• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-1 Luton

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Great win for Rovers! Thought it was going to be one of those nights when we kept missing chances. Their goal after 6 mins sounded a bit contraversial as Derek Jones on commentary said the linesman put his flag up but the ref gave the goal anyway. Curran and Kay were brought on and both scored. Sounded like another example of being in the right place and finishing well from Curran and made up for Kay to get his 1st goal and stake a place. Sounded like a good header too. There are some good signs from us this season as against Brighton we were poor but ground out the win... at Yeovil we carried on til the final whistle and nicked a point with last kick of the game and tonight we came from behind. All things that last season we really struggled to do! Made up with the win and one more thing... WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE! WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE! For a few hours at least anyway! SWA!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A great feeling looking at the league one table. When were we last top of any league? Must be at least ten years ago.

Again, the last quarter hour made the difference. That's six points we've gained in the last fifteen minutes so far this season (and two lost against Leeds). Compare that to last season.

And well done Ian and nomur with your correct predictions.

Player
Liam Palmer
We deserved it for keeping battling away. We had chances throughout, although Luton did look the more slick throughout. Curran's goal came from a defensive blunder but he was onto it in a flash and finished well. Kay's header from Sheriff's long free-kick was superb - a real bullet.

Much of the game looked and felt like last season - however players like Chorley, Kay and Curran seemed to have given the side a bit of steel and belief.

Davies, Stockdale and Shuker all had decent games, Sheriff was unlucky not to score with a first-half header. Oh aye, and Danny Coyne, three top-class saves - probably MoM for that.

Decent game, decent result - and top of the league!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
And well done Ian and nomur with your correct predictions.

I'm back from the pub after celebrating our win, and what a win it was. Coming from a goal down at home has shown the fighting spirit that we need to get out of this league, but we all know it's early days yet.

To be honest I won't take credit for the prediction, but what I always thought was if you bring curran on, the boy will score. Simple as that. I've just read Ronnie's post match comments and he's praising Gareth Taylor for pulling through an injury to play tonight and how well he played. I was only listening to the match commentary so I can't make a well formed opinion, but from what I heard, Taylor was the same as always. Curran should be given much more of a chance. I think he deserves it, and I think Ronnie's afraid to give him a full game. Why?

Correct me if I'm wrong please.

We Are Top Of The League! And Orient have to go to Yeovil tomorrow which won't be easy! Let's see if we can keep the away form going against Cheltenham next weekend!

This made my Friday night. i'm now drunk and off to bed!

SWA, SWA, SWA!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Firstly I've never broken anything more than a finger, so I'm not one to talk, but from everything I've heard, broken ribs hurt like hell. Forget laughing, coughing, bending, stretching, or breathing deeply because it's going to hurt. Apparently broken ribs hurt more and longer than broken collarbones or a fractured shoulder.

Now having not done those myself I don't know and do not wish to know - but the point is that Taylor, by agreeing to play while injured, has shown his commitment and determination. Two qualities we all too often moan about a lack of. How highly you rate him as a player aside, you want a man like that around the dressing room, someone who will put himself forward to play despite broken bones.

We're top of the league as I'm writing this and so there must be something right with the atmosphere in the team. Ultimately the manager takes credit for that, just as he would be the one responsible if the atmosphere was poor.

Player
Liam Palmer
I am not the world's greatest Taylor fan, but I thought he battled away really well last night. It's easy to pick on him - big, slow, ungainly, misses chances like no-one else (two sitters last night) BUT - he's always available, he's the focal point of our attacking play most of the time (rightly or wrongly) and last night he was a mile better than Greenacre, who was anonymous all night. Yet.... Taylor gets all the stick last night and St. Chrissy gets none. After he went off we got worse actually - it was only their generousity at the back which allowed Curran to equalise.

Bottom line is Taylor probably played through a lot of pain (broken ribs are hell), give him another chance - given Zola's injury record, Taylor is going to be playing a lot for us this season - so let's give him SUPPORT!

Taylor - a target man, not a target.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Guys, you're right I'm sorry. I should have taken that more into consideration. And NBDH you're right, we do need that kind of team spirit and example around the dressing room.

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
well said tartan. i think he gets a lot of unfair stick. ok, he may not be the quickest or the best finisher but he puts himself about and will work for the team. now, the game. the biggest difference between luton and us last night in the first half at least was their number 7 who seemed to be everywhere. i'm still not sure about their goal either as the linesman definitely put his flag up and it was only when the luton players crowded round him that he awarded the goal. After that for the first half we were solid. not spectacular but solid and that is what we need to be against some of the supposed bigger teams. second half we came out with a bit more belief and started to take the game to luton. we had a couple of breaks where we really should have scored but for one reason or another it just didnt happen. when curran scored, the mentality seemed to be 'just go for it' and kay has certainly made his case for a starting place with last night. i dont think anyone really stood out last night (except maybe coyne for his saves), it was just a fantastic team performance and hopefully it carries on throughout the season.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
What a great result and fantastic to see us sit top of the league. If Yeovil win by less than three goals that's where we'll stay too!!!

