• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1-2 Leeds

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Here's a quick idea to throw into the mixer, maybe Shukes shouldn't have had a penalty and instead should have got an indirect free kick inside the box. There defintely was contact made, but perhaps it could be seen as obstruction? Would have made more sense than waving play on after that kind of contact in the box.

Chorley didn't cover himself in glory once Goodison fell to pieces, and you'd hope a strong centre back pairing would take care of business together, looking out for each other. That said, it was his first competitive match for us and I'm sure he wasn't expecting the "established" (ex-international) player alongside him to chuck in the towel with half an hour left. And yes Chorley was neat and tidy in the first half with the few things he had to do, so it's far from all bad.

In the pre-season matches I was able to get to Kay did impress me at centre-back, looking the strongest and fittest of the bunch, it is nice that we have the extra depth there in the team now. Perhaps he'll get his chance soon, forming some other combination at the back which will work better.

Player
Morrisey
I thought that Sherriff had an excellent game. Looked assured going forward getting in good crosing ansd shooting positions and taking them well and also utilising the over-lap well. He lost the ball a few times but he did recover. I thought he was one of our better players. His right footed shot was not a million mles away.

Also in the defence of their keeper. I saw Davies pile into his gut with a knee. Davies did take him out with his legs up to be fair. Saying that... what was the referee doing picking up the ball, not stopping his watch, conversing with the keeper and then dropping the ball and saying 'play on'? I dont think that is in compliance with the F.A Handbok 2007.

M

MilkyLUFC

Maybe it should have been a penalty, but given your players overreaction (looked like a dive to me) how was the ref supposed to call it? The player put the doubt in the refs mind in my opinion.

As for Casper's (Goalkeeper) time wasting... He isn't the kind of player to do that, and on the replay on LUTV, he seems to land on the ball funny. I think he winded himself and the referee did give you 5 minutes at the end. I think I was the only Leeds fan to say 'that's about right' when the board went up... Lucky I'm still standing lol

I honestly don't think we were any dirtier than you were. Just seemed like a nervy game to me, with alot of mistimed tackles. The only time I will concede that our players got out of hand was when our 2 strikers, and your 2 centre backs got booked late on - wasn't happy we were collecting bookings for desent, but that happens all over the Country these days.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
'super white army', you're way off mate if we're talking about the same incident. The keeper went up, caught the ball, nobody made contact with him from his own team or from ours, there wasn't anybody for several yards either side! At best he winded himself on landing, at worst it was cynical timewasting designed to slow the game back down and drain any little momentum Tranmere looked to build. The two or three minutes of a leeds striker taking a little lie down during injury time was definitely 'not cricket', the player himself and even die-hard leeds fans probably wouldn't object if he was fined for that one, but that never happens.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
As for Casper's (Goalkeeper) time wasting... He isn't the kind of player to do that, and on the replay on LUTV, he seems to land on the ball funny. I think he winded himself and the referee did give you 5 minutes at the end.

Recovered quickly to come steaming out of his box to make a clearance though didn't he :wink:

Gray

Player
I disagree with the 'it was a bigger game for Leeds than it was for Tranmere' comments, as it was game 1 of 46 for us both. Having said that, what our fans have been through in the last six years is uncomparable to any other team in any league, and this was in a sense a big day - It was opening day, of what we hope will be our first steps forwards in 6 long years.

I think the celebrations and your comments below about putting a team together in a week and having a siege mentality demonstrate that it was a bigger game for you than us. The thing that riled me was being patronised as a small club. We have Championship pedigree, were knocking on the door of the premiership not so long ago and have had some incredible cup runs. Leeds won't make any friends in this division if they go to every ground with this mentality. Although, I have to say I'm looking forward to Leeds v Forest! .

You need to take chants like '2-1 in your cup final' with a pinch of salt, and realise that all Leeds fans have heard for the last 3 seasons is 'You think you're too big for this division' and 'You'll be everyone's cup final - It won't be easy' from opposing teams fans - So chants like that are inevitable. Had we have been 2-1 down, I seriously doubt your fans wouldn't have been rubbing it in. That's what happens on the terraces. It can be frustrating at times, but understand that Leeds fans have been brought up knowing that the rest of the teams hate us passionately and we also know we're one of the teams in this division everyone wants to beat. It's basically a case of being victims of our past success, but you'll find very few Leeds fans who think they're too big to be playing Tranmere, and the rest of League One. The ones that did were the glory supporters that left, and haven't been seen at Elland Road for several years.

