• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1 Peterborough 0

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
yeovil look a tall strong side and most teams down the bottom are finding there feet now !
also they have premiership quality in there ranks !
the result on saturday will happen from time to time under lp but not reguarly imo !
still can,t score goals and thats my main worry .

The Heady Heights Of Mid-Table

Well, I see that "Kayo" Brown has returned to WBA. Les quoted about some international business but I think it was his way of saying thanks, but no thanks.

Don't get me wrong, he sparkled for certain moments and adopted the "Dogs Of War" mentality for the last 20 minutes or so on Saturday when we went on the defensive but he never ever ever ever looks up to pass a ball!!#-o

I'm not sure if anyone read Nick Hilton's usual Daily Post report from Saturday's game today (page 2 of the sports pages), it included an action shot with the caption Joss Labadie.... did I miss something?:shock:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And the resulting injuries were:

• Adam McGurk's ankle isn't too good
  • Ian Goodison has cricked his back
  • Enoch Showunmi has a bit of tendonitis in his right knee
  • Ryan Fraughan came in for treatment yesterday and won't train today after taking a kick to his right foot.

Wow, we will be lucky to have a squad to face Yeovil on Saturday. 8-[

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
To me the reason we tend to do better against better teams is we play more like an away team against them. If you didn't know any better on Saturday you would have thought it was Rovers who were away the way we sat in and broke the play up and looked to play on the break. There's nothing wrong with this approach although i think it explains why we struggle against less good sides, especially at PP, who surrender possession and ask us to do the possession/attacking stuff.

That's why I don't actually think Yeovil away will be too different from last Saturday in terms of what's required to get point/points and it might also explain why cr*p like Wycombe find it easier to stuff us.

Just a thought.

Yep. The logic makes sense, but you will be disappointed when we don't win every away game 1-0 like we did on Saturday.

The performance of Switzerland (my native nation!) vs England last night was an example of how a negative/counter-attacking strategy can go tits up (a.) when you don't have a good day and (b.) when you don't have a plan B. It sounds like everything went perfectly on Sat, but what happens when it doesn't, and we go 1-0 down?

Our (Switzerland's) world cup is a quite good example actually. After incredibly beating Spain in the opening game and losing to Chile in the next, we were left requiring a win against Honduras - arguably the weakest team in the tournament - to qualify. Hitzfeld has us set up as a unit whose sole intention is to defend very well and counter attack quickly, so against a team which deployed similar tactics, the game ended up being an awful stalemate and finished 0-0. Point being that, with Les's system, it's quite conceivable that we'll do well vs the gung-ho P'boro's and Swansea's of this world, while continuing to struggle against the less attackingly-inclined Accy Stanley and Oldham. That is, unless we are able to change gears and show some attacking impetus when our opponents refuse to do so.

Agreed

To me the reason we tend to do better against better teams is we play more like an away team against them. If you didn't know any better on Saturday you would have thought it was Rovers who were away the way we sat in and broke the play up and looked to play on the break. There's nothing wrong with this approach although i think it explains why we struggle against less good sides, especially at PP, who surrender possession and ask us to do the possession/attacking stuff.

That's why I don't actually think Yeovil away will be too different from last Saturday in terms of what's required to get point/points and it might also explain why cr*p like Wycombe find it easier to stuff us.

I agree with the above, this is precisely the point I was trying to make earlier in this thread. It doesn't help us either when the majority of the little creativity we have within the squad is currently in the treatment room!

Player
Liam Palmer
Yep. The logic makes sense, but you will be disappointed when we don't win every away game 1-0 like we did on Saturday.

The performance of Switzerland (my native nation!) vs England last night was an example of how a negative/counter-attacking strategy can go tits up (a.) when you don't have a good day and (b.) when you don't have a plan B. It sounds like everything went perfectly on Sat, but what happens when it doesn't, and we go 1-0 down?

