• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1 - 2 Walsall

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Tactically spanked by a caretaker manager. I had to miss this one as I had to work, but it seems I didn't miss much. Views?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You didn't miss much at all. Sadly, we lacked any spark or creativity. What I don't quite understand is how a team can play so well and then so opposite from one week to the next with the same team.

We looked a shadow of ourselves from last week.
In all fairness, Walsall worked hard for the 3 points.

However, we gave them the goals really. Their first goal was a mistake from Zola (who was poor i have to admit) and then from Sharps who also made an error. Their second was from poor defending again.

Thought we might have gone on to win the game after Greenacre scored, but it made Walsall even more determined. We did have chances however. Zola missed a few great chances and again, silly balls were being played. Some good chances created and the final balls were disappointing.

Aiston who had a great few weeks was very quiet in the first and was subbed for Facey in the second half, I think switching to a 443. It did create more chances for the team, but most of the time, Walsall stuck 10 men behind the ball meaning we didn't have enough creativity to break them down. They countered pretty well.

Very disappointing though. Fully expected us to get a result tonight, but overall, Walsall looked more hungry for the points.

S

Steve

Just goes to show how its a funny old game this football lark. How can a team go from being almost Brazil like, to a team giving a substandard performance last night. Too many of the players were walking around as if they only had to be on the pitch to win. The defence were back to normal, panicking everytime the ball came near them. The midfield lacked spark, bite and the final ball into the box was c**p. As for Zola up front, he was the worst player on the pitch last night, but that is down to confidence. He was getting into the right positions, but was trying too hard. The one thing a player doesn't want is for the fans to start barricking them as soon as they make their first mistake, that will only make them try too hard to put things right and not play their normal game. If a child makes a mistake, we encourage them so it doesn't happen again. Its should happen in adult life as well. Calvin is only a young lad still learning the game so stay of his back during the game. I was a bit disappointed with the attendance last night after the Chesterfield game, but hats of to the kop for making plenty of noise. Anyway, lets hope we can get the 3 points at Yoevil next game.

M

Matthew The Rover

Ian said:
Their first goal was a mistake from Zola

So it's Zola's fault that somebody jumped on his back and they won a free kick? It was Sharpsys fault, the first mistake he's made in months, knowbody elses, unless you blame the ref for giving them the initial free kick.

We were the best team but our marking was terrible and cost us two goals again, our finishing was just as bad (not just Zola, Mr. Facey managed to hit the Upper Kop once aswell so don't slag Zola off, at least he's in the positions). Jason's corners were bollocks, I've never seen so many go towards the Dee, then our crossing was almost always from very deep diaganal balls which just didn't work! Few things to practise there in training Brian.

Thought Greenacre had his best game in a long time but my Man Of The Match was Raven. His best game for Tranmere and he got better as the game went off. Quick word for Jeno as well who was brilliant when he came on, two or three class tackles.

S

Steve

I agree that Raven was motm, but i dont think he is the long term answer to the rightback position. Hopefully when we are safe Little gives Olly James a few games as he impressed in the pre-season games and plays alot like Ryan Taylor used to. I'll go to the reserve game on Monday and see if he plays and has come on at all.
What did you think of Antony Gerrard, Steven's cousin. I thought he was very impressive. I think we were looking at a future England centre-half.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

I do think that Raven played well but I do feel that Zola did play rather poorly ok he gets in to the postions but his striking was like a defgenders and I know because I am a defender! I feel the team was lacking confidence but we should of been on top of the world we won a top six team a week before. I feel Facey done well when he came on, I feel he should start for us. It looks like Greenacre is coming back into form but his last two goals were tap ins like. Zola needs a confidence booster Matty and its not going to come from Little so I feel that Facey should start a head of him. I also feel that we were missing something from the midfield but I couldn't put my finger on what.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Dissapointed but I don't think we played too bad. Greenacre or raven MOTM. Suppose you could blame a few people for Walsall's goal. Sharps could be at fault but no-one was marking the scorer. No-one was marking the free header, and Dino tried to do a dramatic save he looked a like a dying swan!

Walsall were poor so I dont see how we lost. Its a funny old game!

Griff

What were we thinking going to a 433 ?

Bad tactics again from Little in my opinion. The players were to blame for the first half and you could blame little, but the tactical change is all on him, and it didnt work. It gave us no width and was easy to defend for them as they just needed to load the middle.

I think any decent manager would have given the players a roasting at half time and sent out the same team. Then after 20 minutes, if it still doesnt work then you can think about drastic measures. Changing the formation at half time stinks of despiration.

I wouldnt blame Zola, yes his control was poor, but then why did they keep playing a ball to his feet when he was marked out of the game. Every time he recieved a ball there were players on his back, so why not look for a different ball. why not play to his strengths and put some balls over the top using hte angles.

My last point is that the last 2 wins only papered over the cracks at this club. the 4-1 vitory was flattering. When we scored b4 half time it killed them off. In the second half we showboated at times because they had given up. I was as pleased as anyone that we had won, but I'm not surprised we lost on Friday.

I dont think Little is going anywhere but I wish he would.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
First half we were poor and only really created the one chance, a Jacko header tipped onto the bar after a good McAteer cross. Second half I thought we were ok... nothing special but decent enough apart from our finishing. How Zola didn't at least get two goals I don't know? If we had gone 2-1 up we would have won the game but as it was they scored I think just after we had a chance for 2-1. Oh well... We just need to make sure we get the points required to stay up now.