I know, and I totally agree. I've calmed down a bit now, I'll be honest with you that I've never felt that way after a game before. I've felt like invading the pitch and kicking in the heads of a few Tranmere players before, but never the opposition team or fans.

As for Wise and the players celebrating at full time, well wouldn't you? He'd thrown a team together in a week, overcoming every possible obstacle you could ever face - The fans were against him, and he's had to start the season 15 points down. The fact that most people want to see Leeds fall flat on their face created a siege mentality. They have their backs to the wall, with everyone (it seems) out to get them, and they came out definatly and won, despite a nervy and dreadful first half.

Like I said, bigger game for you than us ;-)

Finally, enough of the age-old 'Dirty Leeds' stereotype. It was a nervy encounter, with a few loose tackles. Your team weren't entirely innocent in the proceedings either.

Yeah, we can be quite dirty ourselves, especially some of our younger lads that were 'born and bred in birkenhead' and play with their hearts on their sleeves. We expect league 1 games to be robust affairs and quite enjoy watching some 'proper' footie. The time wasting from your keeper wound me up especially though.

EDIT: Also have to agree with Shuker having a great performance. He was the stand out player by a country mile in your team.

He did have a good game, but some days he turns up with the attitude that he can't beat anyone (not a good quality in a winger) and just kind of dithers about before passing it backwards.

Looking forward to a trip to Elland Road in feb.

Gray

Player
I thought that Sherriff had an excellent game. Looked assured going forward getting in good crosing ansd shooting positions and taking them well and also utilising the over-lap well. He lost the ball a few times but he did recover. I thought he was one of our better players. His right footed shot was not a million mles away.

Agree with that, he's one of the improved players I forgot to mention earlier. Hopefully we can continue to look that lively and interested for the rest of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Working in Leeds, was hoping for a diffrerent outcome to this game. Trying not to repeat too much of what others have said, here are my thoughts;

Think this was a one off game, because of Leeds ' circumstances and I'm not sure that I'd read too much into it because of that. I hadn't seen any of the pre-season matches, so wasn't quite sure what to expect from Rovers. The area where I'd most concerns was midfield, yet McLaren was his usual steady self, Jennings has come back from his loan spell much improved, Davies looks like a proper left-winger and Shuker was probably MoM.

Elsewhere things were not so rosy. Greenacre as good as ever, but for all Zola's good link-up play, from memory he didn't have any efforts on/off target in 90 minutes, not what is required for a striker. However, the real area of concern was defence. Danny Coyne didn't look that confident, Stockdale was a bit unlucky to be booked for his first poor tackle, but thereafter kept pulling out of challenges. Goodison lacked authority and dithered too much, Chorley while good at defensive headers didn't have the calm authority of a Chris McCready on the ball. As for Sherriff, must disagree with the plaudits above, I thought his distribution was poor and remain unconvinced that he's a capable left-back.

Also was puzzled by the substitutions. Greenacre coming off has been explained by Ronnie as breathing problems, but why Shukes? Why not Curran for Greenacre, more of a like for like than Taylor. Also given both Chorley and Kay can play right-back, one of them to play at right-back for the beleagured Stockdale, seemed worth considering.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Also was puzzled by the substitutions. Greenacre coming off has been explained by Ronnie as breathing problems, but why Shukes?

According to Ronnie, Shukes was black & blue, and got quite a battering from the Leeds defence. I can understand why he took him off but maybe he was replaced by the wrong man!

Player
Morrisey
'super white army', you're way off mate if we're talking about the same incident. The keeper went up, caught the ball, nobody made contact with him from his own team or from ours, there wasn't anybody for several yards either side! At best he winded himself on landing, at worst it was cynical timewasting designed to slow the game back down and drain any little momentum Tranmere looked to build.

The incident which I am reffering to occured when the keeper claimed the ball from a cross in a fairly full area and Davies went in on he keeper in a sly manner.

I was still more puzzled by the ref's resulting action.

Player
Goodison
Can we not start at Ronnie after one game? It's the same every season. We've played one competitive match!

I dont want to start on Ronnie either, but we still have all the same problems we had last season. We only play for one half, were not fit enough, Moore doesnt make the changes when their needed, we dont have enough attacking options - we just give it shuker and if that desnt work we just hoof it to the corner flag and leg it, Mclaren is still been played in the wrong place - he should be an attacking midfielder not a defensive midfielder, we still dont have a left winger or a left back or a right back.

