• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-1 Stockport

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Edds and Moore with 2nd half goals before Stockport got one back with last kick of the game. Sounded like a really good performance... Could have won by more. Dominated throughout and Stockport only had one chance all game bar their goal. Moore's was a penno... our 1st penno of the season.

Player
Goodison
A very good performance, better than against Carlise. Goodison and Jennings were excellent, Moore, Edds, Shuker and Shotton also had very good games. I think we may have just stumbled across a first choice XI.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Really good game, performance and result.

After a slightly worrying start, in which Stockport had us penned back for a bit and got a few corners in, we managed to turn it around and played some really good football, keeping posession in the right areas and creating some good chances along the way.

Going into half time at 0-0 I was worried that we'd take a while to start playing at the same tempo and with the same fluency in the second half, but we got out of the blocks quickly and Edds did well with his header to make it 1-0. This is the point at which, in previous seasons, we would quite predictably retreat back towards our own goal whilst half an hour of pressure ensued but, impressively, we managed to keep going and continued to plough men forward in search of a second, keeping posession and pinning them back in their own half. Having had a perfectly legitimate penalty disallowed in the first half, Moore made sure of the win by tucking away from the spot in the second. Did anyone else see his celebration? ****ing brilliant stuff.

Shuker was brilliant in his free role in behind Moore, and Stockport had no idea how to deal with his movement and craft. Moore himself had another great game and clearly was out to prove a point against his old club. Shotton and Goodison were excellent at the back, whilst Jennings put in a performance of the quality he was consistantly achieving last season. Sonko was same old, as was Edds by and large, but Barnett impressed me again on the left. He's a really clever, thoughtful player and did at times did good job defensivley too - I think people need to remember that apart from his handful of appearences this season, he's only ever experienced reserve team football. First team football is a big step up, especially when you're playing out of position, so I think he's doing well.

Also, I think we owe a lot of thanks to tonight's officials. They were absoloutely terrible - really, really, bad - but the unfair treatment we recieved in the first half hour really got the crowd and the players fired up, and we channelled our frustration in the right way.

We're going great guns at home now, and with this new formation working well, here's to hoping we go to Crewe intending to put a few past them rather than grinding a 0-0. They threw away a 2-0 lead tonight away at Posh tonight, which should further compound their lack of confidence ahead of the game.

Credit to Ronnie and the players for a great match.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Another really good showing, lots of effort, endeavour and no lack of quality either, really pleased with how we're curreently playing. Only downside was the last kick of the game to concede that goal.Increasingly worried with Coyne in goal. A ball delivered into the 6 yard box, middle of the goal, should be the keeeper's every time and he didn't look like he got anywhere near it.

Impressed with Moore, Shukes, Barnett but Jenno MOTM for me, he was immense everywhere. Covered every part of the pitch, defensively got back and made tackles and won the ball back. Attacking wise he got forward and had a few shots on target and created chances for others.

Lets hope we can transfer the home form away from PP. [-o<

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with most of what SonkORLY? says, so there's no point repeating it. But I would just like to highlight two points you made, as I think they are important.

The first:
This is the point at which, in previous seasons, we would quite predictably retreat back towards our own goal whilst half an hour of pressure ensued but, impressively, we managed to keep going and continued to plough men forward in search of a second, keeping posession and pinning them back in their own half.
Completely agree. And I've seen in the last two games a drive and determination to get more goals! It's been great to watch.

Secondly:
Shuker was brilliant in his free role in behind Moore, and Stockport had no idea how to deal with his movement and craft.
Shuker has been a different player these last two games. Most of the moves have involved him. His movement, energy and vision has been wonderful to watch. Looks like a completely different player and I'd say he's more efffective playing the free role than he is stuck out wide.

I was impressed with the defence, they looked solid, glad to have Shotton back in there. His replacements were poor in comparison.

Jennings was superb as well. I dont often say that about Jennings, but he had a great game.

Worst player: Sonko - complete waste of time, again! How can you have a winger who has an awful first touch and can't take on players?!

Nevertheless, these game have been great to watch and let's hope for more of the same in February when I hope more supporters turn up to support the SWA. Not far off that top six place now.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Listened to the second half on the internet and sounded like we really bossed the game....important thing for me is that our two games in hand can now see us in to six place!!