• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 1-1 Crewe

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Unfortunately, I couldnt make it last night, but I had Tranmere World on and a host of members in the chat room (thanks guys).. So what was it like?

I see we went behind again! before coming back with a goal. Quite disappointed at the draw as Orient lost and would have made up good ground sitting just below them by a point.

Should we have won? Did we play well enough for 90 mins? Were Crewe a good side?

Ronnie wasn't happy saying the spark was missing.
2 points from the last 2 home games isn't good going really, but then again, we hard to beat as Nomur pointed out yesterday, we are now unbeaten in 8.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Ronnie wasn't happy saying the spark was missing.
2 points from the last 2 home games isn't good going really, but then again, we hard to beat as Nomur pointed out yesterday, we are now unbeaten in 8.

Before anyone jumps in, while I said we were unbeaten in 8 games now, I agree with everyone that says we had a great opportunity to get 6 home points on the board and we threw it away on both occasions, possible because we were chasing our tails.

The only team performing better than us now is Leeds, who are unbeaten period! Had they not had points deducted at the start of the season they would now be sitting on 25 points, 6 points ahead of Orient & 9 points clear of us.

Listening to the commentary last night, we really didn't sound too bad. There were a few scary moments but there always will be. We gave away a penalty and as a result gave up 2 valuable points. I can't knock the sprirt at the moment because they are showing that they won't lie down and give up.

But we really need Goals, Goals, and more Goals.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Bad news about Davies. Really sucks for him and for us, because he was one of our best performers in the early games.

We really need Greenacre to rediscover his shooting boots now, they've been conspicuous by their absence.

Also I'd like to see how Kay does at centre-back, it's his first choice position and lately we have let in soft goals, one against the cobblers where Goodison had gotten way out of position, and now a soft penalty against the alex, with Chorley at fault.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Personally i'd like to see Kay come in for Stockdale at right back. I think that may work from what i've heard. Although Mike Jone's sounds like he is doing ok I don't think we can rely on him in the long term at left wing. I'd like to see a good loan signing... season long or til January when we can get someone in permeantly. It will be interesting to see if Davies will sign a contract now? Obviously no one will come in during January now he's injured and will anyone come in during the summer unless he has played games and proven he is over the injury?

Disappointed with two points from 6. We could easily have been top had we taken our chances and not given silly goals away. It's good to be able to come back from behind but would be nice if we can win games confortably at home 2-0 or 3-0. Maybe against Walsall in our next home game on the 12th? If we win at Southend dropping those 4pts will be forgotten about especially if some results go our way again with Orient and a few others but it will be far from easy at Southend!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
...we were unbeaten in 8 games now, .....

The only team performing better than us now is Leeds, who are unbeaten period! .....

Being unbeaten is not the point. A draw is two points dropped. If you draw every match, you end up unbeaten but could be relegated.

I'd rather go for the win every time. If we'd lost on Friday and won last night (or vice versa), we'd have one point more.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Being unbeaten is not the point. A draw is two points dropped. If you draw every match, you end up unbeaten but could be relegated.

I'd rather go for the win every time. If we'd lost on Friday and won last night (or vice versa), we'd have one point more.

You see! that's what I expected to happen.

Cowshed did you actually read what I said? Obviously not. I was agreeing with the fact that we lost valuable points! You're making it sound like I'm content with drawing games! For the love of god man! That's insane!

Read it again:

"Before anyone jumps in, while I said we were unbeaten in 8 games now, I agree with everyone that says we had a great opportunity to get 6 home points on the board and we threw it away on both occasions, possible because we were chasing our tails."

Player
Goodison
we dominated possesion, but we didnt look that dangerous going forward. We lacked a bit of pace or a spark. We also didnt get the ball into the box quick enough. Crewe looked dangerous on the counter attack, I wasnt sure about their penalty, he looked like he went down a bit easily but ill have to see it on tv. Once again Mclaren looked poor and off the pace, and Kay and Curran were on the bench. I would play Kay where Chorley is and Curran,at the moment for Greenacre because he didnt look like scoring yesterday and looked off the pace. Stockdale played quite well yesterday, otherwise I might have suggested but Kay at right back. Jones played quite well, I think he looks better than Davies on the wing. He seems to know what hes doing, rather than just charging off towards the corner flag.

Disappointing to only take 2 points from 6 and now 3 points from 9 . I would rather have lost one match and won the other, or won them both!

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I would play Kay where Chorley is and Curran,at the moment for Greenacre because he didnt look like scoring yesterday and looked off the pace.

Definitely agree Kay deserves a look in. There has been a hole in the defence that needs filling.

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
I'd like to see Kay playing but I cant really see where he would fit into the defence. Goodison and Chorley are usually defensively sound and to be honest it was a soft penalty. Plus, Stockdale and Sherriff have been playing well for us, covering the wings and defensively solid. Also, Kay seems to bring a bit of bite with him when he plays, as anyone who saw his forearm smash against Northampton will agree with me. I think he should be played in midfield and on the basis of the last two games, I would say for McLaren. He's been off the pace and tries too many cute flicks. If we are desperate about playing Kay in defence, what about moving Sherriff up to left midfield and playing Kay at left back instead. We need a left footer on the wing and seeing as Davies is now out for the season, could he be the answer? Asking Jones or Shuker to play on the left is contributing to our own downfall as neither players are willing to actually go down the left, preferring to cut inside too often and making it predictable for the opposing defender. Taylor had another good game last night and is worth a mention now that he has decided to try and make himself a problem for opposition defences, and yes, Greenacres lack of goals is definitely noticeable at the moment. Overall I'd say that a draw was a fair result and I do echo Nomur when he says that at least we are unbeaten in 8.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Tranmere were pretty poor last night to be honest. We sunk to Crewe's level which wasn't great. Too many touches, too slow build up, too much going backwards. Took the goal well, but never really threatened apart from that, disappointing.

As for the defence, and the possibility of bringing Kay into the fold, well... we CANNOT defend crosses into the box to save our lives. I reckon all our goals conceded have come from headers this season as not one of our defenders has the authority to take charge and attack the ball to get rid. Maybe Kay can do this? Don't know, not seen a lot of him tbh. But we need someone to do it and fast. We can't keep coming from behind, as draws will be the best thing we can hope for in that case. And we need wins if we have an desires to get promoted. Come on Ronnie sort them out!

Player
Goodison
what about moving Sherriff up to left midfield and playing Kay at left back instead. We need a left footer on the wing and seeing as Davies is now out for the season, could he be the answer?

I cant see sheriff playing at left midfield especially since he was signed as a centre back.If you wanted a left footer there I would play either Ahmed or Tremarco.

Jones looks fairly comfortable on either wing and Shuker did start his career as a left winger.

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
I cant see sheriff playing at left midfield especially since he was signed as a centre back.If you wanted a left footer there I would play either Ahmed or Tremarco.

Jones looks fairly comfortable on either wing and Shuker did start his career as a left winger.

Agreed, I think Shukes can play either side, and I'd actually forgotten about Ahmed. Tremarco can start but I think he bottles a little under pressure, but maybe he needs a few starts to straighten that out.

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
I suppose so, it was just an idea to get a left footer on the left hand side. I'd forgotten about Ahmed, but 442 obviously havent as he is the man they are going to follow from our club as voted for by the fans. Which numpties chose him then?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Curious as to how Chris McCready fared in this game. A number of our returning old players, most recently Ian Sharps have looked rather worse than I remembered them. Chris according to the match reports sounds like he had a decent match.