• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-1 Brighton

Player
Johnny Morrissey

DIW

Player
Goodison
Yeah it was good to get three points. Quality wasn't there as you say, bar an outstanding goal from Welsh, and Brighton really did miss some chances, but maybe its about time some things went our way. A start - let's hope confidence can get up and we can build.

By the way Boz - Martin looked a decent keeper, too early to say whether he is better than Daniels though.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
yeah an ok performance but a win that was badly needed to say the least.

Hope we sort out a manager soon we really could do with the new man installed before we go to hartlepool next week.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Against Stockport we created more chances, kept them down to a handful, yet lost. Today we managed only 4 decent efforts on target, scored two of them and Brighton missed at least 3 gilt-edged chances, but we won. As Les Parry quoting Jimmy Greaves in his programme note said "football a funny old game"

Goalkeeper. I thought Martin was much more vocal and a better organiser than Daniels. He made one decent point blank save and a couple of good claims, but wasn't taxed too much due to Brighton's wayward finishing. I don't think their penalty should have been given, but as it was, he was very lucky to stay on the pitch.

Defence. I thought both central defenders were below par today. Broomes was another who could have walked for a deliberate handball arguably denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. Logan did ok, Bakayogo's first touch was much better and although he wasn't involved as much in attack brought a decent save with a fine volley.

Midfield. This remains the problem area of the park for me. McLaren made one early decent pass which Curran didn't read, but after that was largely anonymous. He wasted a couple of set pieces in decent position and is one of those players who seemed to be blaming everyone else for his shortfalls. Edds was sound, in the right place to finish for the goal and we deteriorated after he went off. Welsh took his goal well, but was fairly ordinary otherwise.

Attack. All put in a decent stint, but only Curran seemed to offer much threat, one stinging shot saved by their keepers legs in the first half and some good holding-up and laying off.

Subs. Barnett made very little impact when coming on. Ash Taylor did better, a physical presence in the centre and one good clearance under pressure.

The Ref. Another below par performance, although unlike Monday's, he seemed to be equally bad for both teams. I couldn't understand why he wouldn't let Welsh back on the pitch when the ball had gone out for a throw-in.

Les/Shaun. If this is their last game in charge, pleased it ended with a win, although we rode our luck a little today.

The crowd. Disappointing turnout, despite Brighton bringing a decent number; about 300. However, the atmosphere was good.

MoM If Edds had played the full 90, maybe he'd be my choice, but for his overall contribution it has to be Bakayogo.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Thought we looked a lot better organised, which is reassuring. Quality was certainly no worse than vs Stockport in my view, the 4-3-3 encourages us to play quite direct so...that's what you get. Might be nice to see Ricketts in there for this reason but Parry doesn't seem keen on him. Would also add that Curran looks impressive in this formation, not sure about Gornell yet, Moore again ineffective.

Thought the midfield looked better for Welsh's inclusion - he played pretty well and scored another superb goal. Edds scored and did pretty well 'till forced off by a seemingly minor head injury, Mclaren started the game well then typically disappeared for the rest of it.

I like Cresswell a lot but I think we look more assured at the back with Bakayoko in there. Thought our new-left back put in a solid debut on Monday night and was even better today. Logan's always good. Broomes never looks comfortable and probably should have been sent off for a quite deliberate hand-ball, but pleased to see Goodison back on track with a good performance.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
In the space of one week, Les has turned things around, that's testament to the man. Anyone who watched the games under Barnes, when comparing it to the games under Les can see the difference. We're fitter, we're more organised, we have a plan. The players are trying. No disrespect to Barnes (I've said all I'm going to about that particular individual) but the !! physio !! is now doing a better job, no an amazing job as manager, turning around a team that couldn't do anything right into a team that claimed three points today.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Les has won 1 of 2 very winnable games. Last Monday wasn't good enough, today was better but a long way from being perfect. It's good to get a win but it'll be even better to get a real manager in place.

Chief was the most vocal from the bench today and, from what I've seen on TV, looks to have a big input into day-to-day training. Of course we don't really know what's going on behind the scenes at the moment, but a lot of the players turned to him today for advice during the game; not Les, not Garno. Hoping we offer him a longer contract as coach when the new managerial team comes in because he seems to have had an influence.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought that we played better v Stockport, but both games under Les have shown an improvement in committment from the players. In seems to me a team effort from the bench, at stages yesterday Shaun was issuing defence instructions, Les had a quick word with individuals during breaks in play and the Chief was very vocal. Agree with SonkORLY? it would be great if he could remain on the coaching staff when the new boss is appointed.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
delighted with the three points and was encouraged by the commitment shown by the majority of the players. Martin to me looks more assured and is very vocal. Broomes and mclaren simply are not good enough and are not the sort of players required in a relegation battle. Both seem to be going through the motions rather than playing with any desire. Would rather see ash taylor and barnett being given a go. On the whole tho its encouraging, cant see the whole 433 thing being adopted in the long term, with the way we ship goals and by the fact we have two very attack minded full backs i could see the new man adopting a 532 formation using wing backs. On another note the rumour today was that david kelly will be announced as manager soon. Was also talking to a club official who said coppell, aldridge, harvey, jewell and cotterill have not applied for the job. However a number of the applicants are either new to management or have been out of the game for a long time. By all accounts dennis smith ex wrectum has applied. As i say could be utter tosh but the bloke has been pretty reliable in the past.

