• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-1 Brighton

S

slawlane

To sum up, awful match, filled with uninspiring players:
o Sherrif - Same as Blackpool match, slow and cant be arsed attitude.
o Goodison - He gradually looked bored and fustrated, hoofed any ball
o Shukes "I'd pay to watch him play"- Ronnie Moore....My arse, I'd pay to watch him cross a first time ball in.
o Stockdale - Plays like a school boy, never looks up, faggots out n hoofs the ball.
o Gavin Ward- Got the stick he deserved, pulled some good saves off but never commands his box and never comes out to collect, jeering him in 2nd half only worsensed matters, some "fans" are so naive! should just get on with it.

o Zola - Once again worked his socks off, chasing every ball, playin them across the floor, causing trouble for players, finishing needs to be improved but only player that looked determined for the 90 mins, much better than Taylor.
o Curran - Only 17? and does that for us, made up for him, changed the way we played, passing was precise, another reason why Taylor should be dropped, excited about his future. (Give it 2 years, gets regular 1st team football, then gets sold for an amount of money we never see spent)

2-1 didnt really reflect the game, they passed well in our half, we were diabolical! another home performance to forget, but its 3 points in the right direction! Millwall is a must win!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Have to agree in certain parts. Yes, the game was pretty poor up until the substitutions were made. Not so much Davies coming on for Ellison because they are as bad as each other, but the inspired sub of Curran replacing Shuker.

I don't think we should get carried away just yet, but at least for the moment, it was a great decision and some great work by the young lad. People say you can't play a team full of youngsters, this may be true but from what I saw, this youngster looked hungry and more up for the fight than any other player out there in a white shirt.

It was the same old monotonous play from Tranmere. Hoofing the ball up to Zola, without so much as a thought to play it on the floor and try and work up a good move in the middle or on the wings.

Brighton weren't great, another average team in this division, but they played the ball on the floor and looked slightly more productive.

The Tranmere side looked tired and almost ready for the summer hols. Nobody in the ground would have expected us to come back from a goal behind, why would they? it hasn't happened all season!

Slawlane's player reviews I would agree with. The backline looked jaded and hoofed almost every ball. Thommo didn't looked match fit, understandably, but managed OK.

Ellison was awful as per usual, Shuker was a lazy arse, as per usual and our central midfield dynamos Harrison and McLaren faded quickly from the game.

Zola worked hard, and although he frustrates at times, at least the lad gives it a go, shows effort and tries his best. All I ask for from players is to show effort. He was more effective than Taylor would have been, so glad to see him sitting on the bench for a change.

Greenacre didn't have much to do for the first 80 minutes.

So back to the subs. I couldn't believe when I saw Curran run onto the pitch. At last! Ronnie has seen sense and tried one of our young players. And boy did it make a difference.

First touch of the ball he sends it into the net sliding in at the back post from a Sherriff cross. Great poacher's goal, and was delighted for him. Their may have been a slight hint off offside but who cares. Goal was given.

Tranmere had 14 minutes to rescue the game. Brighton at this point had settled for the draw and spent the next 10 minutes wasting time.

However it wasn't until the ball ended up with Curran, who fed it nicely into Greenacre's path that we had a real chance of winning. Greenacre dribbled the ball into the area and was tripped just inside the area. The referee had no hesitation and gave the penalty.

Slotted away by Greenacre for his 19th this season and still hope of reaching 20+ goals.

And that was it. The whistle blew and Tranmere won the game. Both teams looked shocked, none more so than the home team and supporters. Sickener for Brighton as well as they weren't under a great deal of pressure throughout the game.

Well done lads, on coming back from a goal behind and winning. It may be all too late for play-off hopes, but it was an enjoyable end of the game and whilst there is still a chance, there is still hope.

Away to Millwall on Saturday. That would need to be a great performance to get a result. What are the chances?!?

Player
Johnny Morrissey
The expression too little too late springs to mind. But nice to see us win, but in truth the whole pattern of play, we didn't really deserve to. Brighton looked a half decent side, especially first half and caused us a few problems. Their goal though was poor defending, again, Thommo headed back to their player, Stockdale was way out of position and Goodi shot home!

But overall, our play was so poor. Monotonous was a word Ian used and I'd agreed, but it was so slow. Waiting for things to happen instead of making things happen themselves.

Which was why the introduction of young Curran was inspired. Just the way he ran onto the pitch, showed an enthusiasm, desire to play and pace and commitment that was sadly lacking from his senior colleagues. The first action he sprinted into the box and got on the end of a great cross, something which neither Ellison or Shuker looked like doing all season long (pretty much). Made up for the lad, and his involvement got the crowd going (so few of us) and lifted the whole team to push FORWARDS.

And I think Curran was involved again down the right in the move that led to the penalty too. And then Greenacre's 19th of the season. Good win in the end, considering we've come from behind (at last) to win at least once this season now! But fans chanting 'we are goin up' - get real - 7 points behind with 4 games to go, away to Crewe and Millwall, and we've still got Scunny to play too - no chance of the play offs I'm afraid, and all the teams above us continue to pick up points so lets be realistic, it was nice to win but it's another season in this dreadful division for us. Srry to bring everyone back to earth!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
It would take a miracle for us to get into the play offs. Just give the youngsters a bit of experience and try and end the season on high is what i'm hoping for. A poor game in my opinion. As much as we were bad Brighton hardly ripped us apart did they? So pleased for Curran to score and with his 1st touch as well but lets not expect this every week just yet from the lad. That's if Ronnie gives him a chance anyway. Another goal for Greenacre... bit of a soft penalty to give away really by them but Greenacre took it well and should get to 20 this season with 4 games to get one more in. It's good to see us come from behind to win this season anyway.