• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-0 Port Vale

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
A comfortable win for Rovers tonight. The first half sounded pretty poor but by the sounds of the conditions they weren't helping. 2nd half we got better. Greenacre coming close twice... before Myrie-Williams came on for Shuker. Myrie-Williams introduction really helped us open Vale up. He won two penalties. The first on 68 minutes and Greenacre sent the keeper the wrong way for 1-0. The second came on 84 minutes, but this time Greenacre's penalty was saved by the legs of the Vale keeper.

We did get a 2nd though 4 minutes later when Ian Moore beat the offside trap and cut in to curl home. The defence was solid throughout and Coyne was only troubled in the last minute when he saved well.

Good win... any win from now on is a good win for me! Another 3pts towards the play offs. Looking forward to sitting back and waiting for the scores to come through tomorrow and Saturday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks goodness the lads were up for the second half. At half time, I thought we were in for another 0-0! I couldn't take that, not after the horror away show. But.. it wasn't to be. Tranmere were a different team in the second half. Completely in control and did most of the attacking. In fact, did Coyne have a shot to save?

The penalties looked clear, I don't remember seeing any of the Port Vale players complaining.

To Vale's credit, they played a decent first 45. They were the better team. Maybe not in terms if chances created, but they played with spirit and looked more up for the challenge.

Their big problem us that for all their desire to play, they haven't got a good enough team. Coyne was hardly troubled throughout the game, and it's no wonder they find themselves at the foot of the table.

Second half, they had nothing to show. Even when they went a goal behind, there was no fight back at all, Tranmere continuing to push forward.

Great second half though, very pleased we are back into the top six! Keep it up lads!

Player
Liam Palmer
Yes, great second half, just blew them away really (ha ha).

Both penalties happened right in front of me and both were good decisions. The second one was not as obvious but was a stick on too. JMW turned the game when he came on. Shuker looks WAY off the pace for me - he needs a good few games to get back in, whereas JMW's pace will always be a threat.

Wasn't sure about the Twins tonight (Moore and Greenacre) - but both scored and Chrissy worked especially hard. Still might prefer Zola in there to mix it up a bit (during parts of the first half I found myself wanting Gareth Taylor back in the team - no honestly!), But the boys came good in the second half.

An extra couple of days off while the other fixtures really suit us over the weekend. Prepare though that Goodison might be missing on Monday as he is due to turn out for Jamaica. Surely Theo Whitmore could do us a good turn and leave him out FFS!

SWA

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
The second half was the best that Stockdale has ever played in a Tranmere shirt (yes, no kidding!).

Jennings was crucial again, even more than usual since McLaren had a bit of a stinker. Ok maybe I'm being a bit harsh on McLaren there, he did make some nice passes, but compared to mid-season when he played so very well, this was a bad performance. Set pieces were particularly awful. Anyway getting back to Jennings, as Vale made loose passes and half-challenges, almost everytime it was Jenno there to mop it up and earn us possession, and when he wasn't there, another player followed his example. I can't remember a game recently where we've won the ball so often in breakdown situations.

I can understand why Ronnie picked Chorley over Kay for this particular game, the soaking we got and the swirling winds as we came into the ground really cemented that for me, having a no-nonsense centre back who will just head or hoof it clear made a lot more sense than a footballing one, in those conditions.

Ian Moore's goal. A class above again. Beautifully timed run, taking advantage of a defender coming out too slowly, lovely touch to roll it ahead, and a curling finish leaving the keeper no chance. Sheer class. Let's hope for more of that in the run-in.