M

Mal

Stats say that Tranmere had 7 shots on target, 2 off. Brighton had 4 off target and 0 on-target.

Also indicated that Brighton had 53% of possession.

Either Brighton were awful or Tranmere defensive/midfield has improved to cut out chances... or a bit of both....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Some more stats. We are still three points from safety and thank goodness we won or we'd have been bottom. But looking on the bright side, we are now just nine points away from the play-offs! OK, that may seem a bit optimistic as I don't foresee much movement out of the top six, but there are just six points separating 7th from 20th, so a top half finish is realistic with a half decent managerial team.

Player
Liam Palmer
Stats say that Tranmere had 7 shots on target, 2 off. Brighton had 4 off target and 0 on-target.

Also indicated that Brighton had 53% of possession.

Either Brighton were awful or Tranmere defensive/midfield has improved to cut out chances... or a bit of both....

I was puzzled by these. How does a team that has no shots on target manage to score? Beach ball anyone?

Brighton may have had 'no' shots on target but they did miss the game's three easiest chances, including the header after 20 seconds. Imagine if that had gone in...

Anyway, I am grateful for the win, even if I thought we were pretty pedestrian throughout. Albion were big, physical and not afraid of the long-ball, so some credit has to go to the defence, for once.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Daft if they don't include penalties imo. Can't remember Rovers 7 on target, 2 goals, Curran + Bakayogo shots, weak free-kick from McLaren. Other two? Plus Martin made a save, so starting to doubt these stats. Don't buy the central defenders did well myth either. The fact that Brighton had 3 great chances to fluff suggests otherwise.

muhalo

Player
Pat Nevin
A rare chance for me and the missus to get to a home game, having travelled up from Kent. A West Ham fan, she still trooped off to the club shop pre-match after I shoved notes into her hand to buy a woolly hat. Afterward she was pleased we won but had said at the time the goals were scrappy and the game could have gone either way. I told her this was just her second Tranmere game and that she would get used to it.

Anyway, I still get a tear in my eye when the Rockford Files plays as the teams come out, a reminder of my uncovered kop end years in the days of Aldridge and Malkin, behind the goal, freezing to death with a 60p cup of tea.
I winced my way through a lot of the game from the fake comfort of the main stand. The central defenders looked shaky, but I’m used to that, but I’m still keen on Bokoyogu. Craig Curren is like a Terrier, raw and ready to run. Thomas-Moore may have been ineffective but you sense he could be better if things went his way.

We played worse than we did against Stockport but three points will do. Riding the wave of euphoria afterward I bought the book, a team poster and a teddy bear for my son from the club shop. The boy loved the bear, the book is great, but I will be defacing John Barnes in the poster.

Regardless, if a manager is in place for the next game I’ll look back on the Les Parry days with fondness, like a kind uncle arriving to look after us after our father figure was taken away. The moment LP ran onto the pitch to treat a man down on Saturday will be a Rovers memory I’ll never forget. Part of me wants him to stay, but another part of me knows that I’m a football-illiterate romantic that knows nothing about management, and so is he.

And to hell with the main stand, I’ll be in the Kop next time.

Player
Johnny morrissey
Well Done to Les and the lads, its all about getting points on the board at the moment!!
Curran,Bakathingyo & Edds where all outstanding=D>
S.W.A =D>S.W.A=D>

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The game was scrappy and not wonderful to watch, but we got the three points, so you cant ask for more than that come 90 minutes.

Brighton were poor too. They had a few chances but never really looked like scoring.
Bakayogo shows promise, I like the lad. Curran never gave up as per usual and Edds is proving effective in midfield.

I also like the look of Ash Taylor in midfield when he came on. Seems to cover a lot of the pitch and he seems up for it.

Will we see a new manager this week?

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Told ya we would win Ian.............right were is my quid for the lottery.....:-k

yozzer31

Player
Aldo
God that feels good !!!!!

Thought the lads battled really well; especially Curran for closing them down as quickly as he did. Edds had another superb performance in the middle but I think McLaren forgot to put his boots on (some of those free kicks from just outside the area were awful).

3 points is the main priority at the moment (we can start playing the attractive football when we are on a roll !!), so it was great to be able to walk out of the ground on Saturday with those in the bag. Now onto Hartlepool and then Swindon, so hopefully at least another 4 points by the end of the month. With a few more battling performances, we will all be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Come on Rovers !!!!
Faith restored !!!!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
from what johnson was quoted as saying in the daily post today i dont think we will get the new manager in this week. There was a board meeting last friday t discuss & look through the applications and johnson said he was happy withe the current management team for now and a decision would not be rushed.