Why didnt he play Curran? - hes better than Greenacre and Greenacre wasnt fit. And when he did finally come on there was that one attacking move ( where Taylor was through on goal), which was brilliant until the referre blew for handball despite the fact that Curran had chested it into Zola's path. If he had played for 90 minitues, who knows how much better we could had done.

Player
Goodison

Sherrif was rubbish!!!!

He is completely one footed, he left the left flank completely exposed, he made crosses - none of which were any good. Tremarco is much better than Sherriff. The Leeds first goal was not only a result of having half the team in a pointless wall, but also Sherriff losing his man and completely missing his header. You can see it clearly if you watch it on TV.

The left flank is the worst part of the team Davies is just useless and needs to become a plumber or something. And Sherriff isnt a left back, he tucks in far too much and was originally signed as a centre back.

Player
Morrisey
Seriously in League one we wont find the ultimate team. What are the positives about Tranmere then roverstillidie? Just give us a few games to make a fair assesment of the squad and them we will see where we are and if Ronnie is not up to it. It doesn't always have to doom and gloom with Tranmere you are allowed to look for positives.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Considering the season before last we just scraped ourselves away from relegation, and last season we pretty much had a brand new squad and overall didn't perform that badly, we really can't make any proper judgements after one league game against a side that can and will batter results out. We knew it was never going to be a walkover.

After tonight's cup game we have a tough away trip to Gillingham so I'm not gonna make any decisions until closer to the end of September. At that point we'll have a much better idea of where we'll be this time next year. And in there we've got to go to Yeovil and play Luton at home so a few big games!

Let's keep the chins up for the moment eh? :-D

Player
Goodison
Seriously in League one we wont find the ultimate team. What are the positives about Tranmere then roverstillidie? Just give us a few games to make a fair assesment of the squad and them we will see where we are and if Ronnie is not up to it. It doesn't always have to doom and gloom with Tranmere you are allowed to look for positives.

Some postitives then!

Weve got one of the best centre backs in the division in Goodison.

Weve got two of the best midfielders in Mclaren and Shuker.

Weve got the best young striker in Craig Curran.

Weve got two very good goalkeepers in Coyne and Achtereberg.

Weve got the best physio!

I think weve got a decent squad which just needs a improving in a few areas i.e. left wing.

The squad is good, some of the players have proven history and a good track record in this league such as Kay, Greenacre and Mclaren. I just think weve got the wrong man as manager, he doesnt seem to be able to organise them or make the changes when it matters. I also think he needs to stop us playing long ball as it is too easy to defend against. As Stockport and Leeds among others showed.

I hope I'm wrong and that we storm to promotion, but I just get the feeling that it wont be Moore who does it. Look on the brightside at least were not on minus 12 points!

Player
Morrisey
I thought that most of the 'long-ball' vs. Leeds was direct to the wings as opposed to aimless balls to an isolated striker.

I think that the majority of that assesment was good and I would even go as far to say that I agree with some of it. Is Ronnie the right man? He is a little Naieve is some of his tactics and subs but the guy is animated and has passion as well as a proven track record in this division and in the one above.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Just a quick re-visiting of this thread to say that I'm putting myself in the camp who says Sherriff did better than okay in the Leeds game. His short passing, for which he used both feet, was good. Seeing him do a neat right footed five yard pass was something unbelievable last season, seeing as his right foot was for mainly for standing on. What let him down if anything was that most of his the longer passes with his good left foot, failed to find a Tranmere shirt, although perhaps because of slow reaction times from Zola. I'm convinced now that Zola *is* capable of running (didn't used to think so, but stay with me) it's just waiting for that little lightbulb to switch on, for him to say to himself to chase after it. There's definitely no thinking ahead of the play, and his reaction to things that are unfolding is just embarrassing in its slowness.

Enough getting sidetracked about Zola.. Sherriff's overall contribution was fine, no, better than fine. How anyone can mention his bad distribution without first mentioning Stockdale's or Goodison's attempts at crossfield balls beggars belief. Attempts is perhaps too kind. Hopeless, disasterous misjudgements, yeah that's better.

Better say something positive quick to make up for that... err.. Jennings looks so much more confident on the ball now and I've been told that a few seasons back in the youths he was the player who supplied the ammunition for Daggers scoring and scoring. Let's hope that as he grows as a player Jenno will be able to bring that to the first team!