Our (Switzerland's) world cup is a quite good example actually. After incredibly beating Spain in the opening game and losing to Chile in the next, we were left requiring a win against Honduras - arguably the weakest team in the tournament - to qualify. Hitzfeld has us set up as a unit whose sole intention is to defend very well and counter attack quickly, so against a team which deployed similar tactics, the game ended up being an awful stalemate and finished 0-0. Point being that, with Les's system, it's quite conceivable that we'll do well vs the gung-ho P'boro's and Swansea's of this world, while continuing to struggle against the less attackingly-inclined Accy Stanley and Oldham. That is, unless we are able to change gears and show some attacking impetus when our opponents refuse to do so.

Could be like my native nation and be crap against everybody. Mind you, if Rovers win every game in the 97th minute I'd be happy (and on heart pills).

I accept we're not going to win every game against better sides.

Getting a mental picture

Sonko,

You are so much fun.
What on earth is "my native nation" supposed to describe? Are you Swiss?
Which of their languages do you speak?
You went to University in the UK you say and spend a lot of time in North Wales following the Welsh League.

Is English a second language for you? If so I will accept that you have a little difficulty in getting your point across.

My point is to have you understand and perhaps be a little more forward looking in a much more positive way.
We've just had an unexpected success, deservedly so. So lets be pleased about it and not find a way to have an early whinge about the forthcoming game(s)
Try and cheer up, take in the odd game at Prenton, enjoy little successes without a care for the next game until it arrives.

P. S. Do you sell the hot dogs outside Colwyn Bay's ground?

Player
Goodison
This debate has lost me#-o

I think the bottom line is that we are not very consistent and it would not be very surprising if we lost to Yeovil on Saturday! Last season we had a similar pattern - we beat Norwich and Southampton, but got mauled by Wycombe and lost to Stockport.

If we produce the kind of performance on Saturday in at least half of our remaining games, we will be ok.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
My point is to have you understand and perhaps be a little more forward looking in a much more positive way.
We've just had an unexpected success, deservedly so. So lets be pleased about it and not find a way to have an early whinge about the forthcoming game(s)
Try and cheer up, take in the odd game at Prenton, enjoy little successes without a care for the next game until it arrives.

P. S. Do you sell the hot dogs outside Colwyn Bay's ground?

I was born in Bern. I speak German and French to a fairly poor standard, English is my first language. I write very well and if you find difficulty in understanding my points then it probably means you have poor reading comprehension skills. And I will continue to shun blind optimism in favour of realism, hope that doesn't disturb your sleep at night.

Back to the reading comprehension thing. I said that Saturday's result should be celebrated, then gave a tactically-grounded explination as to why we seem to be doing well vs good teams/away from home while continuing to struggle at home against lesser opposition. Got any thoughts to add? I then stated my belief that Les did well last season, and that I hoped we could return to that level when our injured players return. Got any thoughts to add? Maybe we can talk about Tranmere for a bit.

I don't understand why you feel the need to respond to my every comment in a sneery, provocative fashion. I'm only replying to show you as the idiot you are. This is something I won't bother to do again, so make the most of the attention you're receiving. 10% of your posts are TRFC related, 90% are random personal attacks directed towards me. Go away.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Out of curiousity do you have Swiss parent(s), or were the family just working there/passing through at the time you were born? Do you regard yourself as British/Swiss or something in between?

Turning to the football point made, I think if we'd have been as in-yer-face against some of the weaker teams we've come up against as we were against Peterborough, then we'd have certainly taken something out of the Oldham game. That was one where they out-fought us. It also helped in that all of our midfield trio last weekend were prepared to play the ball forward, McLaren and Welsh are too fond of the side/backwards pass for my liking.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bloody hell, has the mist rolled in from the Irish sea this weekend? Can we keep these posts roughly on-topic please and refrain from personal attacks. Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.

Player
Goodison
Bloody hell, has the mist rolled in from the Irish sea this weekend? Can we keep these posts roughly on-topic please and refrain from personal attacks. Any further off-topic posts will be deleted.

Finally some sense, White Review was becoming in danger of looking like the awful Cowsheds site.