Big difference for me this season is our resillience. Like someone mentioned earlier that's three games where we've battled till the last few minutes to get the win. In my 20 odd years of following Tranmere can't think of many seasons when we have shown that!!

It's early days but now we're top that should give us great confidence!!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Excellent result, still buzzing from last night, it's brilliant! But lest we forget that the perfromance was pretty dire before Curran came on and yet again changed the game in our favour. I'm a little worried how much we're relying on this 17 year old kid, but he's good enough for sure.

The atmosphere was great, and yes Taylor did get a bit of stick, we didn't realise how injured he was, but the fact is, fit or unfit, he's pretty useless in front of goal. He holds the ball up quite well, and can bring our Shuker and Davies and like into the game, but he couldnt hit a barn door with a banjo, and thats not just based on last nights performance. Credit to him for putting himself through the pain barrier though - I'm sure deep down we all appreciate his fighting spirit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, what a way to finish! The game wasn't great for 80 minutes was it? We mustered some chances, which were wasted. I honestly couldnt see us scoring last night. Like Joe mentined, I thought it was just going to be one of those nights.

Then Ronnie made the subs and the game changed from us not being able to score to scoring two within a few minutes.

I understand what NBDH is saying about Taylor, and credit to him for playing with that injury but why doesnt he just play Curran instead?

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
When Craig has started games he's struggled to make an impression. He's quick, sure enough but lacks strength and experience, so the better centre halves will always be able to marshal him. So Craig at this stage of his career is most useful to us as a super-sub, coming on to terrorise already tired defenders with a different style of play than they've had to deal with up until that point in the game. This means he's a very useful and important player for us, but also means the other forwards who do the leg work for the first 60 to 70 minutes are very important too.

If Taylor and Zola were out again, as I see it, the only other real option would be switch Davies to centre forward, Shukes to the left and bring either Jones or Curran on to play wide right. This makes sense to me, as we've always tried to play with little and large up front - that has been proven time and time again to be the most effective.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
What a great result and fantastic to see us sit top of the league. If Yeovil win by less than three goals that's where we'll stay too!!!

Big difference for me this season is our resillience. Like someone mentioned earlier that's three games where we've battled till the last few minutes to get the win. In my 20 odd years of following Tranmere can't think of many seasons when we have shown that!!

It's early days but now we're top that should give us great confidence!!

Yep, that was me last week ;-)

http://whitereview.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=14767&postcount=13

Another GREAT result last night, I was watching the Rugby (why?) and kept flicking to the scores on Teletext, getting more and more despondent at the prospect of dropping 3 points at home.

Went upstairs, put the computer on to check the forum and read some match reports, and we'd only gone and nicked it 2-1 :-o

Another battling performance and a result that's only going to raise our confidence levels. Hopefully results will go our way this afternoon and we'll stip be top this evening.

COME ON ROVERS =D>

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
When Craig has started games he's struggled to make an impression. He's quick, sure enough but lacks strength and experience, so the better centre halves will always be able to marshal him. So Craig at this stage of his career is most useful to us as a super-sub, coming on to terrorise already tired defenders with a different style of play than they've had to deal with up until that point in the game. This means he's a very useful and important player for us, but also means the other forwards who do the leg work for the first 60 to 70 minutes are very important too.

If Taylor and Zola were out again, as I see it, the only other real option would be switch Davies to centre forward, Shukes to the left and bring either Jones or Curran on to play wide right. This makes sense to me, as we've always tried to play with little and large up front - that has been proven time and time again to be the most effective.

Dead right NeverBeat. My Dad's always moaning that Curran doesn't start but you've hit the nail on the head there.

Craig Curran Super-Sub, our very own Soskjaer :lol:

Player
Goodison
A great result, although the first half was poor - too much long ball. Luton passed the ball around with much more pace than us, but we created more chances. Playing Taylor was pointless, hes got a broken rib, he encourages too much long ball, he cant finish and rarely scores. What message does that send to Curran if he scores against Carlisle but is replaced by a 34 year old with a broken rib.

