't) so wasn't as superb as in the last few games, and McCready looked a bit unsure of himself too. But Stockdale (who I thought was poor v Oldham) was superb, Mullin much improved and got forward to support the forwards well, and Ellison looked a bit more dangerous. Still unsure of Taylor though, don't like slagging players off, especially after just 3 views of him in a Tranmere shirt, but he looks a yard short of the pace of the game, had some efforts on goal when he just didn't get his timing right.

But lets not grumble, 3 pts, a better performance and the team seems to be gelling quite nicely. Bring on Tuesday night and Hull in the Cup.:-D

DixieDean

Joe_TRFC said:
Although my cousin said it was more like 7,000-7,500 which is probably right as they always take a few off the official attendance.

No they don't. It's illegal and there is no way they could hide it from the auditors. Unless of course your cousin is some kind of mathematical genius who can do a head count of 3 stands he can see and 1 that he can't.... :roll:

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
It may be illegal not to count paying supporters but they do not include the people who have complimentary tickets and don't pay to get in. I'm not going to say there was definitely more than 6,000 as I wasn't there but I think you can tell if there are 1,000 odd more than 6,000 there without doing a head count. At the end of the day 6,000 0r 7,000... disappointing whatever because for a club on the wirral which has a big population we should be getting well over 10,000 week in week out! Let's not get into that discussion anyway.

Player
Morrisey
My 1st of the season.

Taylor looked well off the mark. I could see what he was trying to do by knocking balls down for Greenacre, but wasn't successful. I thought the Greenacre looked o.k and I thought that he is looking like he is ready to explode, just needs to hit the net a few times to get going. shucker looked as though he was going to do something every time he got the ball but didn't. He did however link up with Stockdale very well and between them they put a ferw good balls in the box. Mullins is my MOTM as he worked tirelessly and was always winning the ball back and then looking to get forward. The whole set up looks good and in a few weeks time looks as though we will be a very strong force. I did get the impression that most of the players are not yet playing for the jersey, however the competition for the No.1 jersey seems to have made Ward realise that he has to start to play for the shirt and win the supporters over.

All in all the are signs of great things to come.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Greenacre's chance hit low to the bottom right wasn't 'fluffled' as someone wrote - he did everything right and stuck the ball well to the corner, their keeper got lucky and guessed the right way that's all. Yeovil impressed me throughout with their passing, particularly in the midfield but leaving aside their goal the end product seemed to be lacking for them. Their goal they hit us fast and hard on the break, and perhaps on another day both Goodison and McCready would have got away with being sucked to the same forward, or Stockdale would have got to the ball despite having to deal with two men alone. It was a good move by them and you can't complain too much when the goal you concede was scored in such a manner.

Ellison's goal was a beauty and you could tell he needed the confidence that scoring one would bring, so I'm delighted for him. Stuck just on the volley with the left foot low and hard without leaning backwards, straight under the onrushing goalkeeper... right in front of the Kop. Now that's a good way to get your first Tranmere goal. Hopefully the first of many.

Taylor did really really well all game, he's definitely one of our better players there's no two ways about it. Basically their defenders decided they'd rather have a wrestling match than play football - but despite the repeated unfair attention he won almost all the headers and brought our guys into the play further upfield, which is precisely what he's in the team to do. And don't get me started on the ref who awarded them a free kick for a gesture made by Taylor to indicate he'd just been elbowed twice in the head (which everyone in the ground saw apart from the officials apparently) ... really I mean a free kick for a gesture!?!? I'd never even heard of such a thing let alone seen it. W***er of a referee.

Stockdale is indeed looking a lot sharper and fitter than previously, but still not quite 100% there. Hopefully better still to come from him.

Biggest blunder of the match was by Goodison, backing off and backing off when he was the last man, backing off so much he fell over backwards and their forward just dribbled the ball over him. Only allowed myself to laugh after the danger had passed but really Goodison's such a puzzle - one minute he'll do something composed, then something remarkably good (but unnecessary), and the next moment he'll completely stuff up and become a total liability. So perhaps he's not an entirely different person from the Ian Goodison of last season as we'd thought, since the passing to the other team and the odd daft mistake are still there - but thankfully they haven't cost us yet. Despite that blunder he was still a candidate for man of the match as the collective effort of the defence he was a central part of didn't seem too troubled by Yeovil's forward players.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
So perhaps he's not an entirely different person from the Ian Goodison of last season as we'd thought, since the passing to the other team and the odd daft mistake are still there - but thankfully they haven't cost us yet.

Maybe he got extra attention from Ronnie at the start of the season when he was working with the defence and really performed. And now he's concentrating on the attacking game, Goody may have got a bit sleepy.

I hope I'm wrong :?:

Player
Morrisey
The problem with Greenacre's shot which was saved was that he hit it with his left foot and didn't quite get the desired pace on the ball. For a striker it was a bit of a weak shot but he did do everything right. The ref was appauling.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

I get the same feeling as most people on here. Small attendence, scrappy game, poor ref(again) but we won and that's good because that's 2 out of 2 at home. The performance could of been a bit better but we all know we have a large number of new players dont feel we have clicked as a team yet if you get me but we seem to get stronger game by game and I feel we will start to win games convincingly soon because we are starting to click abit and training seems to be more intense.

S

slawlane

Thought Gavin Ward Was Solid Today, Pulled Off Two Impressive saves which were goal-bound, the 1st one was the mis-hit clearance deflection off Goodison were it was heading for the net, and the 2nd was the best of the afternoon, were yeovil struck a shot and just the minor of touches from Ward helped the ball onto the post. He is definately battling for that shirt, he seems more at home than Achterberg, which was emphasised second half were he rallied the kop.

Goodison's certainley improved since last season, now he's playing in his prefered position, although he has a minority of dodgy touches, but overall he's solid. Not too impressed with Stockdale or Taylor, but hey its early days. We can perform better than our Yeovil performance, just hope we gel stronger soon.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I've got a horrible feeling Taylor is one of those players who doesn't get the credit he deserves. As a striker, he's going to be judged on goals, and too be honest, I don't think he's going to get a great deal of them. His game is in holding the ball and bringing others into play. He's not a poacher. Horrible feeling in the way that people will quickly jump on his back because he isn't scoring and will not appreciate the work he does with the ball. I hope I'm wrong..

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
If you want promotion; to even be in with a chance, you've got to win your home games.

Two down, 21 to go.