• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2 - 0 Albion

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Man of the Match, Steve Davies. In past seasons he's looked like a boy playing with men, today he was The Man. Putting himself in the shop window perhaps, but I'm not complaining if he turns in performances like that. Shukes was good too, and curiously I'd list Stockdale as one of the performers of the day as well. A couple of quick decisions from Robbie in our own box preserved the clean sheet.

Less good from McLaren who was anonymous, and Taylor who although he got nothing from the ref all game could have done better. Which brings me to the ref.. I'm sure I recognised that straight arm walking and petty throw-in technique complaining from previous seasons. Whoever issued that chump with a ref's license needs their head examining.

Around the rest of the team real quick, Coyne showed excellent positioning and made tricky stuff look easy, Chorley won some great headers in the first half but made me nervous twice in the second, Goodison stepped up well a couple of times but when no opponents in 20 yards and two easy passes on he still goes for the "hoof it" approach. Fair play to Goodison today he put his head in the way when it mattered and took a boot in the face, I respect that tremendously. Sherriff let himself down a bit, a very mediocre performance and gave it away cheaply a few times - he is capable of better. Jennings enthusiastic and denied them freedom in midfield but didn't contribute so much when we went forward, got booked for breathing too heavily near one of their players or something.. STUUPID referee. Greenacre scored and that's about it really, didn't get anything from the ref all game either, except for an early yellow card. Finally Craig Curran who came off the bench to inject a bit of pace and hunger exactly when it was needed.

Last word is for their all action physio, just as well it wasn't a windy day, a waif-like figure that he was, he could have been blown away. :lol:

Player
Morrisey
I think that that is a very fair assessment of the Game NBDH. I would have to say thought that I thought Davies had a poor first half and was not purposeful enough. I would have given the accolade to Shukes. I do think thought that Davies had a much better second half and ran well throught middle aswell as wide.

The ref was poor and I hope he was assessed today. I also thought his assistants were poor too. He looked over to them for a decision and they were so unsure with their flag going no particular way that the ref would just guess. The most interesting decision of the game was giving a direct free-kick for what could only have been obstruction from Goodison.

Well done D. Coyne. Very accomplished performance and dealt with everything well and was commanding. I would say give him the arm-band but some people have reservations about 'keepers being captain.

I thought that Jennings marshalled their runners well and made some good runs down the middle which, I thought McLaren shoul dhave done. He did however look like a reserve player when the time came for a decision in their box. If he can sort that out then he will do fine.

Their physio was busy though when their players needed a lie down towards the end.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Good win but from what i heard on the commentary possibly not the best performance. Good job Taylor got injured and Curran came on because his great work really made that 1st goal (nothing against Gareth there btw). Made up with Shukers goal... class pass from Jenno, class finish from Shukes. Looked like we nearly got undone by another free kick to the back post at 1-0 but Coyne made a good save.

Two tough away games in the league coming up now at Yeovil and Carlisle with a visit from Morecombe in the LDV sandwiched in between. I' confident we can get something at Yeovil... less so at Carlisle but who knows. SWA!!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Thanks for the link but sadly on my setup with Media Player Classic and Flash installed, the video still does not appear - just a placeholder image.

evo_trfc

Good Result hopefully can keep the momentum going and put a good run of results together!!!

Why was the attendence so low?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Which brings me to the ref.. I'm sure I recognised that straight arm walking and petty throw-in technique complaining from previous seasons. Whoever issued that chump with a ref's license needs their head examining.

Agreed. He was awful wasnt he! From the kick off right through to the final whistle, terrible decisions and backed up by his equally poor linesmen. I really don't know where they get these officials from. Ironically though, one of the few decisions he did give for us resulted in the first goal after the ref waved play on. I'll give him that one :wink:

Really good video that. I had to upgrade my media player or something to get it working. Worked on firefox for me if anyone is having problems.

The slow motion replays are excellent, much deserving for that excellent Shukes goal.

Why was the attendence so low?
It was very poor. I looked around at 2.55pm and it was pretty much empty were I was sitting. I guess the Leeds game didn't help.

Lastly, I really enjoyed watching the ongoing battle between Davies and Whing. They were biting for most of the game and Davies seemed to taking the piss out of his bizzare facial hair. Davies had the last laugh when he chopped him down for his seccond yellow. Good stuff.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I went up to the Wirral for my birthday weekend and saw the game. A great present!

I agree is was a very tight game. On another day, we could have lost through a defensive blunder or poor refereeing decision, but we were very disciplined. Brighton were a good side but lacked penetration. The difference was our wingers and frontmen.

I thought everyone played at least OK and our fitness levels looked good. Nothing in it until Curran came on. For once the luck went our way. Curran only came on through injury, when the game was crying out for a bit of pace down the middle - and when he was fouled, the ref let play continue, resulting in the goal.

Two wins and two clean sheets on the trot must be a record for Ronnie. Let's hope this continues and we don't go back to our old ways.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Ronnie's Quote Of The Month:

"....You can't play like Real Madrid everyweek"!

Now! There's one for the scrapbook!

I nearly pissed myself!