Thankfully he came on and turned the game for us with a great strike, I would love to see him start and Kay ,who I would play ahead of Chorley with a looping header. NBDH isnt talking much sense when he talks about Curran stuggling to make an impression whens he started. Hes only started 3 times, once out of postion against Scunthorpe, the other against Yeovil and Brentford. He didnt score against Scunthorpe (Out of posistion I know he can play midfield but hes clearly a striker) or Yeovil I didnt see that so I cant comment on his performance and he scored a hat trick against Brentford. You cant say he struggles to make an impression when he starts, when hes only started 3 games! Also why would you play Davies as a forward - he cant finish, hes a bit like Roberto Carlos he takes 20 shots for every 1 goal. And why not let Curran terroise the defenders from the start and not just the last 20 minutes.

Solksjaer was only a super sub becasue he was never fit enough to start!

Zola looks like hes not going to stop picking up injuries - his body shape is all wrong according to Les Parry. His legs arent strong enough for his body. So give Curran a good run in the first team and see what happens.

T

The Golden Aldo Era

Roverstillidie, quite clearly you lack a few brain cells or some sort of common sence about football, ''according to Les Parry...'' where exactly did you hear that, stop pretending to be know it all when you don't know jack!! Seeing as I am in close contact with the bloke on a weekly basis, I know what he does and doesn't say about our players, and what you've just posted is a totally unprofound and blatent lie, why just make up that comment, FACT Calvin is one of the strongest players on our team, and i don't see how ''his legs aren't strong enough for his body'' could be true, because surely the guy wouldn't actually be able to walk, let alone sprint like the wind blows....? Funnily enough it's quite possible that with a torn hamstring so his legs might not exactly be at their peak, hence why he hasn't been able to run properly for the last 4 weeks, but don't lie about what people are saying, you clearly know nothing about any physical condition of our players, because if you did you wouldn't make such stupid flippent comments!!
As for another of your rediculous comments on another wall about Mike Newell taking over, who exactly is your contact, because I practically sit next to Lorraine Rogers, and funnily enough I speak to her pretty frequently, and every time I speak to her or Tony Adams, they both seem to be very pleased with Ronnie, and Newell hasn't even been spotted anywhere round the club, i doubt he'd exactly be buying it in a week or two's time without viewing it!! For gods sake stop making up such utter bull you brainless bewt!
Anyway rant at the lesser brained supporters over, cracking result on Friday, totally agree with NBDH, Curran is an impact player, and funnily enough roverstillidie, on speaking to Les on Wednesday, he funnily enough said that Curran isn't physically ready for a full 90minutes of football, funny that eh - maybe thats why he's an impact player, being 18, 5ft 6 or whatever and built like a rake, he's fast but not exactly the finished article yet. Don't get me wrong, he's a game changer and a match winner, but he's not ready for a full game yet, end of!!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I feel the same about Curran at the moment. He started at Yeovil and struggled... No doubt i'm sure he will turn into one of if not our best player with a bit more experience but for the moment I think he is better coming off the bench and I think he knows it too and is happy with the situation for the time being.

Ally

Player
Aldo
Instead of having a go at each other about who did/didn't say what, shouldn't we all be united about the fact that Ronnie clearly made an excellent managerial decision in bringing on a player he knew was capable of changing the game? Curran is young, has made a good impression so far and his development should be undertaken with care, to ensure he makes progress without knackering himself.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Come on Ally, it wouldn't be a forum with us having a go at each other now and again. Only kidding, but at least it shows we have strong views about the youngster. Some would like to see him play more, others think he's too young. Although you make a fair point. Inspired substitutions by Ronnie!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Zola looks like hes not going to stop picking up injuries - his body shape is all wrong according to Les Parry. His legs arent strong enough for his body.
Cobblers.

Reminds me of a pre-season match, think it may have been the one against Lairds, where Zola slid for a ball and typically missed it by a mile, after that he ran around (walked) for a good minute or two with a leg of his shorts hiked up and one ass cheek out!! Anyway what struck me wasn't his pert black backside - the sight of which had most of the people near me doubled over with laughter - what I did really notice and has stuck in my mind, was the sheer size of the muscles on the upper part of his leg, normally covered by the shorts. His leg muscles are HUGE, now I know footballers do have big muscles in their legs and he's a big footballer, but they were massive. Perhaps roverstillidie has gotten mixed up, those legs are out of proportion, just the opposite way around to how he said.

Since Zola clearly hits the gym with a vengeance, perhaps his being so injury-prone is related to that. It's said that injuries are the body's way of telling you to stop what you're doing, alter your technique and redirect attention. I'd be interested in the nature of Zola's training programme, and it might be time to ban him from the gym and throw him into a swimming pool instead. Oh the image of Calvin doing a Rocky in the pool at Byrne Avenue baths. :lol: